Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber debate (again)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Suffering from a bit of cabin fever.

Has there been any improvement with respect to quality and customer support in the last "2" years? There were a lot of issues in the past, just wondering if they got them settled?

Gun in question would be a 300 WM in the Kimber Montana.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I've had 3 Kimbers and they all shot MOA with handloads - never shot factory ammo through them. Fit and finish was great.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I bought mine about 4 years ago. I got a bad one but I sent it back and they replaced the barrel. I didn't really like the hassle when you pay $1100 on a new rifle and it won't shoot but they did fix it and sent it back in about 2 weeks. Now it shoots great and is one of my favorite rifles. I would buy another Kimber although I would stay away from used Kimbers unless I knew the seller. I think a lot of people just dump them when they don't shoot instead of sending them back. JMO.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have 3 but honestly I have had my old Rem 700 ADL for a long time now and it flat outshoots all three of my Kimbers but the fit and finish is really A+ on my Kimbers and I just recently dove into the Montana game with a 30-06 84L and will be doing some stock work on the grip cap and a green and black web paint job after I shorten the grip cap and re-bed

It being stainless synthetic it will outlast me if its a keeper with 150's

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Kimber 270 WSM, the Montana version. Accuracy was poor. Sent it back to Kimber. They returned it with a 1.25" three shot group at 50 yards and said it was in tolerance. Sold it and won't buy another of their guns.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
I had a Kimber 270 WSM, the Montana version. Accuracy was poor. Sent it back to Kimber. They returned it with a 1.25" three shot group at 50 yards and said it was in tolerance. Sold it and won't buy another of their guns.

How long ago was this?

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Most folks dont know that Kimber does not test fire for accuracy but only fire to check funtion

The 50 yard range they use is the old rimfire test range

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience with the 270 short mag mentioned above was 4-5 years ago.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am very pleased with my recently purchased 84M.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My POS experience was also about 3-4 years ago. I refuse to "honor" the company by naming it. It was a .270 WSM and certasinly was consistant - consistantly inconsistant, that is. Sent it to Hill Country to do the voodoo they do, still in consistant groups. Also sent it to a smith in Montana. The only thing he could think of was the barrel. Replaced it with a Lilja. Same thing again. Didn't matter what loads I tried, inconsistant groups. One time, I shot a 5 shot group with a 150 Sierra and all shots were literally touching. "Ah-ha", says I, "I have now reached nirvana". Went home, loaded up another box of the exact same load - literally weighing each charge and seating each bullet to the ogive. Back to the range I go. The damn groups opened back up again.
Finally, after about 4 years of screwing around with the POS, I s^&t canned it and got an Extreme Weather in the same chambering. I sure feel sorry for the poor slob that bought that rifle but as far as I know, he's not looking for me yet. Guess he's satisfied with inconsistant performance.
Just my experience.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
quote:
I sure feel sorry for the poor slob that bought that rifle but as far as I know, he's not looking for me yet. Bear in Fairbanks

Johnny! Come git yer whoopin'! old hilbily

Glad I haven't bought one yet!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what you guys say it seems if you like Kimber you buy a 45 ACP...

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Kimbers are my favorite new hunting rifle now. I started out in the 1950's with new M70's and have a battery of them kept from long ago.

I have had other brands including Rem., Savage99 etc etc.

I got a new Kimber when the WSM's came out and I wanted to try the new to me SS and Syn. stocks. The 270 WSM was a job as I had to do some bedding work and polish it's crown. It's now very accurate.

I have 5 Kimbers now. The last two have been perfect. The new 7mm WSM Montana is the most accurate hunting rifle I have ever seen.

Here is how my 308 Montana shot at 200 yds. on a last minute check before opening day.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.