THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Simpson & Suhl M98, 9.3x62 from 1920's

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simpson & Suhl M98, 9.3x62 from 1920's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Could someone please go to this site and post pictures (1),(2),(6). for the pleasure of viewers
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976565725.htm

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
That is one great looking 'CLASSIC EURO' bolt gun, I'd love to take it on a trip to Zim hunting Eland and buffalo.
Good Hunting& Shooting,Adam C.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been drooling on that rifle for some time now.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Six grand? I think not.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too much? Confused Well, I am not so sure, it comes from the factory of Gerson, Leonhard and Julius Simson, so some wealthy Jewish boy might buy it. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well it would cost about another grand to have some rings fitted for those Claw mounts. That rifle is very nice, and then some, the photo's don't do the barrel work any justice. Looks like the sights are milled out of the barrel, so It tells me that a lot of hand work went into it. These days you could spend a good $3,000.00 on just having that barrel recreated. As for the asking price, well that is what they are asking, not what they may take. If it had John Rigby Westley Richards or Holland and Holland on the barrel, you would be looking at 10 to 15 grand, maybe a bit more than that. If you notice the front swivel fixture, thats been milled there so it would never break, its a little thing that took the smith a week or two with a file to shape and finish.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't begin to know how to price a rifle like that. I do know you couldn't have it built for the asking price.

I bet you'd play hell trying to find a smith that could save those mounts that's not booked up for the next 10yrs though.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I still see engraved ribbed barrel pre-war Suhl Mausers for much less than $6K, even at the high-dollar shows like Vegas. It's a decent enough piece, but not the quality of a pre-war Merkel, JP Sauer, Kettner, Haenel or Krieghoff. I'd put the value somewhere between $1-$2K.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote