Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a 300 ultra Mag.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted
hey guy's, if you all had a choice to buy a new 300 ultra Mag. and only had 3 to pick from , what would you pick, (1) remington sendoro sf (2) savage 116ss (3)Sako 75, I am planning on getting one of these for next year's moose hunt, because this site is so large ,i should be able to get some good debate's on all 3, here is what i think of the 3. Sako: supposed to be one of the accurate rifle's go'n, pricy. Remington, acording to this site, one of the worst gun's on the market.(though i have shot the sendoro sf, i am impressed for accuracy.) now savage, one of the cheapest rifle go'n, but i hear one of the most accurate, so i leave it up to you guy's. What's your opinion. p.s. let's not stray from these 3. thank's alot guy's. Rick.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Ok, I have had two of these 300RUM. One a 700 BDL, and another 700PSS. The PSS shoots like a champ, the 700 bdl had several issues. 700 BDL's crown needs to be redone. Also essesive throat length on the BDL. This thing was almost freebored like a Weatherby. Both barrels are rough as hell. So rough, that right now this second, it is being rebarreled with a new krieger barrel.

So if this is your first introduction to the Magnum world, I will say that this gun is just too much. My much older brother rarely shoots. Maybe 10 rounds a year with a 270Win. Maybe less. He decides he wants to go out west with me next year. He has it in his mind that he needs a 300RUM to kill a pronghorn and mule deer. I begged him not to get it. Well, he did. The boy can't shoot this gun. He is blaming the gun. I shot it with factory ammo and got ok 1.6" groups at 100 yards, he got 7". I tried to explain that this is a gun that demands lots and lots of practice. But he won't hear of it.

I suggest the 300WSM if you don't like the belt. If you don't mind, the 300Win mag. It you have rifles in this category and just want something different, then by all means give it a try. You can make them tack drivers with 220gr matchkings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will second big countries recommendation that unless you are prepared to shoot a lot to develop your abilities to shoot the ultramag to it's potential I would not buy one.It is a great cartridge(I have two myself)but many people simply can't shoot them well enough to take advantage of the power and trajectory it offers.If you are set on getting one I can tell you that I have not seen a factory rifle yet that was any more accurate on average than the sendero.This includes sako's and other higher priced rifles like the weatherby accumark.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, before the big new magnums, I decided to hang up my 300 Win Mag and move up to a 338. Recoil is not something that bothered me. I reloaded and reloaded mild. Then I found out what recoil is. I'm not afraid to admit it. Nine (9) rounds out of that 338 and I was happy as hell I didn't trade in my 300. I stayed with it but recently moved down to a 270 that I rebarreld this summer with a custom barrel. (I sold the 338 to a mashocist.)

I believe the super magnum will fad for two reasons. Recoil and velocity. The gun shot where I do business, sells one of the big magnums then takes most of them back in trade less than a year later. The shop is not a small place and keeps several hundred new guns in stock at all times.

As hunters use these cannon, they majority are going to miss those 500 yard shots becasue of recoil. When they do hit, the velocity will damage too much meat. Then there will be the trophy that will run off because the bullet "blew" up. You see, the higher velocity brings back the problem common before premium bullets solved it; that is bullet failure. Manufactures stepped up with better bullets when new powders stepped up velocity in ordinary 30 06 and 270 loads. Now we are back to that problem.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the 300 ultra mag in the remington sendero is very accurate,just remember to use premium bullets,velosity by it self doesn't cause exessive damage it takes a poor bullet.A 308 win with a varmit bullet will cause more damage then the ultra mag will with an x bullet.and very few people should shoot at game at 500yds. unless conitions are great,and they shoot alot each year.

Posts: 120 | Location: yukon | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
You know I was reading an old article when the 300Win Mags came out. It said it was a passing fad and would die out. Also went on to say "who needs a 300Win mag". Just kinda cracks me up a little to read that. I bet more 300RUM's was sold in the last two years than 300Win Mags in it's first two years of sale. But you may be right. Could you explain the blowing up theory. As far as blowing up, I have never seen this happen. With Nosler PT, shot close range, I seen where there was alot of hydroshock damage but the exit wound was small.

<phurley>
posted
Richard -- I just finished a reloading job for a good hunting buddy. He won a .300 Ultra in a Remington, a beautiful camo rifle, from the Rocky Mountain Elk foundation. He was also lucky enough to win the Elk hunt for two to New Mexico on East Marino ranch, which was a national draw. I shot his rifle for several months working for that one hole group. The rifle had a 7.5 pound trigger that had a hellish creep, otherwise a nice gun to shoot. After all the shooting, I was able to get the one holer with a 200 gr. North Fork bullet, at 3000 fps. I got a near one holer with the 180 North Fork at 3200 fps. I have no grips about the accuracy of the rifle, but the recoil bothered me, and I shoot two .340's, two .358 STA's, and a .416 remington of my own, which is to say I don't mind a kick. The reason for the recoil is I was using 92 to 94 grains of powder. I can get 3100 fps. from my .300 Win mag with a 180 grain bullet and use only 78 grains of powder, and get one hole accuracy. The extra 14 to 16 grains of powder makes for a bucking bronco in your hands. It may not bother you, it did me. Just thought I would relate my experience with the .300 Ultra mag. [Eek!] [Wink]

<hcfd533>
posted
I have a Remington model 700 LSS in 300 Ultra Mag. It shot 1 inch groups at 100 yards out of the box with factory ammo and I'm now shooting 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups with reloads. The 300 Ultra Mag has a pretty good kick, but you get used to it after a few days at the range. As for the Sako and Savage I could'nt say how they shoot in the Ultra Mag but I have 2 Savage's both in .243 and they both shoot awsome groups. For the money the Savage is a tack driver.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've got a Rem Sendero SF in .300UM that I'm very happy with. I'm getting around 1.5-2" 3 shoot groups @100 yds with the 180gr factory loads. The only problem is the trigger is set at 6lbs. Once I get it reduced I'm sure groups will tighten up a bit. I use a thick piece of carpet between my shoulder and the rifle butt when shooting off a bench, It makes the recoil tolerable. I bought the rifle to hunt with but, I never use it. I really don't need anything this powerful for the hunting I do. The guy at the gunshop cought me in a moment of weakness and the rifle followed me home. I use a 7mag most of the time in the field and to be perfectly honest it's more than I need too. I've just been in magnum phase for about 2yrs now. After it passes I'll go back to my trusty .308win and the deer will never know the difference. [Wink] TC

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
now are you confused you should just buy a browning 270 wsm heheheheeh [Wink] [Razz] [Smile] [Wink]

Posts: 40 | Location: toronto | Registered: 19 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted Hide Post
To jason wyte, you could be right about the 270 wsm. but try and purchase one.(you should know)anway, i tryed the sendoro sf. and it don't kick as hard as my 308 savage doe's. could almost shoot it all day. but let's get back to the real picture, who has the best 300 ultra.for the big canadian buck? I am partial to the savage , so let's hear from the other's to find out the truth about this caliber. Rick.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why?

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

I would pick the Rem 700.

However, I regard factory rifle accuracy as a throw of the dice.

The Sako I would eliminate because I can put a Jewell trigger on the Remington and also fit mounts like Dual Dovetails. My personal view is that the tapered dovetail mounts are always potential problem areas.

If I was buying a 300 Ultra myself I would just buy the BDL stainless. The testing myself and a couple of mates have done over a few years has shown us that when an accurate barreled action is bedded to those "rubber" stocks the accuracy is better than with fiberglass or with the fiberglas and aluminium bedding block. Our testing has been on calibers from 264 Winchester through to 358 STA and 375 H&H all with Number 5 contour barrels.

I would not even test the Rem factory barrel but would have a match grade barrel fitted upfront, probably Number 5 contour.

To me, a 300 Ultra to get what it really needs to justyify it, a ragged hole grouper is required.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a 300RUM Sendero this spring and I absolutely love it! Its a bit heavy but I get 3 shot 0.650" groups at 100 yds and 3" at 300 with a 180 gn Ballistic Tip at 3360 fps. After I learned to shoot it the recoil is very mild. The key I found when shooting off a bench is to have the rifle high enough so that you are sitting almost upright when shooting. I mounted a Burris 4.5-14 with the ballistic plex and recently dead centered a deer size rock at a lazered 400 yds 3 shots in a row using a bipod holding dead on with the 400 yd crosshair. I'm very happy with the setup.--PBH.

Posts: 60 | Location: CA USA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
What about a Winchester or Browning?

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard Wayne,
I am gonna buy one too. I have all but decided to get one from Remington's Custom shop. I like the Alaskan Wilderness Rifle. I wanted this caliber for timberline Elk/deer/sheep. Something light and flat shooting. From the people I've spoken with Including the custom guys at Remington these guns are very accurate. Most shoot well under an 1 moa with factory ammo. Everyone has said that .5 moa with handloads should be no problem. The gun is light at 6 3/4 lbs. but that's what I wanted. I did the same as you and looked at the Sako, browning, winchester, remington sendero, bdl. I just decided that weight and shootability is what I wanted. You can find the Remington AWR for around $1200.00 so not too pricey either. Good luck.

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
funny I should see this post today. Just came from the local gun shop where there was a new 300 UM for sale. Wood stock w/ open sights and some engraving, Remington Brand Bolt rifle. I learned it was won through a raffle and when the guy learned ammo was $40 a box, he wants to sell it. $590 I think. I have a 30-06 and a 338 wm so it's not something I need, but doesn't sound like a bad deal.

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted Hide Post
Hey guys: Thanks for all the come back on the 300 ultra, I personally shoot a savage 99 308,i'm pleased with what i have , but i want up-grade after 36 yrs. and i think this would be the perfect caliber to go to. I am going to hunt in clear cut's for the rest of my life.(52yrs.)so i figured to go with something with some punch, at long range's. I have tryed my buddy's 300 and i am impressed,and i am sure i will stick with this caliber.So looking towards comment's, thanks again :Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
I stopped by my sporting goods store and looked over this offereings. They had a fresh batch of used 300 ultras. I also noticed that they have much fewer in the new rack. The bloom is wearing off. They did tripple thier supply of the short mags.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Eric Leonard>
posted
mine is the 700 BDLSS.believe me it is a lazer.alot of people give every new caliber that comes around a hard time,just cause they dont like change.but believe me this round may be the best killing machine for 1000 lbs or less animals that has ever been made.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about the M70 in .300 ultramag? It would be my pick if I were going to get an ultramag. Right now they're trying to give them away, I've seen them in my dealer catalogs for under $500 for the stainless versions. A .300 WSM in the same rifle goes for $100 more. From my perspective the WSM cartridges are outselling the ultramags by a very large margin. The WSM's sell out from the wholesalers almost as soon as they get a batch. The ultramags are heavily discounted because they're having a hard time moving them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard, the best deal on a new 300 Ultra in Canada is going to be on a Savage. And they shoot very, very well (it is a Savage, after all). Good points on the used ones though. Let Joe average get one deer season under his belt with his new magnum, and some good deals are very close behind. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Sako is my choice. Mine does well under 3/4" at 100 yds with 180 Partitions at 3265fps. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys:

I haved to agree with Eric. I have many many calibers but none take out game like the 300 RUM.

I have a Remington 300 RUM LSS. It has six ONE shot kills on (1) 800 pound Bull Elk 251 yards, (2) Hartebeast 175 and 215 yards, (1) Warthog 75 yards, never even moved after it was hit. (1) Zebra 150 yards (1) Impala 220 yards.

Yes I do have a removable break, love it.

I use factory ammo 180 grn partitions...

[ 09-12-2002, 18:56: Message edited by: PAHunter ]

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
I too have a 300UM, for the guy who said the recoil is very mild, he must shoot a 460 wby alot.

The gun is a 700 PSS, it was very accurate out of the box. 3" @ 300 yards the first day at the range.

For recoil, a friend who has owned several 375 H&H's claims the recoil from my 300UM is worse. I also shoot his 458win mag which I don't find any more or less extreme.

Load it up or down , but its alot of Yeehaw for a 30.