New
Find
Notify
Tools

173 S&B 7x57 ammo?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone used this? will the 173 open up on smallish pigs and deer? thanks capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Capt David,

The 173 opens pretty well on deer..haven't shot any pigs with it. If you are a reloader, then you'll probably have to use a different shell holder. I have ~100 rounds of S&B brass and not one of them will fit into a #3 RCBS shell holder.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I've used the 173 gr. SPCE extensively over the past two years. The sheep in my avatar was shot with it, 110 yards through the shoulder. I shot a large bodied Sika with it, 165 yards directly through both shoulder, several whitetail and axis does through the boiler room also. It seems to me that it expands pretty dramatically, however all shots have been complete pass throughs. The Sika in particular was pretty dramatic, it passed directly through the center of both shoulder bones, deer took one jump off his hind legs and was down. I've got a custom Mauser with a 24" Douglas barrel and get 2480 FPS out of this load.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACRecurve:
Capt David,

The 173 opens pretty well on deer..haven't shot any pigs with it. If you are a reloader, then you'll probably have to use a different shell holder. I have ~100 rounds of S&B brass and not one of them will fit into a #3 RCBS shell holder.

You too huh? I haven't found any shell holder that will take the stuff. BUT the "automatic" shell holder in my (Forster) Co-Ax does work for them Big Grin

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I got a box of these in a trade. They were very accurate out of my 7X57 but I shot them up before hunting season. A non-reloading friend uses them with very good results on our whitetails...

Posts: 229 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 173 SPCE load by S&B in a 7x64mm with excellent results. My Steyr likes that load better than any other factory loaded ammo. Used it to take A Gemsbok and an Impala in South Africa last year. Impala at 60 yards, dropped like a rock, took a bad 175 yard shot on the Gemsbok, so we had to track it down. Finally found it laying in the grass, end of that story. All in all, has done well on larger game, don't know what it will do on a pig, but I suspect will be satisfatory.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote