Find
Notify
Tools

30 Cal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted
Son wants a larg 30 cal, any sugestions on what performs the best in some of the short magnums against the long mag cases pro's con's etc

thanks
wazza

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "short magnums" approximately match the velocities of the standard magnums in FACTORY loads, but they do so at the expense of significantly higher chamber pressures. Factory loads for the .300 WSM often exhibit sticky extraction. Reloaded to the same pressures, the standard magnums provide some bit higher velocity than the shorts.

The "fat" case of the short magnums reduces the magazine capacity in some rifles to one less than that of a standard magnum.

The standard magnums handle the longer, heavier bullets much better than the short magnums.

And finally, the short magnum ammunition is significantly higher in price than that of the standard magnums.

In my view, a .300 Winchester Magnum is a better choice than a .300 WSM.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Derek is a friend of mine here in Albuquerque. His sister used to work for me. As you can see, Charley at Score High here in Albuquerque built his National Championship winning rifle.

quote:
New F-Open Champ Derek Rodgers was shooting a 300 WSM with 210-grain bullets. This heavy bullet/short magnum combo performed well in the windy afternoon conditions during Sunday’s afternoon matches. Most of the other top F-Open competitors were shooting a .284 Win or some other 7mm. Charles Ballard told us told us: “with so many guys shooting 7mms this year, the competition is tougher than ever. If I had a caliber advantage before… that’s gone. With the winds we had in the afternoons, I’m not surprised Derek Rogers did well with his 300 WSM and the heavy bullets. I want to congratulate Derek on his well-deserved win.”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As stated earlier, the short mag can equal the longer case, although at higher pressure. The shortmag will have a shorter bolt throw, usually a lighter weight, and a more compact rifle overall. It may have a tendency for feeding problems due to the case design. In reality, it does nothing new, just tries to reinvent something that has been around for years.

The .300 Winchester Mag is probably the standard for the group. The Weatherby gets a little more velocity, The H&H is sexier but gets a bit less velocity. The Norma and some others just lack popularity. So, the choice for most is between the Win. mag or the Win. Short mag.. The .300 WSM is the only Short mag that really caught on, as the .270, 7mm, and others seem to be losing ground. I have the "original" .300 Win. mag and really see no reasson for the short.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can also pick up 300 Win Mag ammo any where and find it on sale. The Short Mags not so much.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo Wazza,

Reloader? Yes, Not? How close are components/ammo?

In some cases you can attempt to control your own destiny but when it's all over & done, regardless of where you are on this globe; if your son desires a 30 Caliber Magnum ....

..... 300 Win. Mag.

..... and that from someone who's 300 Magnum is the Holy Grail - 300 Weatherby Magnum.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.300 Win Mag.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
What's the application? Is he sniping elk at 400+ yards? Why does he want a magnum?
There's not much a magnum will do that an -06 won't unless you jump up to the RUM or 30-378. BOOM

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 300 Win mag and feel it is all I need in a .30 mag. I would not trade it for the 300 WSM.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Big GrinGet him a .300 H&H and let him be the envy of all his future contemporaries.Short action my sweet patuty; elegance and class up front. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, will be for camels here in Western Australia and maybe back to New Zealand for Tahr etc, will be relaoding as well. Persnaly I don't see the need as already have a 7mm rem mag but guys he works with all have big 30's, must be a young person thing Big Grin

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wazza56:
Thanks guys, will be for camels here in Western Australia and maybe back to New Zealand for Tahr etc, will be relaoding as well. Persnaly I don't see the need as already have a 7mm rem mag but guys he works with all have big 30's, must be a young person thing Big Grin
Yep, nearly every young shooter goes through such a stage. I own a number of "big rifles" that I've hunted with successfully through the years. But with each passing year I find more and more virtues in the lesser, but still adequate, calibers. Regardless, a .300 Winchester will serve him well, though perhaps be a little more than is necessary most of the time.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm!I have been out of the link lately and just got back on line and this thread caught me eye!We were at the range doing a final pre samber season sight in.I shoot a TC Venture 30.06 and reload and my good mate shoots a Styre 30wssm with factory stuff.We hade the chrony along.

Thompson.
Rem brass&primer
168grntsx.
59grns ar2209/H4350
40 tol.
Av 2916 fps.

Styre 30wssm.

180 grn winchester factory.
2886 fps.

Accuracy with the Thomo was brilliant.With reloading the wssm would show its advantage but hell! 10 grns of powder less and I wont need to rebarrel in my life time.

Posts: 39 | Location: australia | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote