THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Alpha Arms Grand Slam in left hand 284Win

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alpha Arms Grand Slam in left hand 284Win
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For about 10 years until the late eighties; a company in Texas manufactured a 3 lug bolt action of their own design in several different models. Each had a Tinmey trigger, a Douglas barrel and a stock of classic design. Later models had a Winchester style trigger. Basically, a semi-custom rifle with lots of options.There were 3 models: the clasic (6-1/4bs) with a AAA Claro stock; the grand slam (6-3/4lbs) with a laminated stock they called Alpha wood and a fluted bolt to reduce weight Finally, the Alaskian had the same stock was nickel plated or something and was in larger calibers. When they started offer left hand models I just had to have one. I ordered the Grand Slam in 284 Win with several options through the Army Rod and Gun club at Fort Riley. It took a long time to get the rifle and the company called me once to ask if I wanted a right hand safety which I said no. I think the company was in trouble at that time as they went out of business a short time later. I think I may have the first and one of only a few left hand models ever manufactured. Has anyone ever seen a left hand model Alpha?

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by army aviator:
For about 10 years until the late eighties; a company in Texas manufactured a 3 lug bolt action of their own design in several different models. Each had a Tinmey trigger, a Douglas barrel and a stock of classic design. Later models had a Winchester style trigger. Basically, a semi-custom rifle with lots of options.There were 3 models: the clasic (6-1/4bs) with a AAA Claro stock; the grand slam (6-3/4lbs) with a laminated stock they called Alpha wood and a fluted bolt to reduce weight Finally, the Alaskian had the same stock was nickel plated or something and was in larger calibers. When they started offer left hand models I just had to have one. I ordered the Grand Slam in 284 Win with several options through the Army Rod and Gun club at Fort Riley. It took a long time to get the rifle and the company called me once to ask if I wanted a right hand safety which I said no. I think the company was in trouble at that time as they went out of business a short time later. I think I may have the first and one of only a few left hand models ever manufactured. Has anyone ever seen a left hand model Alpha?
I did not mean Winchester Trigger; I ment Winchester style safety.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might talk to a fellow named Gary Short out of Mineral Wells, TX who worked for Alpha for quite some time. He is pretty up on them as is Layne Simpson of Simpsonvill SC ( the magazine writer)

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen about a dozen left-hands and believe that availability was one of their selling points. Have 2, a classic that was the only one fitted with open sights and stocked in Circassin, in .284, and a Grand Slam in .25-284. ......Love them both! ~Arctic~

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote