THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Can you enlarge the mag of a 700 short action???

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you enlarge the mag of a 700 short action???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The only grip I have about my Remmington MNT rifle is that the darn Mag is so short I am limited to loading at least .04 off of the lands with ballistic tips or sst's. Any sugestions???? Beats me why a gun maker would make the mag so darn short in the first place. It shoots much better at .015 off of the lands but the rounds will not fit in the mag,

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
One wife
Two kids
Three Glocks
and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There might be a way. There is a mag. refered to as a Wyatt box mag. I think this is a brand name. I heard about this a while ago over on longrangehunting.com. I have a .300 Jarret built on a rem. 700 LA, and have the same situation you are describing. I have intended to look into the solution as well, but I have heard the call of a few new rifles and all my $ followed.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I wanted to do this w/ my M700SA, my smithy said yes, but there is some machining req'd.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but I can't recall who manufactures it. It's an 8 round magazine for the Remington BDL and other rifles as well. This has been about 15 years ago so I don't really know if they are still being made. Sorry I can't be more precise. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i have a ruger77 with the front of the magazine cut out wide enough to let the bullets pass up and down,my feed ramp is also cut back,i put bedding compound to make asmooth ride up for the bullets,very important to have that area flush with feedramp, i have a 284win col.3in it makes for extra case capicity it is a little hotrod cartridge set up this way

Posts: 38 | Location: seattle,wa | Registered: 29 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.wyattsoutdoor.com/mag.html

I found the one product online, Looking at my mag box last night I think that I could shave some off of the inside in both the front and rear and gain enough for my needs,,,

How hard is it to get another stainless mag box if I muck mine up????

Thanks for the replies!!!!

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
One wife
Two kids
Three Glocks
and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote