New
Find
Notify
Tools

replacement stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Ruger 77 MKII all-weather version in 7mm rem. mag and want to replace the flimsy factory stock with one of the kevlar/fiberglass hybrids. I have been considering a bell and carlson, but have only heard negative things about them, mainly regarding their poor fit and accuracy. Right now I am leaning toward either an h-s precision of hogue overmolded stock with the full length aluminum bedding block. Has anyone used one of these replacement stocks? If so, how is the fit and accuracy. Does the full length bedding block improve accuracy over conventional bedding procedures?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have HS stocks on two M700s and am well satisfied. I have also had them on 3-4 other rifles. I prefer the black with white spider web. It has been my experience that HS is a great company to deal with.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Hogue Overmolds for Ruger 77s Mk 2s....

When the weather is going to be pretty bad, which it can get, here in Oregon once rain season starts...

That Hogue is really a nice thing to have..

Beats the plastic stocks.. I have a few HS precisions on Remington Rifles.... and I prefer the Hogue hands down.. Plus it can be had for about $200.00 cheaper also...

Boyd's Laminate Stocks are also a cost effective alternative...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Consider the Bansner stock. 20 oz. in the M77, can be had in Kevlar for even less weight. $275. The profile fits me very well and my rifle shoots great with it.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey seafire, thanks for the info. Looks like I'll try a hogue overmold. Do yours have the pillar bedding or full length aluminum block?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh yeah,
I forgot to ask about the increased weight of the hogue stock compared to the factory one. My principle use of the gun is for hunting. Is the difference in weight problematic or negligable?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You should be warned that the hogue stock forends are like a wet noodle, even worse if they are out in the sun on a hot day. I put one on one of my rifles and free floated it and had to leave a good 1/8" gap between the forend tip and barrel just so that when the forend was resting on the front rest the weight of the gun didn't cause the forend to contact the barrel.Very flimsy forends

aka. bushrat

Posts: 372 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And heavy.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THey do add a bit of weight but are very comfortable stocks. As to the flexibility of the forend of the stock it is easily fixed with a little fiberglass and epoxy. Just cut a groove out of the bottom of the stock with a dremel tool and then fill with fiberglass and epoxy, it doesn't take very much and only takes a few minutes, stiffens it right up.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCSteve
posted Hide Post
I like mine so far and haven't done any modifications.