Find
Notify
Tools

My new 7x57
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted
Thanks god, I finished my M98 in 7x57. I began it in fall 2002 and after many breaks, now it´s finished. Here same pic´s.

Action is a Mauser-made from 1937, barrel is a hammer forged Heym with 24". The stock is the Hogue. The next I will do, is to mount my scope, a used S+B 3-12x48.

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
thumbGood choices and nice taste! beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good looking rifle!!
Kudos on doing the work yourself.

Don

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Thaaaaats Puuuurdy!!!

Very Nice - is that a Sythetic stock?, What model of stock?, what brand of sights, barrel band?, etc.

Please give us the run down.

I am in the middle of the same project(7x57 on a M98 action) so inquiring minds want to know.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice one, it's good to see that the m98's are used.
i'm on the lookout for a G33/40 myself.

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Looks like the deer and boar in your area have something to fear Big Grin
Very nice rifle.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
@Riodot,
the stock is the Hogue obermolded rubber, full bed block stock.
hogue
The barrel I used , is a hammer forged Heym semi weight barrel with 24"
Heym
The open sight I installed, is from a german gun parts maker. I´s a red dot round ball front sight. The rear sight is a open-work sight with red dot. sight

The trigger is a single set trigger made bei MAK.
trigger
The scope mount is from EAW (Ernst Appel mounts).
mounts

First, I want to have a custom stock, but my budget is at end for this projekt, and so I bought this stock. (Hogue:~320.-€, Custom:~1500.-€) But I must say, I´m very satisfeed with it. It was a good choise.

I wish you luck, for your rifle projekt.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, great cartridge.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job! I would like to do a similar project for one of my favorite cartridges as my Savage 111 in 7x57 is about worn out.

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Here´s a 4-shoot group @100m with an old RWS 11,5g TIG. I shoot it at last saturday.

The only problem I have, I haven´t find a handloaded ammo, with the same accuracy. I reloaded 150grs BTHP and 160grs Speer SP with different propelants, with not really good results, but I don´t know, shall I test a heavier or lighter bullet? With old RWS 139grs soft point round nose, the rifle shoots hole in hole. Shall I buy same 139grs Hornady BTSP or lighter, like 120grs Balistic Tip. Or 154grs Sp and heavier? There are so many differnt 7mm bullets to buy. I want one for practice and also for roe deer. Roll Eyes
With my .45-70 it´s easier. All my rifles for this round, the bullet weight isn´t really important. 300grs or 535grs, all nearly excellent. Big Grin

Thank you, Martin

posted Hide Post
Try a Sierra 140 BTSP,or flatbase,and H-414.
I'll bet you find a good load.
Mike

Posts: 8 | Location: Breckenridge,Texas | Registered: 13 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 7x57 was real picky as to seating depth. But once I shortened and recrowned the barrel it began to shoot everything well. AA4350 and H414 seem to be the best powders. I wore out 100 pieces of S&B brass but didn't like the way it fit my shellholder. Winchester brass is best in my rifle.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
clapIf I'm reading the 11.5 correct that's about 177 grains. So go with a 175 gr. bullet , perhaps round nose as it seems from your target that there was a little wobble as the bullets went through. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote