New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Whelen Ackley Imp loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Rem 700 Classic rechambered to the 35 Imp 40. Anyone have some favorite loads with Varget or RL15 or?. I've yet to load up any and am looking for other's experiences. The original chambering loved those powders and I'm not sure if the Improved version will be any different, but I'd like to hear what you've had the best luck with. BTW I tried 335 in it before and had the biggest fireballs of muzzle blast I've seen! Had to be 5ft. long and visible in daylight [Eek!] Thanks, Mark

[ 10-16-2002, 10:54: Message edited by: Mark S9 ]

Posts: 37 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 16 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark
These are the last loads that worked up in my 35 Whelen Imp.
250 gr Speer SP
60 gr Reloader 15
Rem Cases, Win L R Primers
2706 fps

225 gr Sierra BT
61 gr Reloader 15
Rem Cases, Win L R Primers
2794 FPS

Posts: 52 | Location: Harlingen, Tx, USA | Registered: 09 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Dale's loads and will add that Varget is almost the same as for max charges...slightly higher velocities in my rifle with Varget.
Jerry/AK

Posts: 575 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Elliot Viker>
posted
Jerry, long time since I have seen anything poasted from you. Are you still doing the 35 Whelen fan club stuff?? It hase been a long time since an update of people list and loads has gone out. Talk to you latter. Whelen35@yahoo.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Elliot,
You're right, its been too long since I updated the list to everyone (about 70 guys). I wonder how many have changed their email addresses. I'll try to do an update before the end of the month.
Jerry/AK

Posts: 575 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
duplicate post deleted.

[ 10-19-2002, 02:36: Message edited by: Jerry/AK ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
duplicate post deleted.

[ 10-19-2002, 02:37: Message edited by: Jerry/AK ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Jerry, when you make up that list of loads, would you send them to me also? I'd appreciate it much. Ive been asked by my buddies why I'd change a gun that shoots 3/4" groups to something else and possibly have it not shoot as well. My answer is that this is how the cartridge should have been designed in the first place and the theory behind Ackley's designs has proven to be sound. Plus, it's just a sexy looking thing isn't it?
Mark

Posts: 37 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 16 October 2002Reply With Quote