THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Anyone still using their Short Magnums
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone still using their Short Magnums
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Wondering if anyone is still hunting with their WSM's / SAUM's on a regular basis. Held a Tikka T3x Laminate Stainless over the weekend in 300 WSM and really liked it, even though they aren't a true short action rifle.

A few years back, I took a blackbuck doe with a Winchester Model 70 in 270WSM. It was honestly too much gun for the small antelope. But the performance was impressive.

Always liked the WSM's. Still own a Sako a7 Tecomate in 270WSM and a Remington model seven in 300 SAUM

So many rifles, so little time

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Win 70's in the WSM calibers. I have hunted with the 7mm WSM and it shoots great. I plan to try out a load with 100gr Cutting Edge Raptors this season with one of the 300 WSM's that I have.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah! I've been using a Kimber 8400 in .300 WSM as my main hunting rifle since about 2008. I have a Sako 6.5x55 that sometimes gives it competition, but more often than not I reach for the WSM and go shoot something.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 270WSM, a great cartridge. Sold it only cause I now mostly bowhunt and have other similar big game rifles. I did shoot a dall sheep and a mountain caribou with it.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have literally killed scores of game in Africa, Mexico, the U.S. and Alaska with my 300 WSM and 325 WSM. Have numerous rifles in each caliber. Other than my 375 H&H in Africa, they are my go-to calibers for hunting almost everything from giraffe down to the smallest of the duikers. They are also death on coues deer, mule deer, whitetail, interior grizzly, antelope, etc. etc. etc. My 375 Flanged double, 450-400 double and 470 Nitro double are my own personal choices for cape buffalo, although I have killed cape buffalo with the 375 H&H. Sorry, I digress. . . . . . .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 300 RCM. which in my mind is really just a short action 30-06. Nice to carry, accurate and I made a stock that fits me for it . found plenty brass so I'm good for life with that one Smiler

Posts: 1073 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Me and my pastle of grandsons and greats shoot four .270 WSM"s, a 25 WSSM and a .243 WSSM and treasure all of them. In my opinion the .270"s are perfect Deer sized game chamberings with the other two very close. All Model 70"s except the WSSM's and they are Browning X Bolts. I have enough brass and bullets to last their lifetimes and more. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I have only acquired my 7mm WSM late last year ready for our (myself and three sons) 7 day Tahr hunt planned for July this year. Unfortunately bad weather saw our trip cancelled.
My youngest son has shot two large red deer with the WSM and was impressed with the DRT performance on the reds.

The rifle is a Browning X-Bolt with a magnum suppressor on the original 22" barrel (sits 8" back over barrel and 5" forward of muzzle). The suppressor has an internal stainless steel muzzle brake reducing recoil to 7mm-08 level and noise to a crack like a 22 Magnum Rimfire.
The X-Bolts are very nice light rifles with a tang safety and excellent half-open bolt position i.e. bolt handle up, making them very safe to carry with a round in the chamber.

About 60 or so rounds of factory ammunition, over a hundred once fired cases, a full can of powder, Fed 215 primers, and reloading dies came with the rifle and my local hunting and fishing shop has another 60 rounds of the same Federal factory ammo on the shelf which I'll get round to purchasing soon. All in all enough ammo and reloading stuff to outlast me.

I used a 7mm Magnum (7x61 S&H) for several decades of hunting so am very familiar with the performance of the magnums but the short action Browning and performance to date of the WSM cartridge really impresses me.

Chronographed factory ammo from the 22" barrel shows slightly better than factory MV for the Federal 140gr (average of 3230fps) and just over 3000fps MV for 160gr Winchester and 162gr Hornady. Can't ask for better than that.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have a 27 Winchester Short Mag that I really like

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use my WSM's and WSSM's all the time. The only "long" round I load is the 338-300RUM.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have and regularly hunt with a Winchester m70 in .243 WSSM and a Kimber in .325 WSM. Love them both. I bought plenty of cases early on and have a lifetime supply of components and powder for them, no good reason not to use them.

Grumpy old man with a gun,,,,Do not touch.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
My Winchester Model 70 in .270 WSM caliber is my go-to rifle when I need a flat shooting, medium game rifle. Great caliber.

And despite the nonsense one sometimes reads about it, the rifle feeds rounds from the magazine into the chamber without fail.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Although I have built them for guys, I consider all the short mags a complete waste of effort, invented simply to sell more rifles.
Short actions? If I can't operate a bolt that extra half inch, I need to quit hunting.
None for me. But I do have the reamers.

Posts: 17124 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Although I have built them for guys, I consider all the short mags a complete waste of effort, invented simply to sell more rifles.
Short actions? If I can't operate a bolt that extra half inch, I need to quit hunting.
None for me. But I do have the reamers.

To be honest I was skeptical of the need for any of the short magnums too, thinking they would do no more than the standard belted magnums we have in existence today.

As I mentioned in my post above I used a 7x61 (belted 7mm Magnum) for decades of hunting, during that time taking many deer of several varieties but mainly the larger red deer, chamois and tahr. I shot a lot of animals for money over those years so shot everything that walked in front of my barrel.
My Schultz and Larsen rifle with a 6x steel Kahles scope and 4 cartridges on board weighed in at 10lbs and with a 26" barrel it was a handful at times when negotiating some of the jungle bush we have here and the high and steep alpine areas where our chamois and tahr are found.

The S&L rifle like most of the long magnums needed the long barrel to get anything like the published velocity for factory ammo and even reloads. It did give an honest 3000fps with a 160gr bullet in reloads and the Norma factory ammo with the same weight of bullet gave 3040fps compared to the published 3100fps.
This rifle served me well hitting long and hard on animals but I was younger then and could carry the heavy long rifle along with a heavy pack for many miles of walking to get into some of the areas we hunted at the time.

In my later years I have been using a Marlin XS short action 22" barrel in 7mm-08. A bit like a toy to handle being short and light but shoots accurate, recoils bugger all and will poke a 140gr bullet along at 2800-2900fps.

In the last decade I have hunted with my sons and some of their friends and had a few expeditions on tahr hunting high up in our Alps. The boys felt we needed a rifle with more reach and knock down power for some of the big bull tahr we were trying to get. Our 7mm-08's do well enough out to 300-350m but are noticeably short on pure anchoring power, and trajectory, for longer shots.

Anyway the opportunity presented itself to purchase a 2ndH Browning X-Bolt in 7mm WSM. With its 22" barrel I was not expecting to see full factory ammo velocity when first putting it across a chronograph but I was a little incredulous, putting it mildly, to see the velocity readings, and accuracy, from such a lightweight short barreled magnum. Sure it is operating at high pressure but so was my S&L with Norma ammo.

Maybe the X-Bolts have fast barrels, they are certainly highly polished in the bore and being Japanese made rifles are of high quality steel and beautifully finished barrels and actions.

Anyway at nearly 72 years of age now I am sold on the lightweight short action, short barrel rifle and stubby cartridge concept. They produce the goods, well for me they do, just wished I had one back all those years ago instead of lugging round the battle axes of the day. It seems from various posts here and online that those that own and use the short action magnums love them, there is more to it than just a half inch shorter bolt throw Big Grin

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
270 WSM here , Browning A-Bolt since 2002.

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I've still got the 270WSM I bought for tahr. Both the Tikka rifle and the cartridge are pretty ugly but shoot bloody well, even with my 110 and 180-grain handloads. The latter even go end on through the 300-yard targets. Although the calibre is too short for the action and lacks the aesthetics of the 270 Win, it's a fair bit more powerful. I'd be wary of it in a staggered magazine, though.

Posts: 4969 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Yes 300 WSM

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10059 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 325 WSM that i came by in a strange sort of way. A friend won this rifle and he, being a small frame guy, thought it would be too much gun for him. I traded a 7mm-08 for it. I like the gun and I have killed several deer with it. It is a Browsning A-bolt.

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Always thought the .325 would be about the perfect medicine for elk. Never owned one.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Never owned one. I like the idea of something a little more potent than an 06 case without the belt, but I feel like they just took the short, fat aspect a little too far.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
Never owned one. I like the idea of something a little more potent than an 06 case without the belt, but I feel like they just took the short, fat aspect a little too far.

You should get one, I'm sure you will like it, I don't agree they took the short aspect too far. My 7mm WSM below, the X-Bolt is a beautiful action and feeds rounds smoothly from the flush fit, inline feed, magazine.

I'm really sold on these short magnum cartridges, from the 22" barrel I get slightly better than factory advertised velocity from 140gr and 160gr factory loads and with the suppressor that has a built in stainless muzzle brake, the Browning is most pleasant to shoot.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
That's interesting, Eagle. Having a muzzle brake toned down by a suppressor sounds Smiler great but can a brake actually work if the gasses can't react against the atmosphere?

I suppose if the holes are underneath, the gas could bear against the underside of the suppressor, pushing it down. Angling the holes forward towards a baffle, could also push the suppressor and rifle forward, away from the shooter.

Obviously, it all vents to atmosphere eventually but with a much gentler rocket blast.

Posts: 4969 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
That's interesting, Eagle. Having a muzzle brake toned down by a suppressor sounds Smiler great but can a brake actually work if the gasses can't react against the atmosphere?

I suppose if the holes are underneath, the gas could bear against the underside of the suppressor, pushing it down. Angling the holes forward towards a baffle, could also push the suppressor and rifle forward, away from the shooter.

Obviously, it all vents to atmosphere eventually but with a much gentler rocket blast.

Never had a look inside these suppressors to see how they work but they most definitely tame both noise and recoil extremely well. According to Gunworks the manufacturer, they are designed to cut recoil by 1/2 and noise by 2/3rds. The suppressed X-Bolt 7mm WSM is nothing like a normal magnum to shoot. I have shot it without ear protection and the shot noise is just a crack on par with a 22 Magnum RF. I haven't shot it without the suppressor and don't want to either as I imagine with the light rifle and short barrel the recoil would be rather sharp as would be the shot noise.

Specs from Gunworks:

41mm DIA DURALIUM SUPPRESSOR - Reduces recoil by half and removes 2/3rds noise

13.5” 41mm Magnum

Suitable for 270wsm, 7mm saum, 7mm rem mag, 300wsm etc (not suitable for ultra mags)

13.5” in length (340mm), sits 5” forward & 8.5” back

Weight 460–470grams (s/s internal muzzlebrake 20,000 rnds)

Colour black

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Always thought the .325 would be about the perfect medicine for elk. Never owned one.

I have also thought the same regarding the 325.
I have the 325 WSM in stainless Kimber Montana's and New Haven M70 classics. Unfortunately, I have shot only paper with any of my WSMs. I think the 325 is a great cartridge.

I also have the other WSMs in the M70's. My next personal favorite is the 7mm WSM. The 300 WSM would be my favorite of the 300's. The 270 WSM is certainly not shabby if one is a .277 fan.

The first 325 Kimber Montana that I saw on the rack, I bought. I recently had that barrel cut to 22-1/4". I like it even more. I hope to get it to the range within a few weeks.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Never had a look inside these suppressors to see how they work but they most definitely tame both noise and recoil extremely well. According to Gunworks the manufacturer, they are designed to cut recoil by 1/2 and noise by 2/3rds. The suppressed X-Bolt 7mm WSM is nothing like a normal magnum to shoot. I have shot it without ear protection and the shot noise is just a crack on par with a 22 Magnum RF. I haven't shot it without the suppressor and don't want to either as I imagine with the light rifle and short barrel the recoil would be rather sharp as would be the shot noise.

Specs from Gunworks:

13.5” 41mm Magnum

Suitable for 270wsm, 7mm saum, 7mm rem mag, 300wsm etc (not suitable for ultra mags)

Colour black

I'm jealous. I had to fire several shots at a tahr that was hit but ran and this left me more deaf for six months. Trouble is, suppressors are lumped with silencers here and not allowed for amateurs. So, efficient as the 270 WSM is, it doesn't seem any quieter.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
quote:

Specs from Gunworks:

13.5” 41mm Magnum

Colour black

I'm jealous. I had to fire several shots at a tahr that was hit but ran and this left me more deaf for six months. Trouble is, suppressors are lumped with silencers here and not allowed for amateurs. So, efficient as the 270 WSM is, it doesn't seem any quieter.

Yes it is a shame that suppressors are still outlawed in many countries due to the connotation that they are a snipers accessory used by criminals on their guns to wreak havoc on the innocent population.

Rather they should now be viewed as PPE necessary for health and safety. Here suppressors are virtually 100% the norm amongst the up and coming shooters and gaining high percent traction amongst established shooters including the aged like me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have only acquired my 7mm WSM late last year ready for our (myself and three sons) 7 day Tahr hunt planned for July this year. Unfortunately bad weather saw our trip cancelled.
My youngest son has shot two large red deer with the WSM and was impressed with the DRT performance on the reds.

The rifle is a Browning X-Bolt with a magnum suppressor on the original 22" barrel (sits 8" back over barrel and 5" forward of muzzle). The suppressor has an internal stainless steel muzzle brake reducing recoil to 7mm-08 level and noise to a crack like a 22 Magnum Rimfire.
The X-Bolts are very nice light rifles with a tang safety and excellent half-open bolt position i.e. bolt handle up, making them very safe to carry with a round in the chamber.

About 60 or so rounds of factory ammunition, over a hundred once fired cases, a full can of powder, Fed 215 primers, and reloading dies came with the rifle and my local hunting and fishing shop has another 60 rounds of the same Federal factory ammo on the shelf which I'll get round to purchasing soon. All in all enough ammo and reloading stuff to outlast me.

I used a 7mm Magnum (7x61 S&H) for several decades of hunting so am very familiar with the performance of the magnums but the short action Browning and performance to date of the WSM cartridge really impresses me.

Chronographed factory ammo from the 22" barrel shows slightly better than factory MV for the Federal 140gr (average of 3230fps) and just over 3000fps MV for 160gr Winchester and 162gr Hornady. Can't ask for better than that.

Eagle: I have this same caliber in an A-Bolt. It’s been to Africa and did very well on a Bison hunt here in Utah. Although my 300 Win is my favorite, I really like this caliber.

Ammo can be a challenge to find but I have (by luck) been able to find some.

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As can be seen by the replies, the "short magnums" are still too new to be obsolete, but they'll make it there quicker than most cartridge designs.

But who am I to criticize? I own a .256 Winchester, 7x33 Sako, a .22 Short rifle and handgun, a .32-20 rifle and handgun, and a .25 Remington. But I doubt the WSM's, or particularly the WSSM's, ever being regarded with the "class" that these other obsolete rounds have.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
My dad still uses his Remington 700Ti in 300SAUM for everything since I got it for him in 2004 for a Colorado elk hunt.

1-shot kills and DRT on everything including African plains game.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IHAVE A LIKE NEW .325 WSM IN A KIMBER MONTANA. i DON'T USE IT THOUGH IN FAVOR OF A LITTLE .308.

KJK

Posts: 681 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im old school, and long in the tooth and still prefer a 300 Win, or a 338 Win and I like the 375 Ruger and 9.3x62, but in reality for the USA Im satisfied with the 270 and 30-06.

But I believe the short mags are proper calibers and capable..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ishoot a custom 7mm WSM. Lengthened the throat to allow a COL of 3.2. Shoots 180 gr Berger at 3000fps. Use it on steel most of the time. Regret selling a 325 WSM....very underappreciated.

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Just purchased three packets (60 rounds) of Federal 140gr TBT ammo for my 7mm WSM, the last stock my local gun shop had on the shelf. Another large gun shop with a few branches nationwide is advertising the same ammo for sale and I'm tempted to buy a bit more while still available although at NZ$100 per packet it is not cheap although is comparable to much of the magnum ammo and reloading components retailing here now.

While I've got plenty of once fired cases and reloading dies for the WSM, the Federal TBT ammo is great stuff giving fine accuracy and slightly better than factory advertised velocity in my 22" Barrel X-Bolt. My youngest son has had DRT shots on two big red deer so far. The one recovered bullet from a shoulder shot shows perfect expansion and hold together.

It is not the sort of gun you blaze away ammo on target much and if all shots are DRT then my stock of factory ammo will be good for the rest of my lifetime shooting animals and hopefully will feed the gun as the WSM lives on with whichever of my three sons takes it over.

Expensive at NZ$100 per packet but worth it IMO.

Federal 140gr TBT recovered from shoulder shot red deer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to see that you and your son are enjoying the 7mm WSM. I have one in a stainless M70 classic that I have had several years. I have it bedded in an aftermarket stock, scope mounted, factory ammunition, and plenty of reloading components. I have just not taken the time to sight it in.

I do like the cartridge. It and the 325 WSM are my favorites of the WSMs. I use monolithic bullets mostly in all my cartridges. But, I am also a fan of the solid shank Trophy Bonded types. I have more or less chosen the 145-150 grain for the 7mm WSM and 7mm Remington in the monolithic types. I think those will do all I need for 7mm use.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ldmay375:
Good to see that you and your son are enjoying the 7mm WSM. I have one in a stainless M70 classic that I have had several years. I have it bedded in an aftermarket stock, scope mounted, factory ammunition, and plenty of reloading components. I have just not taken the time to sight it in.

I do like the cartridge. It and the 325 WSM are my favorites of the WSMs. I use monolithic bullets mostly in all my cartridges. But, I am also a fan of the solid shank Trophy Bonded types. I have more or less chosen the 145-150 grain for the 7mm WSM and 7mm Remington in the monolithic types. I think those will do all I need for 7mm use.

Federal do supply the trophy bonded tipped bullet as a reloading component which I would like to obtain in both the 140gr and 160gr weights for the 7mm WSM, however their website is saying that the TBT bullets for all calibres they make are currently unavailable. I don't know if this is a temporary or permanent position.

Their 7mm WSM ammunition with 140gr and 160gr TBT bullets is listed as discontinued on their website although 7mm Rem Mag ammo with the 140gr TBT bullet is listed as available. Hopefully they will continue to supply the TBT bullets as a reloading component, I would reload these for my WSM and also my three sons 7mm-08's. I usually load the Hornady 139gr SST bullet in the 7mm-08's but I think the TBT bullet might be a better one where some extra, or more sure, penetration maybe required.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 270 WSM. It shot well, but it did have issues feeding. I finally sold it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a 270 WSM, a 7mm SAUM, a 300 SAUM, and a 25 WSSM. Still have the 7 SAUM and 25 WSSM. They work, though no better than a dozen other rifles I have. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a browning highwall in 7mmwsm that I have never shot. Took it out of the box, engraved it and put it back in the box.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes for sure .
My Kimber Montana 300WSM shooting 150gr Barnes TTSX has been a very deadly accurate combo .Sheep - Deer- Elk - Moose.

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used one - a .300WSM. Shot well, felt awkward but worked fine. I prefer the longer cartridges for feeding reasons. If your gun handles the WSM shape, by all means shoot it!

Posts: 10174 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote