New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Length
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Being of short stature, I find rifles with shorter barrels to be more user-friendly.

That's one reason I like the Remington Model Seven (20" barrel) but I wondering if I should limit myself for that reason. Let's say I got a Savage or a Tikka with 24.6" barrel and had a gunsmith cut it to 20" - would that accomplish the same thing? Or does messing with the length mess up the barrel harmonics or something?

Thx!

Hunter308

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been my experience that a careful recrowning often improves factory rifle accuracy. Having your barrel shortened by a COMPETENT gunsmith is a fine plan, IMO.

"How do you know this to be true?" -- Finn Aagaard

Posts: 103 | Location: Orange County, CA. | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am by no means an expert on this but I have heard that a shorter barrel can actually improve accuracy because the shorter length is more rigid. However, some cartridges are made for a longer tube and the powder burn rate/capacity won't work in short barrels. If you are thinking of a magnum cartridge with a shorter barrel you might consider the short magnums, they will perform better from a shorter barrel than the standard mags.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1190 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shortening a barrel should not affect accuracy if done properly by a competent gunsmith, and with a good recrown done. As noted, might even improve the accuracy some. About the only detriment will be some loss of velocity with the shorter barrel - generally more so with the magnums vs. standard cartridges. I like a 21" barrel myself, for standard chamberings; 23" for magnums. Nothing special, just a personal preference.

Posts: 60 | Location: SW Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shortening the barrel will affect the harmonics, but that simply means that your favorite pet load may not work as well and may need to be tweaked slightly. However, I have seen several articles that showed shorter barrels having better accuracy than longer barrels. VA7 is right, probably the most significant concerns will be the burn rate of your powder and loss of velocity (slightly). A good 'smith should be able to help you out.

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or does messing with the length mess up the barrel harmonics or something?

No. All it does is cost you between 25 to 50 FPS in muzzle velocity per inch you chop off, depending on the cartridge. Magnums lose more than standard rounds when chopped. As Noel says, all is dependent on the quality of the new crown!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have short barrels and fairly long barrels 27".
I have cut barrels back they shot just fine the only thing I have noticed is that they are louder then the long barreled ones and do not hang as well for off hand shots.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote