THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    215 and 225 TSX in .338 Win Mag I need load data?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

215 and 225 TSX in .338 Win Mag I need load data?
 Login/Join

posted
I am blessed with the opportunity to load for a 26" barreled A-bolt in .338 Win Mag. I want to try the TSX bullets. Does anyone have some load data and experience?

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
I'd definitely start with RE19, WLR primers, 73grs. seemed to be the max when I Loaded for 225IBs couple months ago. That load put 2 shots touching at 100yds., my buddy hasn't shot any since then, so don't know where the 3rd shot might go, I use the Hornady method for working up loads, 2 shot groups, gives you a very good idea of what kind of accuracy you might get from a load.
BTW, What kind of game will the TSXs be used for? I personally can't see paying that much for bullets, when I know what the IBs will do on elk size game. Just my opinion. beer Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I use IMR 4350 in my .338 A-Bolt. It gives me .75 MOA and 3050 fps. My load is 72 grains with a 210 Partition. Back the load off to try with your TSXs. IMR 4350 is one of, if not the best powder for a .338 Win Mag IMHO !!!

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What bowhuntrrl said.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowhuntrrl:
I use IMR 4350 in my .338 A-Bolt. It gives me .75 MOA and 3050 fps. My load is 72 grains with a 210 Partition. Back the load off to try with your TSXs. IMR 4350 is one of, if not the best powder for a .338 Win Mag IMHO !!!

Not from results I saw with RE19. eek2 Jay

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Yep, Re19 for me as well with 225 grain TSXs. I worked up to 75 grains, but that's the max X-bullet load in the Barnes manual, so approach it from below. I found it to be a an accurate and deadly load in my M70. This year I think I'll try some Hornady IBs just 'cuz...

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
Yep, Re19 for me as well with 225 grain TSXs. I worked up to 75 grains, but that's the max X-bullet load in the Barnes manual, so approach it from below. I found it to be a an accurate and deadly load in my M70. This year I think I'll try some Hornady IBs just 'cuz...

You go and try them IBs, you should find them very accurate, loaded them for a friends Nikko Golden Eagle, even the the hotter loads were under an inch, albiet with 2 shot groups, each load hit in about the exact same spot on his 3 separate targets, 73grs. RE19, WLR primers. thumb Jay

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jay,
If you will, explain to me this Hornady two shot group you mentioned in the above post(s). I am interested as I have dozens of two shot groups barely larger than the OD of the bullet.

Thanks, Art.

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ART338WM:
Jay,
If you will, explain to me this Hornady two shot group you mentioned in the above post(s). I am interested as I have dozens of two shot groups barely larger than the OD of the bullet.

Thanks, Art.

Quoted from Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading. Third edition.
"When working up a load, we recommend the Hornady method of loading pairs of cartridges with powder charges in increments of one grain or less depending on case volume, and ranging from the bottom to the top of the velocity range, as listed in the Hornady manual. Here, the reloader can observe two important factors: first the gradual increase in pressure signs, and second, the accuracy of the various pairs of shots, If a given pair of shots show exceptional accuracy, the reloader can try several rounds in this range and quickly verify whether or not it is a good load for his rifle. This process reduces the total number of rounds necessary in determining the most desirable load for a specific rifle".

And thats the name of that tune. Jay