THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Velocity/Accuracy results w/Hornady 270 140 FACTORY AMMO

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Velocity/Accuracy results w/Hornady 270 140 FACTORY AMMO
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not too pleased with the results in terms of accuracy...couldn't manage less than 3" at 100 yards in my BRNO ZKK600...but velocity results very interesting.

Hornady 270 #8056 140 Grain Interlock FACTORY AMMUNITION ; 23.50" BARREL
2989 fps
2977 fps
2935 fps
2932 fps
2930 fps

The rifle has produced, with handloads, groups of less than 1" at the same distance...using Hornady 140 grain Interlocks on top of 54.5 grains VIHT 160...so I am not too pleased with the grouping capability of the Hornady factory ammunition!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Enfield, that is intersting if depressing. Was the 3" group for the five shots listed above?

Your normal load of 54.5gr N160 is fairly robust. My rifle started to show pressure signs at 54gr's, sticky bolt and flattened primers. What does your load chrono at?

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The group listed above and every other bl**dy group at £1.00 a shot!

The re-load was very pleasant, in fact, it chronographed at a comfortable 2800fps, in that all the loads were hovering around 2830 to 2840 from memory.

I use standard, normal, RCBS dies and full-length size. I do crimp using a Lee Factory Crimp dies which, they say, reduces the pressure as it smooths out the pressure curve. Apparently!

Bear in mind that these old BRNO rifles do have 23 1/2" barrels. I also did some work with H4831SC, but have mislaid the results!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
You now have a nice new shiney Hornady box and some new hornady brass?

I see a solution....

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shh... stir

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I would attribute 2MOA of accuracy difference to the velocity spread you are listing.

Honestly, I would assume something else was also wrong.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote