THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Anyone still using their Short Magnums
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone still using their Short Magnums
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I have used one - a .300WSM. Shot well, felt awkward but worked fine. I prefer the longer cartridges for feeding reasons. If your gun handles the WSM shape, by all means shoot it!

Bit of a shame some of the rifle manufacturers didn't get the feeding right for the short magnums, no excuse today with all the knowledge and capability of modern design and machinery.

Browning certainly got it right with the X-Bolt using a flush fitting rotary magazine very similar to the successful Ruger 10/22 magazine. The X-Bolt 3 round short magnum action mag is common to all the WSM cartridges presenting rounds inline to the chamber for a very slick feed. Obviously the mags would also work in an X-Bolt for the 358/300 WSM and 35 Sambar wildcats which are both just the 300 WSM necked up to 358. The mags are available in our gun shops, I really should get a spare one day.

There you are sambarman338, re-barrel your 270 WSM to 35 Sambar for your sambar deer hunting that you have had success with lately Smiler

Posts: 3859 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Eagle,
Having gone into time-on, I probably won't bother, though I like the sound of that cartridge and the Browning magazine. If there's one thing I dislike about my Tikka, its that ugly magazine sticking out. Until now I had avoided modern Browning (and Carl Gustav) bolt rifles, in mourning for the M98 versions they replaced.

Posts: 4969 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Thanks Eagle,
Having gone into time-on, I probably won't bother, though I like the sound of that cartridge and the Browning magazine. If there's one thing I dislike about my Tikka, its that ugly magazine sticking out. Until now I had avoided modern Browning (and Carl Gustav) bolt rifles, in mourning for the M98 versions they replaced.

Yes and it is not hard for those Tikka magazines to accidentally fall out either. My nephew was extremely lucky on one of our tahr trips when he heard a slight plop noise and looked down to discover his magazine had dropped out from his Tikka rifle and disappeared down into the snow. He groped around and found it but had he taken a few more steps he would have been sans a magazine for the rest of the trip.

Posts: 3859 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Dropping things when tahr hunting, Eagle? I put my day pack up on a ledge I intended sitting on but found it wasn't flat as I'd thought. Almost comically, the pack turned over but then rolled off the ledge and down the hill, into a shingle slide. It was never seen again, by me at least, though it contained $1500 worth of stuff.

Posts: 4969 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ambarman338
posted 30 January 2023 15:02
Dropping things when tahr hunting, Eagle? I put my day pack up on a ledge I intended sitting on but found it wasn't flat as I'd thought. Almost comically, the pack turned over but then rolled off the ledge and down the hill, into a shingle slide. It was never seen again, by me at least, though it contained $1500 worth of stuff.

Sounds like the West Coast. I shot a young Chamois nanny, intending to take meat. Where she lay was steep, actually very steep but I thought I had positioned her securely. I knifed off a back leg and after putting it down behind me turned around to do the next back leg. Nanny had disappeared ! I couldn't believe it until scanning way downhill I saw the body tumbling end over end going like the clappers. Obviously just a naive jafa thinking he was cutting it as a West Coast hunter !

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2021 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your loss, too.

I think they call the part we were hunting west of Lake Tekapo 'east coast', though it seemed pretty central to me. It seemed drier there than where I'd hunted out from Fox Glacier.

One of Us
Picture of 7mmMagnum
posted Hide Post
.270WSM in Sako 85 Finnlight here, 150gn Nosler LRAB's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still shooting a 7mm WSM...increased freebore to allow COAL of 3.2 with 180 gr Berger. 3000fps with RL 26. Lot of fun at the range.

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Always liked the WSM's. Still own a Sako a7 Tecomate in 270WSM and a Remington model seven in 300 SAUM

So many rifles, so little time

In January I picked up a Browning A-Bolt Mountain TI in 300 WSM. Guess I am going to end up having a pile of short mags Big Grin dancing

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
In January I picked up a Browning A-Bolt Mountain TI in 300 WSM. Guess I am going to end up having a pile of short mags

Not a bad problem to have. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A rather plain Savage in the 7 wsm. Wicked accurate with the 140 and 160 gr bullet. Some day this ammo scarcity will relax, then start watching auction sites. The last purchase of factory rounds were 150 gr Winchester. At the time once fired brass was going for a buck a case. I think I bought 10 boxes for $150. I figured I could shoot them at the range and sell the brass at a profit. I figured wrong, again. I still own the rounds and the once fired brass.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nick Adams
posted Hide Post
Love my original short magnum, a .350 Rem. Mag. in my semi-custom Rem. Model 600.

Posts: 376 | Location: Midwest, USA | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Adams:
Love my original short magnum, a .350 Rem. Mag. in my semi-custom Rem. Model 600.

+1. tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote