Find
Notify
Tools

270 wsm
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted
I purchased a tikka in a 270 wsm this season. Is it just me or does this 270 kick hard. I shoot my 300wm all the time without a concern but I just seem to feel it with the tikka. I'm concidering a limbsaver just for confort. Is it all in my head?????

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Tikka T3Lite in 270WSM and a Tikka 695 cal. 300WM; IMO the T3 kiks a little less, even considering that it is somewhat lighter; you are probably experiencing the strong muzzle blast of the manufactured 270WSM cartridges, often charged to the max.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it probably kicks pretty fast if it's a T3 Lite. Since it's performance with 140gr. bullets is roughly on par with a 7mm Remington Magnum and it is in a lightweight gun, you might find cartridges that fire larger, slower bullets will "push" more but do so more slowly. If you're concerned, go for the Limbsaver, the T3 and 270 WSM combo is a great combo and last thing you'd want to do is hurt your field performance by developing a flinch.

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have the .270 WSM in a browning A-bolt and shoot it alot with 150's I switched to 130's and it calmed down a bit. I also built some light loads with 56 grns of H380 and 130 ballistic tips if my memory serves me. This load gives .270 win like velocities and is nice to shoot at the range.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of old owl
posted Hide Post
I have the same and I installed a break, it helps to keep the barrel down, even with a limbsaver pad I find my 270 wsm with break still kicks off more than my buddy's 300wsm Browning stalker with boss.

then again my reload is probably a little hot
74.2 gr. Mag Pro with Nosler 140 Accubond

Posts: 10 | Location: two mountains, quebec | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
Yup. its a hard kicking little SOB, especailly in a light rifle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys have got to be kidding me!

I shoot a Winchester Model 70 in 270 WSM and it is one of the lightest kicking rifles I own. It feels about like shooting my 25-06.

I am quite impressed that I can shoot 140 Partitions at 3200 fps and have such low recoil.

Maybe it just fits me, I do not know, but my 270 WSM does not kick at all !!!

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's laughable at how someone can't tolerate the recall of a 270 WSM. What the hell.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will agree with those that said a 270 WSM isn't a recoil monster, I have several and they all shoot mildly to me. Having said that, I have a good buddy that has the Tikka T-3 lite in one, and it kicks like a bitch! I put a deceleraor on it, and it helped a lot, but it is one of the hardest kicking rigs 'per caliber' I've ever fooled with. I figure it's got something to do with stock configuration, it's not just weight, I've got a couple that are lighter, and they don't kick anything like that Tikka.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO.. fellas.. a lot has to do with technique off the bench.
A lot of guys fire their rifles off the bench in..lets say less that optimum position. So they feel a lot more recoil than they do in standing off-hand position for instance.
So they say you never feel recoil when firing a shot at game..partly yeah..but most of the time you are allowing your body to FREELY move with the recoil so it seems like its a lot better and you have a firm grip on the fore-end which helps to spread out the recoil.
(Benchfiring) If you sit upright, hold the forearm firmly you'd be surprised at the effect..versus what most do, they will lean way into the rifle (no way for their body to give) and not hold the fore-arm and get pounded by the top of the butt instead of the full area of the butt and the muzzle jumps way up.
Try it out and I think you will see what I mean.
IMHO.. Light calibers/rifles like the .270 WSM with Hi-velocity tend to jolt/jump in recoil where heavier cals with lower velocity say 2400 fps or lower tend to push.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Some people seem to be able to take more recoil than others and some don't want to admit that it hurts. A hard kicking rifle to one person may not be to another. That being said IMO the 270WSM kicks. Call me a wimp if you want, but after shoulder surgery along with aging and a slight build I search for the lightest recoil I can find that still does the job. I don't seek to kill on both ends.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moose-Hunter:
It's laughable at how someone can't tolerate the recall of a 270 WSM. What the hell.

It's recoil is more than tolerable it was just touted in every outdoor rag as haveing litle recoil. Most feel it kicks about like a 7 rem mag with 150 grn. bullets.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Take the stock recoil pad off the T3 and look at the side you can't see when it's installed.

You'll know immediately why it is so uncomfortable. Wink

A replacement after market pad is probably all you need.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:

What an ass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
everyone's different. and taking the advice of a gunwriter on felt recoil is probably a bad idea lol yea Boddington will go on about how much less the WSM's kick, but i watched him on TV take a 416 Taylor like it was a 22!

277 caliber or not, its still packing a lot of powder in that case. could be stock shape, could be materials...who knows. if a good pad doesnt help, get a different stock! a nice laminate stock might make all the difference in the world

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage in .270 WSM and it gives a pretty good crack to the old shoulder with a 140 grainer at almost 3200 fps. I put a Limbsaver slip on pad and it improved things quite a bit.I think it's the same deal as a .300 Mag vs .338 Mag recoil comparison. To me, the .300 kicks more than a .338 because same case/same powder/smaller hole. It's a sharp recoil where the .338 is a big push. I would imagine that the .270 WSM has a sharper recoil than a .300 WSM for the same reasons. By the way, I shoot a .338 Mag, 12 GA slug guns and a 6 lb .454 Casull carbine, and am not afraid of recoil.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet that 454 carbine is a real hoot! I've got one of the Handi Rifles in 500 S&W, probably in the same ball park lol

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote