Notify
Tools

338 Lapua
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted
Hi
Just bought a Sako TRGS 338 Lapua. I sitting down to order Dies does anyone have sugestions.
Should I neck size or full length size. What about a crimp.
Also I plan to shoot Barnes TSX 180gr or 210gr or 225gr
Thanks
Dr B

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a .338 Lapua just like you just bought. I full length resize, and would state that my chamber would not let me use neck sizing only. I do not crimp, but may someday, I have so many rifles I just simply have not bought a crimping die for them all. Use any bullet you want to, but the large case capacity of the Lapua lets you to shoot large bullets fast, many rifles will shoot the 180 grain bullets fast, but a little rifle will not shoot the largers bullets fast. Remember the smaller bullets are shorter also, and may not stablize as well at distance. The Lapua really shines from 225 grains up. thumb Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi and congratulations on the new rifle. Two suggestions: 1. Find bullets of the highest ballistic coefficient. Have a look at Lapua bullets.Dont be obsessed with any particular bullet maker.
2. Buy the BIG bottle of Ibuprofen for the recoil headaches you are about to suffer.

Posts: 200 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I own 2 338 LM.Since your rifle has a twist of 1 in 12,you'll probably get better results with 250 gr. bullets such as the Lapua SCenar or Sierra Matchking.With a muzzle brake even the heaviest loads aren't bad to shoot. Without a brake or suppressor-you are risking a detached retina-recoil is on the order of 46-52lbs.I use lapua brass exclusively and only FL size when necessary(4th to 5th loading). Dies are hard to come by,I use RCBS.Under NO circumstance crimp this load,2-3 thousandsth neck tension is sufficient.I've tried many combinations of loads,but from 100-400 yards. 83 grains of VH-N560,Fed215 primer,and 250 gr. Lapua scenar seated to a COL of 3.650 has proven to be sub moa in both my AR30 and McMillan MCRT.I've become obsessed about this cartridge and enjoy its performance. Two caveats: keep your barrel cool-no extended strings of fire,barrel life is poor.If you don't have the Sako brake-BUY it-or you WILL NOT be able to shoot without flinching.Also since you plan on shooting game bullets I would stay with the heavier bullet. A 225 gr. will EASILY exceed 3000 fps.But again,I would not crimp this round.

Posts: 5 | Location: Northern NewJersey | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote