THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Sako Finnlight owners......chime in

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Finnlight owners......chime in
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
How does it shoot? Model 75 or 85? What caliber, etc? Thanks for any feedback on accuracy etc.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5, I have several in both the 85 and 75. I have found them to all shoot extremely well. Out of the ones that I own, I will say that the 85's shot superbly with less (little to no) load development than my 75's. I think this is probably just luck, but maybe not, all of my 75's shoot great, just took a little load development for some of them to get as good as I wanted.
I have two custom 6.5x284's built on the 85 and they are SCARY accurate. These rifles have been pillar and glass bedded, and have custom Lothar Walther barrels. Feed like butter, and are just uncanny accurate.

I like the Finnlite platform a lot, and in the bone stock ones I have they shoot great too! I don't care for the synthetic stocks from Sako too much, so I have restocked to McMillans on them, which makes a really sweet rig.

I just got a 6.5x55 up and running in a new Edge Technology McMillan, and it is sweet. It is a 75, and the first load I built, 44 grains of RE 22, Lapua brass, CCI LR primers, and 140 gr SGK's and 130 gr. Scirroco II's-- I think you recommended it, and it shot sub 1/2 minute with both bullets!

In a nutshell I really like the Finnlite, I do like putting them into an aftermarket stock, although they shoot fine in the factory plastic!
I took one on an antelope chase in Montana, and it sure was good to be toting such a lite, accurate rig.

Happy New Year--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Finnlight 75s in both 270 WSM and 300 WSM that shoot 1/2 inch with Federal factory ammo. I just bought an 85 Finnlight in 6.5x55 and as soon as I recover from knee surgery I'll put it through its paces. I also have a 75 Finnlight I had re-barreled to 7x57 that is a one holer. The 85 has some improvements over the 75 IMHO. If you are tall, be aware the LOP of the 75 is about 3/4 of an inch more than the new 85.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Fish, glad to hear my recommended load worked, give that credit to Bobby Tomek here on AR, had known it worked well for his TC Encore.

Playing with a 75 Grey Wolf in 260 now, like it overall....on the LOP will note that, thanks. Funny thing is the 75 spec shows 9 twist, as does Beretta's site for the 85 in 260.....yet when I look at Sako Fi site, it says 8 twist for the 85 in 260........wonder if there are typos.....seen them before when comparing specs for mfg. rifles in various calibers.....none the less I think for the weight bullets I will be using for hunting it will do fine. For my own knowledge, I have submitted a question to Beretta on the twist rate. Do recall my 6.5/308 (9" twist) shot 100 ballistic tips very well, and also the 129 hornady which was what I shot the most, and liked that bullet very much.

Past experience showed very poor grouping in a custom 6.5/308 with 140 partition handloads and corelokt factory ammo......this Sako ironically is showing some decent results in a few intitial results with 140 SMK and Amax. Also had a nice tight, very tight actually 3 shot group, within my one 5 shot group I shot recently.

So far, using new RP brass, no prep at all, now I have 50 formed, reamed primer pockets, in/out and being partial sized, hope for even better more consistent results. Never hurts getting a bbl broken in either though bore seems very slick and consistent pushing patches through-what I'd expect. Trigger breaks at 40 ounces! Right from the box.....not bad. Liking it more and more, overall seemingly high quality for money, time will tell but I have no complaints at this juncture.

Glad you both have had success thus far, Happy New Year.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my 75 300WSM. It fits me like a glove, and while shooting it the felt recoil is not an issue (I am a bit on the small side, and worried about this until I shot the gun). It is very accurate with factory ammo. I have shot the cheap winny stuff in the gray box up to the federal premium TSX.

I have yet to hear anyone say any negative about it.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
75 finnlight. 6.5 x 55. awesomely accurate with everything.