New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal 9.3x62???
 Login/Join

<Paleohunter>
posted
Here's a question for you all. With the incressed intress in the 9.3x62 and CZ seeming to sell all they can bring into the country ( source from CZ in KS ) how long do you think it will be befor some local ammo manufacture say Federal will start produceing that round here in the states?? Or do you think it doesnt stand a snow ball chance in hell of ever happening.

posted Hide Post
No doubt a great round (I confess I do need one myself...), but I would bet that the phones at Federal will need to ring louder & longer before we'll see their name on a box of 9.3x62's. They would surely be the folks to load it though. I think it's going to be a while yet.

<leo>
posted
Federal WILL be the one to do it! And I suspect they will before too long. But the '62 owners need to make that call!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I predict that 9.3x62 will be sold at home by one of the domestic manufacturers within the next 2 years.

It's definitely creeping up in popularity. There have been numerous recent magazine articles referencing the round and even MidwayUSA has started carrying 9.3mm barrel blanks!

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Federal was not responsive when we spoke with them at length. Same with Remington. Winchester will be bringing their Norma brass built Nosler loaded ammo in sometime this year. Rws has been looking at building a US load too. Hornaday has been playing with new metric calibers and they could be a player too.

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
HI

Federal is still asleep while Winchester has 9,3X62 ammo with 286 grain nosler partition.

Ohh, The ammo is made by norma in Sweden [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Cheers [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the Winchester stuff is being loaded in Europe, it would still be expensive if it was shipped to the US. I would think Hornady is the best bet for being the first to produce it domestically.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't Federal sell 416 Rigby and 470 Nitro loaded rounds? You'd think they could sell much more 9.3x62 loaded rounds than the other 2 considering that more people are likely to own a 9.3x62 verus a 416 or 470. However, and if the posts on this board are any kind of indication, most of the people who shoot these three rounds are avid reloaders. I reload for my 9.3x62, and if I could not do that, I would not have one...

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
If you look at the times of Federal's intro of those rounds mentioned they coincided with American manufactured rifles. Not to take any thing away from the wonderful 9,3's out there but Federal will not move from their rut until some one domestically mass produces a 9,3. A stainless winchester in 9,3 with a laminated stock, and iron sights coupled with Federal loading the Ballistic tip, the partition, and the 330 Woodleigh Weldcore. I would say it would be more in line with todays hunters as opposed to the ultra mag craze and the .338 06, .376 Steyr, and the .35 Whelen.

By the way look how long it took to legitimize the .35 Whelen and the .338 06 out of wild cat staus while an equal 100 year old factory standarized round everywhere in the world but here was almost an unknown until 5 years ago.

Ditto for the 7x64mm 100 years old, and sadly the 8x68, 75 years old, and 6,5x68, 75 years old. Sad but true!

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
alekojjensen,

I was unaware that someone on the US chambers a rifle in 470 Nitro. Still, I would think that many more peole would be inclined to get a 9.3x62 before they get a 470 Nitro. Other than the Ruger 416 Rigby, the only other rifle in that caliber that is within financial reach of the average man (like me) is the CZ550. That being said, with the word spreading on what a great rifle for the money that the CZ550 is, one would think that a cartridge manufacturer might want to beat the others to the punch by offering standard and premium loads for the 9.3x62. Another consideration: since the 9.3x62 is not loaded by an American manufacturer, is there some type of proof testing, or SAAMI approval procedures, or something of the like to be passed before a "new" cartridge is produced? The 9.3x62 section in my Speer manual hints at that when they state that no pressure testing specifics are availbale for this cartridge. Does somebody know for sure?

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Speer loaded 9.3x62 ammo many years ago. They[what ever their big congolermate name is now, BLOUNT, I think] ownes Federal. Contact Allan Jones at the Speer factory. Their 270 SP bullet has worked real good in my 9.3x74R.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's all about scale. A million rounds is a small run to the manufacturers, but a huge order for most buyers. The key to getting a new cartridge introduced is finding a distributor who will take the risk of buying an entire production run. The makers can still turn a profit, and they also avoid the problems of marketing and warehousing it.

Fortunately for us, Graf & Sons just announced that they are working with Hornady to offer loaded ammo, brass, and perhaps bullets for older military rifle cartridges (6.5 Carcano, 7.7 Carcano, 7.5 Swiss and 7.5 French). I emailed jeff@grafs.com to thank them and to suggest that they do the same with the 9.3x62 Mauser.

Jeff's reply was quick and courteous. He said that the military ammo program was doing better than they expected, and that they were seriously considering adding new cartridges. He promised to pass along my request to the folks that are involved in making this horse run.

I immediately emailed Hornady to thank them for the metric military ammo, and to suggest they give us some good 9.3x62 Mauser fodder. At this point, we need to let Hornady and Grafs (and Federal and Winchester and Remington) know that we have 9.3x62 rifles and that we want to use them with their ammo.

I've done what I can so far; now it's your turn. Hope this helps, Okie John.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hesitate to hold my breath until we see a 9.3x62.....

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will add that your best bet will be Norma or Lapua...

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Ray, a man's gotta have a dream.

I love Norma ammo, but trans-Atlantic shipping and northern European production costs keep it too expensive for me and most of the rest of the US market. In Seattle, Norma costs about 50% more than comprable US-made ammo in common calibers. Norma has long been the only source of ammo for oddball metric military cartridges like the ones Hornady/Grafs are bringing out, and those rounds cost even more.

The Hornady/Grafs metric military ammo will sell for around $20/box, with brass about $30/100 pcs, or just over half the Norma price. Without trans-oceanic shipping, Hornady/Grafs might be able to price 9.3x62 ammo like their metric military ammo, or little higher, and life would be pretty darn sweet for Hornady, Grafs and the discerning medium-bore rifleman. That's why I emailed them. It would be really sweet to see Hornady run with this and touch off a price war with a couple of other majors... But like I said, a man's gotta have a dream.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. All we have to do now is tell them what we want and keep talking about it here. Good hunting, Okie John.