New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BOSS & noise
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking at a used browning with a BOSS. Do these increase noise like a muzzlebrake?
Are they as useful as the ads claim?

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The standard boss has a built in muzzlebrake and yes it does greatly increase the noise to the shooter.The boss equipped rifles are also equipped with shorter barrels so they also produce less velocity than the non boss equipped rifles.My own boss also kept coming loose which resulted in the point of impact changing.On the positive side,the boss can to tuned to get the optimum accuracy from a given load.On the other hand my non boss equipped rifles were just as accurate than my boss equipped rifle with both using proper handloads.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless stalker in 300 win mag. I find mine louder at the range but my arm feels fine afterward. I think it's a great idea for the larger cal. mag so you can get used to your rifle without gaining a flinch. Then hunting season comes you put on the CR end and your off. In case your wondering I've tried it the CR end does not effect point of impact so no need to return to the range. They also work great on accuracy but that was secondary to me.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
They make way too much noise, especially if you're hunting buddy has one and your trying to spot game next to him and he pulls the trigger! Happened a few years ago and my ears rang for a few days.

Although the noise is unacceptable the worst part, IMO, is that (on the same shot mentioned above) if your prone, using a short bipod or shooting over your backpack and the ground is dusty, as it can be when one is outside, the rearward muzzle blast also stirs up a bunch of dust.

The increased level of complexity, noise and potential to create dust storms, when added to questionable increases in accuracy make them a dud as far as I'm concerned.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a used M70 Classic Supergrade in 300 WM with the Boss a couple of years ago to see what they are like and to perhaps use the Supergrade or it's parts for something.

After some trips to the range and handling the rifle I conclude that it's just too bulky a gun for only 30 caliber.

The Boss adds at least 3" to the rifle and a 1/4 lb of weight.

I never did get it to shoot any better with or without the Boss so I started to make a cover for the threads but when I got a new Kimber Montana in a WSM I could see that the big M70 was obsolete. So it's going to be left at a dealer next week if I get the time.

I finally did shoot it with the brake on it to see what it was like. Before that I used the solid piece for accuracy testing. The Boss did reduce the recoil quite a bit. All the shooting was from the bench and I used ear plugs and muffs.

Here in the USA we just don't use silencers but that would be the way to go and to make it also do what the Boss does adjustment wise. An adjustable silencer with a brake would be very interesting. Alas they are not legal for hunting in many states. They are legal in CT however.

The noise for bystanders borders on the dangerous from those brakes.

In summary if that rifle is not too heavy for you then try it. It's all good clean fun.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I dont care for the looks of them myself
and for a hunting rifle you dont need benchrest accuracy.

And if they get bumped/moved will it cause a

miss at 300-400 yards?

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
Yes, the guns with a BOSS will increase noise like a brake. My uncle has a 7mm REM MAG with a BOSS. He started shooting before I was ready and my ears rang for a week.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And if they get bumped/moved will it cause a

miss at 300-400 yards?

The point of impact on my boss equipped gun would change by up to 2" at 100 yards when moved ,so yes it could cause a miss at 300 to 400 yards.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
The point of impact on my boss equipped gun would change by up to 2" at 100 yards when moved ,so yes it could cause a miss at 300 to 400 yards

Eeker

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA DEER HUNTER:
Yes, the guns with a BOSS will increase noise like a brake. My uncle has a 7mm REM MAG with a BOSS. He started shooting before I was ready and my ears rang for a week.

Huh? What was that?

I also have a A-Bolt II in 7mm RM w/BOSS and it will reeeeaaally get your attention if you're beside it when it's touched off. Mine is accurate as hell and it don't recoil much (duh, muzzlebrake). If your willing to spend the time to "tune" the BOSS to your loads, you can get some great groups. Save your ears though and get the non-ported CR version.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
They are terribly loud. I saw some burned spots on a pick up hood after a hunter shot with a 300 Win. from the gas coming from the ports. I like the Browning but I wouldn't own one with the ports.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd avoid the boss if possible. It's terribly loud. A Pachmer Decelerator Pad would help and a Past Recoil Shield would solve the recoil issue. I never found the boss equiped rifles to be any more accurate than the others. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
They are VERY LOUD! I absolutely hate it when a guy is shooting w/ the Boss at the range especially, when he's shooting on the bench next to you.

I've actually heard of guys carrying ear plugs hunting because the Boss hurt their ears so much when they fired.

I've shot a 300 WM w/ the Boss and it definitely helped recoil but, it was miserably loud even w/ ear plugs.

Have a Good One!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote