THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    123 or 139 Lapua in .260 for 1000yds

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

123 or 139 Lapua in .260 for 1000yds
 Login/Join

<Wildcat>
posted
Would i be able to better the heavier bullet with the lighter one due to more speed?

Main thing is bucking the wind.

I'm also leaning a bit toward the Vihtavuori powders.

Thanks guys, and yes these are the bullets i'm choosing from. The only thing i find better are Berger and their price outreaches me a bit.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Wildcat, what about the 120gr Sierra MK? I would think the 139-140gr bullets would buck the wind a bit better. I am thinking about rebarreling a M700SA to 6.5x.284 & using 120gr SMK for targets out to 600-800yds.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the 1000 yard stuff you may want to consider the Sierra 155 HPBT MK although I believe it is only available in quantities of 500.

I recently had the opportunity to try a friend's 6.5/284 with the Sierra 120 & 140 grain MK bullets. Most impressive. My 25/06 is getting ready for a new barrel and it may just be re-born as a 6.5/06 due to the great selection of bullets in that calibre suitable for long range shooting.

If you are definitely stuck on the Lapua bullets, I would use the 139 grain pills.

You should also take a look at the offerings from Lost River Ballistic Technologies, they are quite popular with the long distance crowd.

www.lostriverballistic.com/LRB_Start.htm

Regards,

~Holmes

[ 07-18-2002, 09:52: Message edited by: Holmes ]

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Wildcat>
posted
Nothing against sierra but I doubt they could beat the .615 BC of the 139 Lapua in any offering under 160 in the 6.5

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, they cannot. The Lapua is a much more expensive premium projectile.

The Sierras are very cost effective for their level of performance which is important to high volume shooters.

Additionally, the 155 grain MK I mentioned requires a 1-in-8 twist whereas the the other 6.5 Sierra MKs work fine with factory rates.

Good luck. I hope your shooting goes well for you.

Regards,

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
go for which ever projectile has the higher BC

Posts: 28 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote