Find
Notify
Tools

8mm Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted
I have a few questions regarding the 8mm Mauser(8X57mm).

What bullet weights are best for deer and hogs, at ranges, say, inside 100 yards. Anybody ever shoot 220-250 gr. bullets?

In a military rifle with a 30" barrel, what type of velocity is attainable? 2230 fps was the chronographed load for the 170 gr. factory load. It was supposed to go 2360 fps.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tod, the factory loadings are very anemic, they worry about people sticking the loads in rifles with .318" bores I guess. If you handload, you can pick up these speeds a lot. I use 175 gr Sierras in front of 50 gr of 4064 for 2700 fps (chronographed). I've also been developing loads for the Remington 185 gr CoreLokt. So far, I've gotten good accuracy at 2650 fps, again in front of 4064. Start at 45 gr and work up. For the heavier bullets I move up in case capacity, to the 8mm-06 AI and the 8mm Rem Mag. I think with the two bullets mentioned (especially the corelokts) you should be able to hunt anything you would ude an 8mm Mauser on. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
In a 98K with the issue barrel of 23.6" I get 2800fps with Nosler 180gr Ballistic Tips ahead of a slightly compressed load (49gr) of IMR 4064. There are no pressure signs and SD is 9fps.

I have not used this combo for deer, but the 180gr Ballistic Tip has performed very well in my 8mm-06 Ackley Improved @ 2960fps MV. Hits through the rib cage have resulted in deer dropping imediately @ yardages from 60-225yds.

[ 09-01-2002, 17:04: Message edited by: wildcat junkie ]

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
For hogs and deer the rem cor=lok factory ammo is fine to 200 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tod - As the good Canadian Dan suggests, the 8mm Mauser is a cartridge that benefits enormously from handloading. The 8 is a cartridge on par with the 30/06, although perhaps not quite as versatile. However, you will have to reload your 8mm to reap these benefits. It will handle any big game the 30/06 will tame. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I use the 200 grain Nosler Partition in my 8X60 RS double rifle, which I load to about the same levels as you can get with the 8X57JS in a bolt-action, between 2400-2500 FPS. A good load for anything up to elk.

<257 AI>
posted
I am using the 185gr Corelocks on top of 50gr of IMR 4320 and it works great. I'm getting 2650-2700fps and 3 shot groups well under an inch. I have some 200gr Partitions over 50gr of IMR 4350 that I haven't clocked yet but they shoot well in my rifle. I haven't used this for deer yet but will this year.

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by todbartell:
I have a few questions regarding the 8mm Mauser(8X57mm).
Thanks in advance

Tod,

if you are sure of the correct barrel diameter, which should be .323", go with european factory loads from Norma or RWS, or load your own. Norma Oryx 196 grs. is a high class premium bullet with high accuracy. Another good bullet is the Barnes X 180 grs, which I load for my 8x60 (equals the 8x57). You�ll find some data at www.norma.cc or at www.vihtavuori.fi - perhaps these powders are a bit hard to get in the US.

To get the barrel diameter, you take a piece of lead and hammer it cautiously into the muzzle with a mallet. 1/8" is enough. Measure with a caliper - .323" or 8.20 mm are correct for standard 8 mm bullets. If you get .318 or 8.08mm, you MUST NOT use standard 8mm - get some 318" bullets. Barnes makes the X for that dimension, although they don�t list it, and RWS and Hawk have some choices.

The 8 mm Mauser is a quite nice and useful round - good for most american and european game.

Best regards,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 20" VZ-24, I use 54gr of H-380 with a 175gr Sierra, I get 2600fps and sub 1/2 MOA groups.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 160 gr. GS, the 200 gr. Speer, and the 250 Woodleigh on game with my Brno 8x57 M-21.....I like the 160 GS real well and the 250 Woodleigh will kill any thing at about 2300 FPS....

Posts: 41841 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brno Mod 21 in 8x57. Using 180 gn Balistic tips over 55 gn AR2209. Great groups, haven't put them over a chronograph yet but this load is dynamite on Brumby's and pigs etc.
GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CG375,
The Brno 21 and 22F are without a doubt the finest commercial rifle ever produced...They can also be loaded hotter than most guns because they have long magazines and long throats...I use strictly H414 in massive dosages with my Brnos in 8x57 Rifle and 7x57 Manlicher..

I have noticed few shooters in the US are even familiar with these two models made early on, but they do bring a premium these days when you can find one. the are up to about $1400 up in the US today, with an ocassional bargain for $900. 7x57 and especially the 7x64 are bringing premium prices.

Posts: 41841 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I have shot 220 grain Hornady's through my m98/29 Persian with the 29.1" barrel using H4831sc. The problem is the powder is compressed too much. I wanted to use these as they were on sale, cheap and I like heavy bullets.

I found the Persian had a short throat and had a 'smith lengthen the thraot 0.300" and now I can use the full length of the magazine and set the bullets out there.

I have not loaded the 200 grainers I have but I chose that weight looking at all the velocities in all the variosu manuals and this seems to give the best velocity with a decently heavy weight.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray

I'm with you - the mod 21's and 22's are gorgeous. I love how slim they are in the mag area. I Would love to get a hold of a mod 21 in 6.5x57 for my wife to hunt with! I have the 8x57 and a custom 270 made up on a mod 21 action. You can have a look at it if you go back a couple of pages in the "Gunsmithing" page. The post is called "Aussie Custom Rifle" or something like that.
Cheers.
GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen
I have two 8mm. Number one is one of several Mausers that my Dad picked up on the steps of the Cologn cathedral steps shortly after the gentlemen who were using them were shot. The wood stock is stained and the metal is discolored from the blood. My Grandfather used it as his hunting rifle in Colorado for a lot of years.
The second one is a military BRNO, sporterized, with an 18in barrel, wonderful American walnut stock.
I would love to start shooting both of these rifles but buying brass is expensive compared to 30-06, etc.
Does anybody any sources for reasonably priced 8mm brass.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
arkypete,
I am surprised that nobody beat me to replying to this.
You can you 06 brass to form 8mm brass. Remove the decapper/expander assy from the FL 8mm die(I use a second die). Lube and run the 06 brass thru the die, trim to length. Run the back thru the die with the decapper/expander assy back in the die and waaaalaaa! I use surplus brass that is not stamped 30-06. Happy Hunting.

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote