Tools

270 Wby vs 7mm Rem Mag?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thoughts? One better than another?
What say the wisdom of this forum?

Thanks

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
The only meaningful difference between the two is the 7mm can shoot heavier bullets. .270 bullets top out about 150 unless you have a fast twist barrel. The 7mm tops out around 175.
On both calibers there may be some bullets out there that may exceed these weights and still work with older slower twist rates.
If you have a faster twist rate you can use longer heavier bullets than standard twist rates can handle.

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I have a 270 Weatherby and I would say the 7mm Rem Mag is better. I agree with 44magLeo, though a 150g Partition with Weatherby factory ammunition chronographed at 3250 fps is nothing to sneeze at. My pet varmint load for my 270 Win is a 90g Sierra HPBT at 3400. The Sierra manual list 3800 fps for the 270 Weatherby!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 7mm Remington Magnum was the first cartridge I fell in love with. I shot my dream animal, a Dall sheep in Alaska, with it. I took twelve plains game animals in South Africa with the big seven. More than thirty South Dakota whitetails were taken with it. But with that said, when I now reach for a rifle from my dozen caliber choices, the .270 Weatherby Magnum tends to be picked first. The current trend towards heavier and slower bullets doesn’t really interest me much as I like speed. Especially when it is combined with homogenous bullets like Barnes TTSX. A 110 grain .277 TTSX at almost 3700 fps is devastating on deer sized animals. Does it “kill” any better than the 7mm Remington Magnum? No. But the .270 Weatherby Magnum is a darn sexy cartridge to admire as it looks fast just sitting in the reloading tray.

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only shoot 175 gr. in my 7 Rem. Mag. I also own a 280 Rem., and I use this for my 140 gr. rounds. I guess I’d use 160s in either one, but I haven’t used that weight yet.

I use the 140s for Pronghorn & Deer, and the 175s for African PG.

I’ve never owned or shot a 270 Weatherby, so I apologize for not helping with your original question.

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve had both. Both great cartridges with similar performance. I prefer the 7mm for more variety of bullets as well as the lower price of the ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross,

The 7 MAG is more of an all arounder and I know you have plenty of rifles so I'm going to vote for the 270 WBY and as suggested the 110 TTSX. Just site in a couple inches high at a 100 and hold dead on at 400.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bottom line IMO is: Its a toss up..add the 30-06 to that list and nothing changes..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Virtually identical case capacities and .007" difference in bullet diameters. Which one is "better"? It doesn't matter so long as the gun that shoots it causes it to hit where it is aimed.

I don't care for the Weatherby radiused shoulder or the standard freebore. But the 7mm Rem is neither fish nor foul -- a .30 cal is superior for larger game and a smaller caliber is better for medium game at longer ranges.

So neither is "perfect"; but either is about 98% of what you need in most situations.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted for years with a 7 Rem Mag in a Blaser R93 Attache'....Canada, Argentina, Mexico, Alaska, out west, etc. It holds a soft spot for me.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well so much for the 7mm guilt by association

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i doubt a critter would know the difference - in you budget can afford it, get both

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The 7mm Rem. Mag. took the world by storm in the early '60s.

And for good reason.

It is still at the top of the heap as an all-around medium to medium-heavy big game hunting caliber.

I like that it can stabilize and effectively use 140-175 grain bullets at high velocities and to good effect.

I like the heavier 160-175 grain bullets, which affects my judgement, to be sure.

Also much easier to find brass and ammo than the .270 Roy, too.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also much easier to find brass and ammo than the .270 Roy, too.

One of the prime reasons to go with the 7mm RM

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
I have both. Primarily shoot hogs and whitetails. Can not see a nickels worth of difference in performance. I prefer the 7mm Weatherby just because I purchased it in Germany and hunted with it there before my SE Asia tour in 1966, but the platform for the 270 Weatherby is a BAR. I prefer that over the MarkV because of the "cool" factor of a BAR in a Weatherby caliber.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took a little different route. I shoot the .270 WSM's that can be loaded very close to the Weatherby and the 7mm STW that is hotter than the 7mm Rem. With this combo you can hunt anything that roams in North America and be confident. Actually the difference isn't worth debating about, just what one prefers. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 44magLeo:
The only meaningful difference between the two is the 7mm can shoot heavier bullets. .270 bullets top out about 150 unless you have a fast twist barrel. The 7mm tops out around 175.
On both calibers there may be some bullets out there that may exceed these weights and still work with older slower twist rates.
If you have a faster twist rate you can use longer heavier bullets than standard twist rates can handle.

That said, I'm surprised how well Woodleigh 180gr PPs shoot in my Tikka 270WSM.
They do yaw a little at close range but group well between 100 and 300 yards.

The problem is that I shoot mostly at close animals and worry that a yawing bullet might not penetrate in a straight line.

Posts: 4950 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On paper the 7mm is better but I WANTED a 270 wby so that is what I built.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
What twist is your 270 Bee? I have an 80s Mark V in 270 Weatherby I picked up for $800 that shoots really well but was thinking of sending it to the gunsmith to have a premium 1 in 8" twist barrel installed. Then again if it ain't broke don't fix it...

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a 1:9 twist benchmark barrel on it. Plan was to shoot 150 gr nosler ablr's but so far it doesn't seem to like them. Having better luck with barnes 129 gr LRX. I will try more loads tomorrow

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say any difference between
them is sorta laughable. So close
to not really even make a difference
worth discussing.

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot the 7 mag for a year or two and found I could not see it as better or worse than a 270 or 30-06..but I'm prejudice to the 06 and 270 based on years of complete success and feel the 7 mags and that would include the 270 magnums of mostly noise, and recoil and literary bluster.. stir

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Factory loads for the 7mm Mag tend to be anemic. When it first came out they advertised 175g bullets at 3000 fps. That puts it in 300 Win Mag territory.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had both. Now only have a 7mm rem mag. Very similar performance but the 7mm ammo is cheaper to buy and there is a greater variety of bullets to chose from. Get the 7mm.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Both calibers are for those who have no chronograph! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120