New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 WSM, I'm In Love!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After getting off to a rocky start with my new Model 70, (Feeding problem fixed by bending the extractor to give it more room) I finally got some rounds loaded and punched some paper. I used a 4' X 4' piece of cardboard to get the scope in a semblence of adjustment. I started 2.5' low and a foot right. I picked 65 grains of RL 22 pushing a Barnes X 180 BT ignited by a WLRM primer for the breaking, mostly because that's what I had on hand. I did the shoot-a-round then clean for 10 rounds then stepped up to 3 round strings with a complete cleaning. That took a whole afternoon. On the 3 round strings, I switched to Combined Technologies 180 BS followed by a cleaning. Got very little fouling on the three shot strings after the 10 shots then clean routine. I started with 3 rounds with 65 grains of RL 22, then 3 of 66, then 3 of 67. This puppy likes 67 grains of RL 67 and CT 180 Balistic Silvertips. None of groups were over 3/4 of an inch, with one exception. That round I moved as I fired. I moved because a pheaseant ran across my view in the scope and my eyes followed it and hence the movement. I'm getting two shots touching and the third opening the group to less than 1/2 inch. This out a spanking clean barrel. The rifle does not seem to require fouling shots. So, I'm going to keep shooting and cleaning after every three rounds. I'm getting very little fouling when I clean. The factory barrel is actually out shooting the new custom barrel I had put on a 270. But then, I haven't tried too many combinations in the 270. I was trying to figure out how to get a 4' X 4' piece of cardboard into my scanner so I can post the groups here and send them to my hunting buddies in Colorado. If the weather cooperates tomorrow, I'm going to shoot some smaller targets, targets that will fit into the scanner. Bad Winchester has turned into Excellent Winchester.

Haven't run it across my speed trap yet. Will do that tomorrow.

Recoil? It's not a 270 or a 30 06, but it isn't a 300 Win Mag either. It's right in between; quite managable.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Mr MD>
posted
Glad to hear your WSM is working out for you. Maybe one of these days I will try another one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My god you're fickle. [Big Grin]

Congratulations, sounds like a keeper.

I recently came across a 270 WSM (blue/walnut) that keeps intruding into my dreams at night.

I dodn't need another rifle yet. I don't need another rifle yet. I don't need another rifle ...

Good luck, Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I hadn't bought the 300 WSM I would have had to buy the 270 WSM. There is no way I could have resisted.

I don't see much step-up from a 300 Win Mag (to a 300 WSM), but I saw some data said the 270 WSM gave added punch versus the .270

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote