New
Find
Notify
Tools

Information on 300WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking at purchasing a rifle in this calibre a little way down the track.

Given this, would like to learn as much about the calibre, eg bullet weights,types , max game to be used for etc.

Rather than have members repeat what must have been hundreds of past posts on this calibre, apart from doing a search "find" etc in this section, is there by any chance a dedicated area where archived posts may have been put.

Am fully aware that a very general enquiring post such as this has the same reaction as, " have just purchased a new rifle, can you recommend a scope !!!!".

I can search this section for past posts and do not expect members to post a wave of individual posts covering ground covered many times in the past.

Thanks.

Posts: 43 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a search on the medium bore forum. I don't believe that old posts are moved out of their original forum. Also, do a search on Google, Alltheweb, or one of the other internet search engines. You will find threads from other forums and reviews from magazines. Chuckhawks.com also has good info.

I don't think you will find a lot of complaints. In short, it's more velocity than a .308 or .30-06, but the shape of the case means larger bullets intrude into the powder space a bit more than with a Win Mag, Weatherby, Ultra Mag or other large magnum. So if you want to hot rod 180s and esp. bigger you may be better off elsewhere. If you want short action but more than a .308, it's the choice.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
Go ahead and ask your questions. Most folks here don't mind telling their stories more than once. Smiler

I own a 300 WSM. What would you like to know?

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just make a load with 180gr accubonds of partitions and you can shoot everything from moose to the next door neighbours cat.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote