Tools

-ONE rifle for EVERYTHING ?!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
You can hunt all of North America with a .270 Winchester.

I don't think I would say all of North America with a .270 Winchester. Are you saying you would use a .270 on a Brown bear ? Now for all of North America ... I'd take my 35 Whelen!

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
I would have to go with the 17 HMR or 16 HMS.

The HMR is perfect for the smallest of varmints and/or the HMS rocks for man-sized varmints.

As I have demonstrated by taking an American Bison at 300 yards with the HMR and Robert Wilde by killing a running moose at over 500 with his HMR, it's plenty for the biggest game!
animal

Actually the moose was not running at all. It was just moseying along! Oh by the way, I took a second insurance shot to make sure of the whole thing!

Posts: 179 | Location: Andromeda Galaxy | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think I would say all of North America with a .270 Winchester.

I don't like the 270/30-06 or 308, but in all seriousness, I think any of the 3 will kill anything that walks on the North American continent, and probably has on many occasions.

All it takes is a hunter confident in their skill to accurately place a bullet with any of the three.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I own a 7 Mag an if all I could have was one cartridge, that would be it.

The above borrowed from Tiggertate and modified . 100-180 gr. min-max reloading with accuracy to spare . Varmint too Elk I rest my case .

Seems to my way of thinking many people on this forum don't like 7 mm much of anything . Yet they're sure spending a lot of typing time on trying to convince others of why it's not a appropriate choice . Have I missed something from before I joined ?.

salute

Posts: 46 | Location: Between here and there  | Registered: 18 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 7x57 would cover everything for me.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/C Nut:
quote:

I don't think I would say all of North America with a .270 Winchester. Are you saying you would use a .270 on a Brown bear ? Now for all of North America ... I'd take my 35 Whelen!

I would hunt all of NA with a 270 in a heartbeat. Would I prefer my 338 WM for Big bears, yes but a 270 would do the job.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
If restricted to medium caliber, for N.American game I'd use my 375 Whelen loaded with 270 grain cast bullets a head of a case full of IMR 3031.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30/06 or 300 H&H. I'm getting almost 3000 fps out of my 30/06 with a 165 gr.bullet. It's boring but it works.

Posts: 74 | Location: out west | Registered: 20 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One rifle one caiber just too boring for me thats why I own them from 17 to over 40 cal.

When I didn't have the money for more the one I owned a 06. But that period didn't last long.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
quote:
Originally posted by T/C Nut:
quote:

I would hunt all of NA with a 270 in a heartbeat. Would I prefer my 338 WM for Big bears, yes but a 270 would do the job.

SSR

If, you lived in an area, where Grizzly encounters were a regular feature of daily life as I have for much fo my 65 years, you might not be quite so sanguine concerning these bears and the superb .270Win., one of my all-time favourite cartridges. It is NOT really quite enough for defence against an angry Grizzly and is pretty "borderline" for killing large bull Elk in the rutting season in steep country that is densely forested.

I will carry a .270, have three and a .280, another favourite, have three and often do, but, when I am hunting in Grizzly country and expect to backpack meat, I carry a .338WM minimum and even a .375H&H, sometimes. No point in taking risks one does not have to, IMHO.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Last year, I would have said without question my Blaser R-93 Tracker in 9.3x62 topped with a rail mount Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10, but I now have a custom Encore in 9.3x74R topped with an illuminated Leupold VX-III 1.5-5 that I believe is equal or better for the job.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Average the ballistics of all of the medium bores an you get a 280 AI.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No question for me... the 7mm Remington Mag. I have used them for everything from prairie dogs to elk. Recoil is reasonable, very high BC bullets are available for long range shooting, very tough bullets for big stuff. That said I am now using a .270 for all the same stuff, marmots to elk. If Cooper had been offering the 7 mag. last year I would have bought one, but the .270 is working fine. If I thought I might go north and hunt big coastal grizzly, then a .300 mag. of some sort would work. I used to shoot a .300 Jarrett and used it to shoot everything. That particular rifle pushed 200 grain accubonds and matchkings to 3028 fps. It was hell on marmots and elk alike, and I wouldn't have hesitated to shoot anything short of the largest african gam with it.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Wilde:
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
I would have to go with the 17 HMR or 16 HMS.

The HMR is perfect for the smallest of varmints and/or the HMS rocks for man-sized varmints.

As I have demonstrated by taking an American Bison at 300 yards with the HMR and Robert Wilde by killing a running moose at over 500 with his HMR, it's plenty for the biggest game!
animal

Actually the moose was not running at all. It was just moseying along! Oh by the way, I took a second insurance shot to make sure of the whole thing!

I'm sure you didn't really need that "insurance" shot. I remember the picture. That bull was piled up from the first 17 grainer you put behind his shoulder.

That's why the HMR hasn't been mentioned yet except by us.

It's a "sleeper". The exit hole as I remember could easily have been mistaken for one the HMS is known for. Although you did "hot load" that sucker, it probably didn't help.

As most varmint bullet deer hunters know, the placement was the key. The caliber didn't matter; that bull was toast as soon as the 5.4 grains of powder was lit!

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
If I had to use only 1 rifle for everything, I guess it'd be a .338 winchester. I absolutely love the one I own. that is one of the all-time great calibers. But, the problem is that it'd be awful light, even if legal, for elephants and perhaps buffalo. But I'd have no hesitation to shoot varmints with it, as I've shot a few coyotes with mine and it didn't seem like overkill at the time.

HOWEVER, having only 1 gun to hunt with would be like enjoying the comforts of only one woman during your lifetime.... WHY?

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
I don't think I would say all of North America with a .270 Winchester.

I don't like the 270/30-06 or 308, but in all seriousness, I think any of the 3 will kill anything that walks on the North American continent, and probably has on many occasions.

All it takes is a hunter confident in their skill to accurately place a bullet with any of the three.

What exactly don't you like about them? I hear it all the time. 270's don't shoot, 30-06 is boring WTF? 308 is a "brush gun". Too much google-fo in my opinion.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]What exactly don't you like about them?[/QUOTE]

With me it is simply a case of prefernce, nothing more, nothing less.

I have hunted around several folks that were using 270's-308's and 30-06's and never witnessed a case of any of them having a problem killing game or the functionality of their rifles.

As I have stated on here before, as a kid growing up in the late 50's early 60's, there were two main gun writers I read, Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith.

While both were good in their own right, Elmer's stuff bit me in the ass a little harder than O'Connors did and I am still that way after 40 years of hunting and gun ownership. I like the larger calibers, that simple.

To further confuse you, when asked by pother hunters or potential hunters, I readily recommend the 270/308/30-06, especially if I am talking to a beginning hunter/inexperienced hunter. As for my own Personal useage, I would not have all of any one of the 3 listed calibers that could be stacked in the back of my pick up.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I'm a two-rifle guy personally. I think it's important to have a backup of some sort. I also have found myself less and less interested in owning more than a couple of rifles.

My one-rifle-for-everything-rifle is a 30-06 stoked with 180 Partitions at 2,800 fps.

Dat's a combo that is hard to beat and will do everything I'll ever need to do...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a progressive, pernicious and essentially self-limiting philosophy that should never be embraced by any true American....or, any other sane person!!!!

I can only surmise, that it is a direct result of excessive comsumption of a libation known as "Moose Drool" and recommend a long hunting trip sans "MD" in some remote part of BC, the Yukon or Canada's MacKenzie Mountains as an antidote to such creeping derangement!

ONE or TWO rifles??????? A gentleman NEEDS at least 10 hunting rifles and more is much, much better....just ask my banker! Wink

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm very fond of the .338WM and the 7x57, but one rifle would have to be a 30/06, mauser action, leupold scope.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
mauser action, leupold scope.

Hmmmm, Can't argue with that.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
mauser action, leupold scope.

Hmmmm, Can't argue with that.

So long as there were two of them and they were chambered in 7x57 and 404 jeffery, although the Leuopold scope would still be QD back-up to aperture sights on the 7x57 and just apertures on the 404. Would it be any surprise to say that is what I have done?

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck-375, glad it worked out for you, it is an awesome combination let me tell you for a fact with 300 grn. bullets. Color me gone!

Posts: 334 | Location: America | Registered: 23 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-06 Spfd. Everything in No. America

One of Us
posted Hide Post
338 Win Mag. I shoots from 160gn @ 3390fps to 300gn @ 2500fps, and has many weights available 180,185,200,210,225,230,250,275,300. FMJs are available in 300gn and 250gn, bonded core bullets from Woodleigh, Swift, Nosler Hornady @ Speer, Plus plenty of conventional bullets, and a wide selection of weights from Barnes. It would have to be the most flexible choice there is.

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 11 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
338 laupa--- That would be my choice.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Anything big and fast Smiler

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me it would be a long throated 300 win mag, pre 64 or Dakota 76 or 97. if I lived anywhere but Africa. Buy ammo anywhere if need be and do anything with a good boolit.
If Africa was my home, I would up that to a 338 win or 340 weatherby.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dewey:
This is a progressive, pernicious and essentially self-limiting philosophy that should never be embraced by any true American....or, any other sane person!!!!

I can only surmise, that it is a direct result of excessive comsumption of a libation known as "Moose Drool" and recommend a long hunting trip sans "MD" in some remote part of BC, the Yukon or Canada's MacKenzie Mountains as an antidote to such creeping derangement!

ONE or TWO rifles??????? A gentleman NEEDS at least 10 hunting rifles and more is much, much better....just ask my banker! Wink

OK, I give... all true Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It all depence on where you are in the world but for Scandinavia it will be anything from a fox to a Scandinavian moose, the most popular are 6,5x55 – 308 and 30.06 and I’m going for 30.06

Thanks Bjarne

Posts: 185 | Location: Randers - Denmark | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those scandinavian moose must be much smaller than anything over here in North American... everyone here knows that our moose and elk are so big and so tough that something like the lowly 6.5x55 is laughably underpowered... why from what I read on the net, they must have titanium hide and those puny bullets just bounce off. Big Grin I grew up and still live in the same little hick town where we didn't know any better than to shoot elk with things like the .270 , surplus 30-40 Krags, and beat up old 30-30 and .300 Savage lever guns. We just killed elk every year and didn't know any better. When someone showed up with a magnum we kids said "cool", but usually declined shooting it because they kicked so damn hard and ruined too much meat. I guess we are just simple, but so are our elk; we keep shooting them with plain ole' ordinary calibers and they keep falling over dead. Hey... have you ever heard this statistic? In Colorado somewhere around 20-25% of rifle elk hunters get their elk on an average year. Now here's the tricky part that mostly only locals know; 10% of the hunters get 90% of the elk. The same ole' guys are shooting an elk every year, and most I know are doing it with average rifles and plain calibers. Most of these guys that I grew up with are not even that good a shot, on paper, but they are HUNTERS, and know where to put a bullet and when to refrain from shooting. For these guys a shot up the kazoo is not something to say "my super magnum shot him end to end" it is a shot we really would rather not admit to.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite of ALL time, so far.
9.3x62
No heavy recoil, no heavy blast
Flat shooting out to 250, that's all I need.
Best of all, everything I have shot with it has gone down righ away. No tracking, so far.
Down side:
I cant hit a Coyote at 450 yards to save my butt. I keep trying though...LOL

Cheers John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote