Find
Notify
Tools

Sako actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted
Anyone know the difference between a Sako action "V" or the "SM" . I know that Sako first put out the WSM calibers in the AV, but now have them in the "SM" action. I been advised by a few people to not buy the AV action in the Finnlight for the 300WSM.

Any help or comments is appreciated. I'm looking for a friend who really wants the 300WSM Sako Finnlight, but I'm trying to convince him to just get the Sako m75 300WM in either the SS or LS-grey wolf model.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you. The AV is not a good action for the WSM calibers. The traditional 300 Win mag model is a very tried, true and tested design.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "SM" action is a .308 length magnum action, it's not just a short action ("III" as I recall) with a magnum boltface, as the Sako magnum bolt is larger in diameter I believe.

My 75 is a .270WSM on the SM action, a fine one it is too.

Posts: 187 | Location: SE Nebraska, USA. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mighty Peace, the original WSM's in the M-75 were built on the V (five) action with a mag box that had a spacer in it to facilitate feeding. They then designed a specific short action as Planemech said, and claim it is stiffer than the V action, and feeds and functions better with the WSM case. Having both, I can't tell any difference, except my first one on the V action had a shorter barrel, otherwise all of mine shoot well, a couple really, really well.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There have never been any WSM's factory-built on the "A-V" two-lug action. The "A-V" was an action very similar to the original L61R and was discontinued a number of years ago.

The "V" action you speak of is the current Model 75-V, the longest version of the currently-produced three-lug Model 75.

Sako's current action designation system using the model of "75" followed by I, II, III, IV, or V to indicate the length of the action tends to confuse many people with the Sako A-series from the 1980's that was A-I (.222 family), A-II (.308 family), and A-III ('06 and magnums). The A-III was shortly superceded by the A-V (no A-IV for some reason) which apparently differed only in the length of the tang.

Model 75's shouldn't be confused with real Sakos. pissers

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

Model 75's shouldn't be confused with real Sakos. pissers

Never have truer words been spoken. You must be a quality guy!

Regards
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote