New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x74R
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does this case lend itself to to a better shape ala Ackley. I thought of converting a Ruger#1 using RWS cases.
Anybody knows of an available reammer. Th e rifle has a heavy 22" barrel, too havy in fact.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about blowing it out as in the shoulder
on an existing 9.3x74R or what ?

The 74R case is very tapered case.

Will wait for your reply.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500N.
Yes that is what I was thinking of. Elwood Epps in Canada did the same with a 303. Don't know if it is a good idea.

It looks to me that it can be done. While the barrel is off, it could be lightened by milling octagon. I thought someone had done it
and there would be a reamer kicking around. To buy a new reamer for just one job would be a bit extravagant for what you gain.

The 9.3x74R by itself is one very good cartridge, and mine is very accurate with 250gr Nosler bullets. The rifle is a Ruger #1 with a 22" barrel

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Great idea
quote:
Originally posted by ZERMEL:
Does this case lend itself to to a better shape ala Ackley. I thought of converting a Ruger#1 using RWS cases.
Anybody knows of an available reammer. Th e rifle has a heavy 22" barrel, too havy in fact.

Great idea!! I think the Ruger No. 1 has both too heavy and too short a barrel for the 9.3x74R cartridge. Whether one "Ackleyizes" it or not, making an octagon tube out of it to lighten it up would certainly improve things from my point of view. I probably won't "Ackley" mine, 'cause I'd like the same ammo to work in both my No. 1 and my DR. But, if I didn't have the DR, I'd do it in a heart beat.

It's either that, or get a new barrel with the equivalent of about a Shilen #2 taper and install it to a finished barrel length of 25". Put clones of Ruger sights, 1/4 rib, and sling swivel band on it, and one would have what I would have preferred from Ruger in the first place......

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes you could blow out the 9,3x74R case. Take a look at the 7x65R and the 8x75R cases...

However, what would you gain, a hundred fps???

Even if it was two hundred fps, how much would the increase killing power be, for the trouble spent???

Not worth the trouble and expense, IMHO.

Seeing as how I have shot a bunch of animals with the 9,3x74R with 286 gr bullets at @2225fps, some as far as 300 yards, including cape buff, giraffe and an elephant, I just do not see the need for all the Drama of a 9,3x74R wild cat...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote