THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    If you load the 300 H&H read this !

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you load the 300 H&H read this !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The hornday Manual #7 shows a max load of 72.5 grs of RL-22 under a 180 grain bullet using Winchester primers in Hornady cases. And list 2900 for the velocity.
After shooting this load today, i decided it kicked more then i wanted to subject myself to in the future, and fired the 10 i brought with me and called it good.
I went to wally world and they had the new Hornady manual on sale 26.95. Brought it home and looked at the old 300 H&H in this new Version, they have reduced the charge by 5.3 grains to 67.2.
the only other component change is a CCI250 primer. Velocity is shown at 2850.
Nosler shows a max charge of 71grs and velocity of over 3000.
I had no pressure signs and the brass resized easy as pie. But i think I will load down to 70grs of RL 22 And shoot over my Chrony.
A 5.3 grain Reduction in powder charge is no small matter. the primer makes a difference and lot to lot variations too. But if you are shooting these hotter loads , i would Get a chronograph reading. Your pressure might be a we bit high.
If i am around 2950 to 3025 i will be quite happy with the load. If i needed more then that i would buy a different cartridge...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite load for 31 years for the 300 H&H is 72 grains
of H 4831 with a 215 Mag primer and the
Sierra 165 gr or 168 gr match bullets. Great
accuracy and performance at about 3,000 fps.
Try it you might like it.

Good Hunting & Shooting

Tetonka
DRSS & Band of Bubbas

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tetonka:

Good Hunting & Shooting

Tetonka
DRSS & Band of Bubbas

great load, I use this one also, very accurate.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Pretty much that's the ONE rifle I regret moving on. I keep thinking I might do another .300 H&H in a Ruger #1. I love that old gal of a cartridge.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by tetonka:

Good Hunting & Shooting

Tetonka
DRSS & Band of Bubbas

great load, I use this one also, very accurate.

Me too, but I use 168 gr Barnes TTSX.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My standby load is 70 grain Norma MRP pushing a 200grain Nosler AB. Vo= 920 m/sec.
I use Norma cases. No signs of overpressure or sticky boltlift. The barrel is a Shilen 24" with 1:10 twist.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just because some numbers in one edition of a book changed doesn't mean that the old numbers weren't appropriate with those components in that particular rifle.

1. Hornady may have used a different rifle (or pressure barrel) for the different editions. Different barrels can result in different pressures/velocities with the same load.

2. RL-22 (also sold under the Norma label as MRP) varies more than most powders from lot to lot. One set of data could have been established with a "slow" lot while the other was with a "fast" lot.

3. Different technicians use different criteria for their published loads. One may have used copper crusher (CUP), another may have used piezo-electric (PSI), or yet another simply case head expansion or primer appearance. And one may adhere to SAAMI published pressure standards and the other to CPI-adopted standards.

However, I'll agree that a change in "maximum" (I abhor the inaccuracy of that term) loads of nearly 7 1/2 percent is an unusually large change. In the end the .300 H&H should be compared to cartridges of similar case capacity -- the .300 Win Mag is just a bit larger and the .300 WSM a bit smaller. Therefore, at similar pressures with similar powders and the same bullet the H&H can be expected to yield (on average) velocities somewhere between those two cartridges.

I shoot 180s in my .300 H&H propelled by a load of IMR7828SSC at 2960 fps. It is quite capable of yielding more velocity at sustainable pressures, but I like to shoot it at something near its classic velocity.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
67 gr IMR 4831 CCI LRM primers, Nosler 180BT 3050FPS works wonders.

Just worked up 68 gr IMR4831 CCI LRM primer, Nosler 168 CTBT ~3100fps

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will give that a try, a good 165 grain bullet at about 3100 would be great for the big mule deer in eastern Oregon...

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just an observation, but I have noticed that over the years many or most of the loading manuals have backed off on their load data.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Just an observation, but I have noticed that over the years many or most of the loading manuals have backed off on their load data.

Agree.

The only reason - if you were a suspicious type - would be to make the 'other' .300 magnums look faster. Roll Eyes

popcorn

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The loading manuals due to frivoulas law suits have backed off a hell of a lot..M old 1940s to 1950 books are max plus max and a tad more..

when testing my 300 H&H I loaded way up yonder with several powders and to real max..I won't quote them as the more pernoid would simply expel their last breath and succumb and I wouldn't want that! faint

My pet load with a 180 gr. Nosler is 73.5 grs of old H4831 and 72.8 of todays H4831, I use thesam load for a 200 gr. Accubond. all of which take a 3 lb hammer to seat the powder much less a bullet!! that powder is mild for velocity more so than anything else I know off.. I got my best velocity with 7828 in a 26 inch barrel gun and it shined like a silver dollar, but the powder was hard to come by for awhile and I reverted to my reserve of old H4831. shocker sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote