Find
Notify
Tools

300 ultra mag.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted
unbelievable: my buddy stopped by to-day to show me his target from his remington 700 sendero 300 ultra mag, not even 100% dialed in yet, and it is shooting less than 1 in. group,s, just blew my mind, factory load,s, 100yd. shot's, is this normal for this caliber, i, can't do that good with my savage .308?

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My own ultramag averages 1/2" groups with proper handloads as do my other rifles.The quality of the rifle and proper load development is far more important to accuracy than the cartridge.Many ultramag owners however are inexperienced ,lack the ability to properly develop loads and are effected by the stiff recoil this cartridge produces.As a result they never discover the accuracy potential of their guns.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Richard, I suspect they are just like any other rifle/cartridge combination - some will shoot great and some will not.

That said, I've seen two 300RUMs recently that shot very small groups. The first one was three weeks ago and the guy had a "Custom Muzzle Brake" on his. Two different guys were shooting it and they mentioned it was shooting with less "felt recoil" than a youth model 243Win M7 using factory 100gr loads they were also shooting. I didn't pay any attention to their groups until we walked down range and saw them messing with the target. I walked over and they were each able to cover one of their own 5-shot groups with a quarter and totally hide the holes. Some friendly banter about which group was smaller. HOT day and it took the barrel a good l-o-n-g while to cool between shots.

Then I saw a guy working up a new Load for his 300RUM this week with 165gr B-Tips and 1xx.xgr of RL-22(I saw him at a GunShop the next day and he said it should have been labeled RL-25 NOT RL-22). His loads were runing just above 3600fps and he said his "Fast Load" runs right at 3700fps. He uses it on our small Southeastern Whitetails - and according to him, "It kills them!"(Imagine that HA.). His rifle had the factory Muzzle Brake and it also worked just fine.

Needless to say both of these rifles were very loud. For a person that can use that kind of Impact Energy, it seems that the RUM is doing right well for a few folks.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<hcfd533>
posted
I HAVE A REMINGTON MODEL 700 SS WITH A LAMINATED STOCK IN 300 ULTRA MAG. THE FIRST DAY ON THE RANGE IT SHOT 3/4 INCH GROUPS AT 100 YARDS USING FACTORY AMMO. I HAVE SINCE WORKED UP SOME LOADS THAT SHOOT AWSOME GROUPS, AROUND 1/2 TO 1/4 INCH AT 100 YARDS. YOU HAVE TO SHOOT SLOW TO KEEP THE BARREL FROM GETTING TO HOT, THAT ALSO LETS YOUR SHOULDER HAVE A BREAK, IT DOES KICK LIKE A MULE.
ANY ONE ELSE HAVE INFO ON MUZZLE BREAKS FOR THE 300 ULTRA MAG? HOW WELL THEY WORK AT REDUCING RECOIL, HOW MUCH ADDED NOISE, ECT...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Also a 300 RUM fan; I was very particular concerning breaking in the barrel and I believe that has allowed this rifle to shoot 1/2" groups on a consistent basis - the rifle does prefer a fouled barrel (2-3 shots)over a clean barrel - the most accurate load so far is a 200 grain Partition with 90 grains of IMR 7828 - this load is over the published load in Nosler #5, however I worked up to it very slowly seeking accuracy, not the most velocity (approximately 3150 FPS in my rifle)and achieved excellent grouping with no signs of pressure - I must emphasis that I have not shot this rifle/load combination in any temperature over approximately 65 degrees - absolutely brutal on caribou [Big Grin] - the rifle has no muzzle brake so I can not comment on what difference that would make in this caliber - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Well, I have had two. One, wouldn't shoot under 3" with factory ammo. And I was lucky to get 1.5 to 2.2" groups with reloads. The throat was so long, that there was no way to reach the lands. So I did an experiment with the help of my local gun shops. I took a stoney point AOL guage with the same bullets to measure the std. dev. of these throats. The length ranged from 3.65" to 3.84". Unbelieveable in this modern day of precision metal equipment with that range. So from that, it told me that some are shooters and some are not. My second 300RUM, a 700PSS, was tack driver with 3/4" groups average. Still wouldn't shoot factory that great. Groups were always 1.2 or 1.3" Good throat length, but a little rough barrel but the edges of my rifleing was very defined when viewed with my buddies hawkeye bore scope. So what did I do, but try out this Tubbs final finish. Bad mistake. My groups opened to 1.5" with my favorite load. Tryed 4 bullets, three powders, and 2 different primers with all bad results. I ruined this gun. Looked at it thru the hawkeye scope, and all the edges was gone. Unbeivable. Yea, the overall look was smoother but at a hefty cost.

So, don't expect to go out and get a subMOA shooter just cause its a 700 Sendero. Good out of box shooters come around as often as good wifes. And for some reason, my two guns wouldn't shoot the Scirrocos at all. 3" groups was the norm. Also, pressure signs showed up real quick, unlike the Noslers and Sierras. This is also a gun that don't need a muzzlebrake in my opinion. It kicks, but once you got it mastered by 100's of rounds, you won't need a muzzlebrake. I understand people getting muzzlebreaks for 338 Ultras and greater, but for these 7mmSTW and all, I just think they are very annoying at the range. Hell, the sound of them causes me to flinch more than any recoil.

[ 07-15-2002, 18:15: Message edited by: bigcountry ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that the muzzle brake issue could go either way on the 300RUM. I have one on my PSS, and it's really nice for extended shooting sessions in the prone position. The sound is truly abusive, but I can take steps to reduce that... I do think the shooter should be courteous to those around him, though. Brakes add a LOT of noise sideways, and if others are close by, maybe you should be shooting something else that day. Don't get me wrong, you're free to do as you please, but the quickest way to wear out your welcome is to loosen everyone's dental work via muzzle blast.

Posts: 26 | Location: Somewhere in New York | Registered: 28 September 2001Reply With Quote