Find
Notify
Tools

Obendorf 8x60s
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted
There is a nice looking Obendorf Mauser 8x60s coming up at auction at Christies, London on 17 July. Guide price is �300-600.

They take phone bids and export. At the last sale a v.g. Obendorf 9.3x62 sold for �600.

If anyone wants a photo I will attend the viewing a day or two before and will post up or email some digital pics.

Thought this looked like a nice rifle.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Deerdogs,

I'd be happy to see a picture af this rifle.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The 8X60S is also a great round, particularly in the "Magnum Bombe" loading!! Certainly the equal of the .300 H&H!!

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eldeguello:
The 8X60S is also a great round, particularly in the "Magnum Bombe" loading!! Certainly the equal of the .300 H&H!!

Hmm,

I�ve got a 8x60 myself. I would mean that the .300H&H is a fairly stronger cartridge, especially for the handloader.

There were some discussions here about the 8x60 a year or so ago, and the common opinion was that the prestanda of the "Magnum-Bombe" were a bit over-estimated.

However, I load mine with the Barnes X 180 grs to 830 m/s, and without doubt it would be possible to gain 850 m/s - but why? The factory load from RWS has about 810 m/s for a 200 grs bullet. In my opinion the cartridge is equal to the .30-06, which indeed is good enough. I also think that there are some data for the caliber here at Accurate.

That Oberndorf could be a good bargain, if it doesn�t get too expensive. It would be a perfect rifle for stag and moose, a fine classic one.

Best regards,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote