New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold QR & QRW
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What�s the difference between the QR & QRW? Which system is the sturdiest? Which one would you put on a .338 Win Mag? Thanks.

C-ROY

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
C-Roy... if you read Don Martin's thread below on scope mounts, you can look at our dialogue concerning QRW's... I had them on quite a few rifles... 22-250, 243, 308, 270, 338 Win Mag and 375 H&H... I'd never use them again.

I can't speak to the "QR's from first-hand experience, but can only report second-hand that they're not a particularly good arrangement from a strength and function standpoint. Maybe someone else with actual experience can help-out...

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,
I read the post and appreciate your comments. From what I can tell the QR mounting system doesn't apper to be as rigid as the QRW system.

Have you ever tried the Burris Signature Zee Rings?

C-ROY

[This message has been edited by C-ROY (edited 04-15-2002).]

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
C-Roy, yep, I've had several Warne's... I actually think they're quite nice, especially since they went to a two-screw system at the top of the ring. They no longer offer, I believe, thumb-knobs... pitty, I liked them better than the levers.

I like light-weight stuff, so that's why I've stuck to plain-jane Weaver's... on the plastic-synthetic stuff they look right at home. On a finer, blued/walnut rifle, I'd use Talley's or Warnes... I think the Talley's are a bit better.

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,
Sorry about the switch. I had typed in Warne but meant to type Burris, which I edited to. Today is definitely Monday.

I just ordered the Warne bases and the Burris Signature Zee Rings. I may get a pair of the quick detachable Warne rings as a back up. If I were to damage a scope in the mountains on a pack in elk hunt the hunt would be over. So having a scope ready to go in an emergency situation is something that is appealing.

C-ROY

<MFH>
posted
The last set of QRW rings I got were built heavier than the previous ones I had. I would have no hesitation on a 338. I used them to replace the Burris ZEE rings I tried to use on a lightweight 300win. For me, there was no comparison.

MFH

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I've have the QR's on four rifles, ranging from a .270 Win to a 375H&H. I have not had any problem with them and am quite satisfied. The QR's are higher in profile than the QRW's and can partially block iron sights.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had (key word) QRW's on one gun- but no longer. It was a Knight muzzleloader. I took them off and examined the bases, and the recoil lug grooves were beat to hell from the round recoil lug hammering into the square recoil lug groove. These were Leupold steel QRW bases by the way. I would hate to see what it would have done to Weaver's aluminum bases. This was on a 50 cal. muzzleloader. With 150 grains of pyrodex, recoil can be strong, but nothing like the large magnum rifle cartridges. I just think the recoil lug was poor design. They should have listed to the old saying "you can't put a round plug in a square hole".

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote