Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 swede
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of citori
posted
I am thinking of buying a cz 550 fs for my boys (11, 14,15)to use for plainsgame in Africa. I want to balance recoil and terminal effectiveness. I like the looks of the full stock 550. My question is ammo availability. How available is 6.5 mm Swede worldwide? Any other thoughts on my choice?

By the way, I'm citori3 from the old board. I couldn't seem to get back on when the format changed so I had to reenlist as citori.

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5mm should be available pretty much anywhere, I think most of Africa and Europe have better 6.5 selection that North America does, anyways. It's a good choice for the 'teens, and should be deadly on big game with some stout 140gr. loads.

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
BTT

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a marvelous round.

In the US, the commercial ammunition is loaded for the older military pressures, so you don't get the full performance. That may not be a problem in your part of the world.

Loaded to modern pressures, as you can in the CZ, I get 3075 fps from a 120 grain bullet, using a 24" bbl.

Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find the 6.5x55 an excellent cartridge. Your best loaded ammo will probably come from Norma or Lapua. I shoot reloads only and got my moose last year in Northern Ontario with the Sierra 160gr. SPSP. If you have a commercial action like Remington it's much stronger than those of the old military rifles, and you can bump the loads up quite a bit and safely. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of exabit
posted Hide Post
You would not believe the incredible amount of fuzz the 6,5x55 has caused in Sweden over the 20+ years or so. It is the lightest caliber allowed for moose hunting here.

The 6,5x55 people always said it was more than adequate, while the "magnum boys" stated that it was absolutely under-dimensioned.

Nevertheless, something like the 30-06 is a better moose caliber, and the 9,3x62 probably is the most renowned and best moose caliber in Sweden, when looking at price, recoil, trajectory, and hitting power.

I myself didn't get a 6,5x55 until very recently (two weeks ago, I already have three American magnums). I will use it only for deer and practice though.

Anyway, the 6,5x55 is adequate for moose (given proper bullet placement of course, as always) and the enjoyable recoil certainly makes good shots possible.

Citori, I'm sure your lads will enjoy the rifle and the recoil will be very endurable for them. To answer your original question: ammo availability is very good in Europe. However, I don't know what the situation is like in Africa.

Best of luck with your new firearm! Wink

/ Rikard

Posts: 209 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the 6.5x55 Swede is an excellent choice for your boys. I bought a Howa Lightning in 6.5x55 for my 2 younger boys (ages 13 and 15), as I believe it is the best compromise in big game effectiveness without stout recoil. Not sure how available ammo would be in Africa, but it is certainly available here in the USA. If you want the stouter loads, be prepared to spend some dough, because Norma and Lapua are quite proud of their products. I noticed Natchez Shooter's Supply has some of the Sellier & Bellot 6.5x55 ammo on sale (with the 131 gr Soft Point bullet). I think they were asking around $8.91 for a 20 round box, a good deal and the brass is reloadable. Link
I think the best way to shoot the 6.5x55 is to handload it, as the others have stated. In a modern rifle, you can get some pretty decent ballistics with handloads. Another good option would be a .260 remington, but ammo may be even harder to find. A .270 Winchester would work well, but does have significantly more recoil than the 6.5x55. Good luck.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I llike the 6.5 Swede, and it is very capable. Unfortunately, while popular in Europe, it is unknown in Republic of South Africa. I don't know why. I got blank looks anytime I mentioned the 6.5 Swede. They are more familiar with the 6.5 Mannicher.

If you want to be able to resupply from a African source, go with .243 or 308. Use the 100 grain or heavier bullets in .243 (you have to get more twist I believe) for penetration, and use light bullets in the .308 (130 grain) to reduce recoil. Both will work very well for your young men on plains game. Ku-dude

PS: I believe the "lost ammo" issue is a red herring. I've been seven times, and it always came through. (Knock on wood!) K-d

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ550 FS in 6.5x55, it's my favorite little carbine. It will get "blooded" this year! I do offer a couple of suggestions however: 1. Handload, handload, handload! Use Lapua or Graf brass which is the correct size. Also use good 125-140 bullets. If you don't handload, try to get some decent European ammo. 2. The classy little carbine deserves a classy little scope! I just put a Leupold 1.5-5x20/Warne Medium QD Maxima ring setup on mine, replacing the Leupold 3-9x40/Warne Medium Permanent Maxima setup previously on the gun. The new scope/ rings are the perfect height and have plenty of FOV. The factory CZ rings are way too high, don't bother purchasing them. The 3-9/Maxima setup was also just a tad high for me for some reason. And no, NECG does not have an aperture sight for CZs.....too bad.

Get those kids a CZ550 FS chambered in the 6.5 'Twede and I'll guarantee dad will have fun with it too!

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5x55 Swede is a great choice for deer, etc.,, and don't worry about worldwide acceptance, it is already there. Went to Africa last year, and the light rifle for 3 out of 5 in our party was a 6.5x55 Swede. That says something.

Larry

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
Ok, I hate detachable mags which is one reason I'm considering the cz in 6.5 Swede. I would prefer 7mm-08. All the cz's with fixed mags are long actions. Would I be better off with a Ruger RSI in 243 or 308? Ruger doesn't chamber it in 7mm-08. I'd appreciate feedback.

one of us
Picture of C. A. Plater
posted Hide Post
You can get a Remington Seven in 7-08 and the full stock but it comes from the cu$tom $hop and lists for $1322.

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -- Thomas Jefferson
http://tcbunch.com

Posts: 181 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our local gunshop here in town has a CZ 550 with the full stock in 6.5x55. It crossed my mind as a potential rifle for my 13 year old son. How is the accuracy of the CZ rifles?

Posts: 214 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
My cz in 375 H&H is accurate. From what I've heard, average accuracy of the cz's is marginally better than typical Remington or Winchester.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duckster:
Our local gunshop here in town has a CZ 550 with the full stock in 6.5x55. It crossed my mind as a potential rifle for my 13 year old son. How is the accuracy of the CZ rifles?

Mine shoots groups 1 1/4" tall by 2 1/2" wide from a sling supported prone position using my handloads.

At 200 yards. Big Grin