THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    175 gr Partition in 7mm RM...opinions please

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

175 gr Partition in 7mm RM...opinions please
 Login/Join

<FarRight>
posted
Has anyone used this load? I have a Rem M700LH 7mm Rem Mag in the mail and am thinking up some loads. I want to know if you guys have a favorite load for deer and elk for the 7mm RM. What velocity can I expect from a 175 gr Nosler Partition? Also, I noticed this bullet has a high sectional denisty, which is one reason I chose it as an elk bullet, another being it is on the heavy side of the weight spectrum for the 7mm...can I expect it to reliably expand on deer at longer ranges or should I go with the 160 grainers? Thanks for any help.

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I think the 7mm Rem Mag with 175 gr. Partitions is a great choice for deer & elk. You could expect 2900 fps with the 175 gr. The 175 gr. Partition @ 2900 fps, according to Nolser, expands out to 640 yards. It packs 2000 ft-lbs of energy all the way to 380 yards. If you want to stick with one load, the 175 gr. is a great choice, I use 160 gr. for deer, but if the 175 gr. Partitions shoot well in my rifle, I may use them this fall for everything. I loaded up some a week ago, and as soon as I get back testing them at the range, I will post my results. I'm using RL25.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 175 Noz quite a bit both in my Rem Mags and my 7 Mashburn Supers.

Can get 3000 and it is a great bullet!

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

give IMR 7828 a good look as well as R22

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If I were hunting more deer than elk, I would use the 160gr bullets. If elk were the primary game for my 7mag, then I would go 175gr. I use the 160gr Np over RL22 for 3050fps & it will stay under 1". IMR7828 gives a bit more velocity, but I get better accuracy w/ RL22 in my rifle. Good luck w/ your load dev. Some don't like the 7mags but I think they are great carts.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 24in. barreled Rem mag clocks in at 3160fps. with the 160gr partitions/R22 and the cases fall out of the chamber. I have yet to recover a bullet on broad side shots on elk.
That's enough penatration for me. Actually I consider the 160gr partations to stiff for deer and antelope. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
FarRight,

I only managed to shoot one group with the 175 gr. Partitions today. 1.25" @ 100 yards for three shots. This was with 62.0 grs. of RL25. I tested the bullet for expansion/weight retention in pine logs. It penetrated 12", retained 75% of it's original weight, and expanded to 1.6X it's original diameter. In comparison, my 416 Rem Mag with 350 gr. Speer's penetrated 13.5".

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
<MFH>
posted
I have been a little disappointed in the 175 partition for elk. Damage was not extensive and after shedding the front core, failure to exit. This on a large cow broadside @ 50yds. I think that at longer range with more modest impact velocity it would do better. Otherwise, good velocity and accuracy.

MFH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weird things can happen for sure but I would take a 175 Nozler every day and never worry a bit. I've never been the least bit disappointed. I'd say shoot a bunch of elk and then make up your mind how it'll work. Believe me it will not disapoint you.

Just my thoughts.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I have used the 175 gr. Partition in my 7 Mag on everything from blacktails to a couple of eland. It has worked great every time. I load mine with IMR 7828, and have no problem achieving 3000 fps.

As for it being too tough to expand on small game, it has performed like dynamite on springbok and mule deer.

Check out our 7 Mag website
www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That would definitely be my bullet of choice with the SD and BC it has.

Mike

------------------
Victory Through Superior Firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
Stay with the 175 grains, heavy for caliber is most of the time best

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The load I have used was 65 G IMR 4831 in Partitions. I disagree with T Bartel in that I would only expect 2800 from most rifles, but the game will never notice, thgis is an excellent dual purpose lod in the forested areas of Alberta.

BR

Posts: 174 | Location: ,Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I also like the 175 Nosler. I have used H4831, N205, and Norma MRP with mine, and have been able to achieve 3050 FPS with a load which groups 1" @ 200 yards (from a Ruger No. 1 with 26" barrel). I can relkoad these cases 10 times, so pressures must be OK.

<Dale>
posted
I have used the 175 gr. Nosler on several mule deer, antelope, and elk, and one moose, and was totally satisfied. I have also used the 160 gr. Nosler on several more deer, antelope, and elk, and can tell no difference between the two. I seldom am amble to recover a bullet because either generally penetrates fully, but the few I have recovered of either weight went 101 to 104 grs., because the partition is the same distance from the base for either. The 175 gr. has a larger front core that it looses. I seem to get better penetration from the 160 gr. on elk, probably because it is a little faster and the retained weight is the same. I am planning to try some of the combined technology partitions, as they are supposed to maintain more weight. To sum my comments, I would recommend you use which ever shoots best in your rifle and not worry about the difference in bullet weight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted with the Speer Hot Core 160 gr. bullets loaded at 2900 fps for years. Between my brother and myself we've killed numerous deer and hogs at various ranges. I killed one bull elk at 300 yrds. using this load. Only two bullet have been recovered one from the elk and one from a 300 pound boar shot at 20 feet. Both were expanded perfectly.

Posts: 125 | Location: Coalgate, Oklahoma | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote