New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Fed for black bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a 338 Fed for black bear. I will also be using the rifle for elk at short-medium range. What bullet would be suitable for these animals? I'm debating on whether to use the 210 grain partition, 200 grain accubond, 210 grain TTSX, or the 185 grain TSX. I imagine which ever one shoots the best should be the one I use, but I'm hoping to buy one and have it shoot accurately. I'd like to try the Barnes bullets first, honestly. Is the 185 grain of the 210 grain Barnes bullets best suited for both black bear and elk?

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I would stick to 200 or 200+ grain bullets for the game you listed. The bullets you listed would all be suitable.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The 210 grain nolser has worked for me in the win mag version.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ckemp,

I have been using the 185 grain TSX factory load for a few years now and have had great performance with it.

The first black bear I got was over 400 pounds. It took one shot at about 40 yards and the bear never took a step.

Headache

Posts: 158 | Location: Danbury, CT 06810 USA | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently read that by using the 185 grain in the 338 defeats the purpose of shooting a 338 caliber bullet because of the lower sectional density of the lighter bullet. I guess that makes sense, but has anyone had problems with 185 grain TSX not penetrating all the way though large game like elk? I'll probably stick with the 210 grain bullets, but I was just curious.

One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:

If I was going to use a bullet that light, I would rather use the higher S/D 30 cal. 180.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used my 300 RUM shooting a 200gr bullet for my black bear. Shot him right threw the heart.
That killed him right on the spot.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would imagine that 185gr bullet would bounce off an elk Eeker seriously any of the bullets listed will do for either animal out to most sane ranges. Most blackies arent that tough to kill, and a 185gr .338" bullet in a TSX configuration will penetrate like a 200gr cup and core bullet. I would start at the 185gr first, because of the limited case capacity of the 338 fed and then work your way up...

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend has been building 338-08 rifles for 15 years. His reamer is identical to the 338 Federal. He recommends 225 gn Sierra GameKings @ 2500fps.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
gary, could he get enough velocity out of a 338-06 to make a 250 grain expand fully? Do not know the reply, just asking?

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a 210 gr. Swift Sorocco II?

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of black bear and elk have been collected with a .30-30 and a conventional cup and core 170 gr bullet. Surely any of those you mention will do as well.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Surko:
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:

If I was going to use a bullet that light, I would rather use the higher S/D 30 cal. 180.

Then you've never killed anything w/ the exc. 210grNP. I have used it for years & many animals in the 338-06 @ 2750fps. You should be able to get 2650fps easily, will do well on anything the 338-06 will do just 50yds shorter.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not think you can ever go wrong with the right calibre and weight of Nosler Partition for the game being hunted.

However if the new Federal Trophy Bonded Tip, is as good as the older Federal Trophy Bonded Bearclaw I would be tempted to give them a try.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
210 gr Nosler PT and don't look back. Even if you hit a lot of bone, it will hold together.

I used the 210 gr PT in my 338 RUM on a black bear, DRT.

JD338

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I built a .338 Federal for a customer's wife for Moose hunting in Alaska. I have found that most .338's like 225 gr. bullets best for accuracy. This one was no different. She shot a 62" Moose at 185 yards, one shot-DRT with 225 gr. Trophy bonded bear claw. I think the .338 Federal will always be under rated because it doesn't look big enough and it doesn't kick much. It sure works well when used properly. Shot placement is key, practice, practice, practice. The .338 Federal allows one to practice without shoulder, retina and wallet damage.....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote