Notify
Tools

Which Remington Model 700 ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which would you get?

Question:
out of these 2 choices which would you get and why?

Choices:
XCR II
SPS STAINLESS

Posts: 130 | Location: PA | Registered: 23 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only 8 votes and 94 views?? Whats up with that??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
XCR II would be my choice. I called Hill Country Rifles about the quality of this confirguration and this is what they base their semi custom rifles on. They say it is the best that remington offers.

Posts: 10155 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would choose neither of them but go for a cheaper Howa 1500 which I consider an improved REM 700 clone.
Improvements are:
a flat receicer bottom which makes it much less flexible,
an integrated recoil lug,
A one piece bolt instead of a brazed on handle like the REM bolt.

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I special ordered a Remington XCR II in 375 H&H last Monday, it should be in my hands no later than this coming Tuesday. I picked it because of the TriNyte finish (I'm brown bear hunting in Alaska this fall). I paid $719 plus tax for it, which I think is great deal for Rem 700 in stainless/synthetic with a great corrosion resistant finish. I'm a Rem 700 fan pure and simple, owned one as my primary rifle since the late 1960s.

http://www.remington.com/produ...odel-700-xcr-ii.aspx

If Remington's Alaskan Wilderness Rifle was $300 more I might have sprung for it, because compared to the cost of even a reasonably priced brown bear hunt the rifle/scope is less than %10 of the cost. But over two grand, I don't think so.

Anyway looking forward to shooting my XCR II, I'll post a review / report after I have 100 rounds or so through it.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4730 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah I couldnt believe the price of the Alaskan Wilderness

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote for none of the above. I love the Model 700 platform but am not too impressed with the new models. You didn't mention what caliber you're looking for.

If I was looking for another one, I'd keep my eye out for one of the Model 700 Classics in a caliber close to what I want. may not get the exact caliber, but I'd come close. For instance if I wanted a 7mm Mag, I'd try to find a Classic in either 7x57 or 280 or even an 8mm Mag.

The classics were really put together well and I've never seen one that didn't shoot well. I've personally got 3 of them and am always on the lookout for another.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Maybe the reason you had so few replies was the limited number of choices. (I would have voted for "None of the above", but that option was not available.)

Honestly, I would not pay the prices Remington now asks for MOST of their M700s.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only difference between the two rifles is that the XCR has two small patches of rubber on each side of the stock and the coating on the metal.

Production standards other than that will be the same. So it purely boils down to corrosion resistance and aesthetics.

I can tell you that I'm not crazy about the current synthetic stocks big green is using on their production grade rifles. They feel OK, but they flex a lot form what I can tell. I actually have an SPS 270 Win sitting right now tapped up waiting for the marine-tex bedding job to cure and I'm thinking about bedding an SPS Varmint 308 that's leaning in the corner at the moment too. Switching the 308 from the factory stock to a B&C took it from an 1 1/2" @100yrd to an honest .5" rifle with the same loads.

I can't tell you how many 700's I've owned over the years, its been quite a few. In calibers from 22-250 to 375 H&H. I have been very happy with all of them, but I don't think I'd pay what they want for a new one either. the last three I've bought have all been used and less than $250 with light wear. I think I currently have 13 or so of them.

If I were to by a NIB rifle tomorrow I'd look really hard at one of the TC ICONs even though I don't much care for the stocks on them either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reindeer:
I would choose neither of them but go for a cheaper Howa 1500 which I consider an improved REM 700 clone.
Improvements are:
an integrated recoil lug,
A one piece bolt instead of a brazed on handle like the REM bolt.

tu2

Don't forget better machining.

Jarrett said he stopped using Remington actions in the late 80's because of inconsistencies.

Howa/Vanguard actions are far superior to the Remington.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted :
Improvements are:

At this point I would hope we can get some input from an iron ring (mechanical or structural engineer) experienced and currently working in that field....or maybe half a dozen of them.

I have read many times that a round structure has much more inherent resistance to bending along its longitudinal axis than does a flat-sided one. If that is true, the round action is stiffer (less flexible) than a flat sided one.

I have owned some very successful match rifles which are flat-bottomed, but I also own some equally accurate ones which are built on completely round actions.

I do know the round-bottomed ones are easier to bed properly. But, then I've heard flat-bottomed action afficianados claim that the flat-bottomed ones are easier to KEEP bedded properly once they are correctly bedded to start with.

Of course, having no opening for a magazine greatly stiffens them both.

So anyway, you mechanical/structural engineers out there...which is stiffer longitudinally, a flat sided object, or a round one of the same nominal mass, dimensions, and material?

I'd sure like to know, for future reference...

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,
Where did you special order you XCR II in 375 H & H? I have priced a couple for around $850. Thanks!
John

Posts: 154 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 700xcr
posted Hide Post

Posts: 191 | Location: Kennewick,Wa. | Registered: 20 November 2010Reply With Quote