THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    320gr woodleighs and Varget in 9.3X62mm

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

320gr woodleighs and Varget in 9.3X62mm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi anyone have a load for the above combination? or any other powders for the 320gr woodleigh? I have ordered some and will be using them on a feral cattle cull in the near future I have found that with Varget and the 286gr woodleighs I can get 2400-2450fps with excellent accuracy with some 3 shot groups being clover leaves and here in Oz it easily procured (well it is made here Smiler) Reloader 15 is available but expensive

Posts: 249 | Location: Australia | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varget is all I use in my 9.3x62 with 286gr bullets. fwiw, Hodgdon's has data up to the 300gr Swift:

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/93x62.php

I'd be interested in heavier bullet data too...

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
I use H4895 with my Swift 250 gr A-Frame load. It has knocked down everything I hit with this load from impala to Eland (close to 1800 pounds with complete penetration rt front to left rear). I's very happy with the 9.3.

Varget would not group as well in my rifle.

I tried Varget with the 300gr Barnes solids with similar grouping problems.

Think I'll stick with the 250s (Swift) and 286s (Woodleigh) for both my 9.3x62 and 9.3x74R loads.

Check

http://www.rifleshootermag.com

May June 2003, there is a good article on the 9.3x62 there.

Also, search African Hunter mag web site. the archives had an article with good info on 9.3 loadings contained within.

I'm now rying to find loading that regulate in my 9.3x74R double. The search is really part of the fun.

Good luck.

Mike

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried Varget with the 286 Nosler Partitions and the 270 Speers. Wasn't real happy with the vel and the accuracy. I use Ramshot BigGame and 286gr Partitions. Last time out my avg vel was 2474fps and sub MOA. I had great groups with H4895 as well just a bit on the slow side.
Haven't tried anything bigger than 286gr yet.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
286-gr. Partitions and enough H4895 for about 2,350 fps work like a charm on feral cattle.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
fwiw, Load from a Disk says that the 9,3x62 should get around 2,300fps out of a 24" bbl with Varget before going to "high pressure" status. 53.6 gr being safe at 2,200fps/49,750cup while 56.7 gr is 2,344 fps/55,670 cup which earns the program's disapproval...

Remember that's what a computer program says and not something I've found in a real gun. For all I know you'll blow your gun up so bad your relatives will all go "ouch!" if you use this for reloading data. And remember, I only paid about $50.00 for the program Smiler

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paladin I'll start with 52 and work up slowly I think 2200fps should be plenty of speed for such a heavy bullet

Posts: 249 | Location: Australia | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Hi smlekid,
For 'my' 9.3x62 I use the Australian AR2206,using 56.5gr's for 258GR HMANTLE, 55.5grs for286gr Woodleigh RN,PP & SOLID's MV2340FPS,54.5gr's for 300gr SWIFT A FRAMES.
I haven't had the opportunity to try my 320gr projectiles, but probably won't as I couldn't be more happier with what I'm using already.
IMOP if you use Woodleigh's in 9.3x62for scrub bull, use the 286 PP,they shot threw the game i've shot with them with good results.
Cheers Adam.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote