THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Seeking help pricing a 338 Belgium Browning Safari. Never fired

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking help pricing a 338 Belgium Browning Safari. Never fired
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello, I am selling a Browning .338 Magnum that has never been fired. Looks like it just came out of the box in the gun store.

Can you help me with the approximate price/value that I should look for?

Stamped on the barrel is the following:

Browning .338 Magnum Only
Browning arms St Louis Mo. Montreal PQ.
Made in Belgium

I can send photos.

Thanks for your help, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
realistically, $8-1100... w/o the box, and being handled.. i see them on tables at shows for more, but they don't sell.... there were several different models and grades...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jimatcat, Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. That price is much less than I expected. But I know that I am way out of touch with prices. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Is it one of the old FN Mausers?

I'd have thought those ones quite collectable, unless they had salt-cured stocks, perhaps.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes sambehman338 it is one of the old FN made in Belgium Mausers. It is not one of the salt cured ones. Thanks for your reaction. I think that jimatcat might have it wrong this time.
I thought it would be around $4,000.

Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you guys know of an agent/professional service that I could pay to give me a value/ Price? Thanks Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sure, you can pay me. If it is a Safari grade, I would think a price of US$1,750-$2,000 or US$1,500 if you want a quick sale. Medallion grade higher and Olympic grade much higher.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thirdbite,
Ah-Ah, Thanks.! Brian

One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Browning .338 Magnum

I took a quick look thru the bbig three gun auction sites and my local best source. The Browning A Bolt Medallion in 338 Mag new condition is averaging about 1200 USD with seventeen examples. Most of those are buy it now or minimum bid prices. The same rifle in Olympian finish is 15,000 USD. All are FN Belgium made rifles. So unless yours is a Olympian it would seem the market is about 1100-1200 USD for new in the box, 800-900 USD for lightly used, new condition.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think there is a significant price diference between the A-Bolt and the old FN Mauser Brownings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are we talking Canadian or US $$? There's a 30+ percent difference right now, so it is important to know if you're speaking in terms of money north or south of the 49th.

The Browning Safari was a classy rifle, but the market for it suffers due to the fear of getting a salt wood stock. Also, the demand for the higher grades (Medallion and Olympian) isn't nearly what it was. It seems that the older generation of firearms enthusiasts who appreciated fine wood and engraving have largely been supplanted by the "black gun" kiddos who care not a whit for the aesthetic appeal of a fine firearm.

As a result, the Safari won't bring what it might have 15 years ago, which is unusual for a quality firearm. (But a silly SKS will bring 10 times what it did a couple of decades ago!) Combined with the fact that hunting for large game that the .338 chambering is appropriate to has become rather expensive, the market value of a Safari .338 simply isn't what it ought to be.

Depending on how quickly you want to move it, or if you have the luxury of time to wait for the right buyer, I would put it between $1,000 and $1,200, US. If the wood is particularly appealing that might add a few hundred dollars to it and speed its disposition.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i wasn't paying close attention... i was thinking it was a BAR, (auto)... the non-salt-wood era of bolt guns are usually around $2k...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jimatcat, Thanks for update. Brian

Stonecreek, Thanks for your thorough reply, Brian

third bite, Thanks, Brian

Macs B, Thanks for your thorough reply. Brian

Much thanks to all posters! Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am one of the old farts who still admire and hunt with the FN Browning rifles. There is a bit of misinformation in a couple of the replies but I would place the value of your rifle in the $1700-2000 US dollars range. This is assuming that it has the long Mauser extractor. There were a number of these rifles produced with the small extractor and plunger ejectors. Oddly, many of these were magnums.
As previously mentioned the .338 caliber as well as the Olympian and Medallion grades don't command the premium that they have historically. Today's market does still favor the 375 H&H and 300 H&H with the 300 H&H perhaps the most desired. Rarest is probably the .308 Norma Mag.
Regardless, you own a fine firearm. I regularly carry mine in 30-06. Good luck with your sale.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simpsons Ltd just listed a used fn browning 458 today for 2000 use. If that helps

One of Us
posted Hide Post
swm and buckdeer, Thanks very much for the info. Very helpful, Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC, salt era started around 1967, some but not all. You can pull a butt plate screw to find out. 1966 and before I believe are a little better quality than after the salt era. I've had several, still have a couple. The .458 mentioned is likely push feed.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Is there much to the wood's grain, Brian?

Considering this rifle has never been fired and is probably 55-years-plus, my bet is that if it has decent wood there might be a buyer willing to pay at least $US1800.

Have you considered one of the auction houses?

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Samberman338 If you pm me with an email address I will send you some photos. Grain is straight with a little contrast blond and dark. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is important to remember that Canadian prices do not necessarily parallel US prices. For pre-owned rifles many times prices tend to be lower than those south of the border, especially if they are not current production.

Bill

Posts: 45 | Location: SE British Columbia | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The browning listed on Simpsons is on a Mauser action so not a push feed

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looked at it, yes it is, 1966 gun. Should give OP an idea of a starting point.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think around $1600 US is realistic for the rifle as described. I once had a Medallion grade, for the life of me I can't remember where it went! Most of the Grade 1's had fairly plain wood.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WJW:
It is important to remember that Canadian prices do not necessarily parallel US prices. For pre-owned rifles many times prices tend to be lower than those south of the border, especially if they are not current production.

Bill

Point well taken. I was looking at the website of a large Canadian dealer and found that the prices were, in "number" terms about what U.S. prices are -- but they were in Canadian dollars. That discounts them about 35% currently. Prices for firearms vary hugely from country to country, so sitting here 1500 miles from the nearest guy who ends all of his sentences with "eh?", I'm hardly and expert on foreign gun values, but I can do math and know that $100 Canadian is a little less than $73 US right now.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a current ongoing auction of Brownings, including one like the OP's. Might be worth keeping an eye on.
https://wilsonauctioneers.bidw...ions/107323/13705050

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thirdbite, Good eye, Thanks, Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://forums.accuratereloadi...1078981/m/5471051672
Here's one right here at home on AR. Not new, but appears in good condition w/long extractor and pre-salt era. Hasn't moved at $1,500 and now reduced to $1,400.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are 3 on Guns International. 2 are at 2200 and one for 2500. All in excellent near new condition. (search 338 browning safari) How long they have been there??? No idea...No recent sales on Gunbroker that I could find.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bghntr416, Thanks, Good to know. I will check them out, Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Asking" prices aren't a very good yardstick for what actual selling prices are. Everything on GI seems to be inflated, and most rifles listed on Gunbroker are priced above market and are just relisted week after week. I've seen some that have been relisted for at least two years!

For whatever reasons, nice guns took a jump in price during the Covid lockdown. Now sellers are asking Covid-level prices but buyers aren't biting. I can't tell you the exact cause or combination of causes of this market fluctuation, just that it is happening.

When I look at classified listings on a local website almost everything is a black gun, "chassis gun", or handgun. Not one in 50 listings are for traditional wood-stocked hunting rifles or shotguns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, Thanks, Very interesting market information.
I appreciate it. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One for sale here in the classifieds for $1400 showing some wear.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
squeezenhope. Thanks for the heads up - helpful. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for everyones help, I am good to go now.
Much appreciated, Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never owned a Browning rifle but held them in high esteem, especially the higher grades.
I cannot imagine why this one is not worth a lot...
I may be a sucker for a pretty face, but Browning puts out a great product.
I own several superposed O/U and a couple of pumps, a lever gun or two and the little semi auto .22 - all are great...

Good luck.

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, given the choice between a pre-64 model 70 Winchester and an older Browning Safari Grade, I would take the Browning. Like I said before, I still have 3 Safari Grades (300 H&H, 338, and 375 H&H) and they are great rifles. Just my opinion.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect the $4000 bid was closest to the rifle described, An 80% one would fetch $1200, 95% $2000, in 270 or 30-06. in a 338 or 375 H%H you have a bell ringer..If you have to ask collector!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray that's what I originally thought, Thanks, Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a 85 to 90% commercial Fabrique Nationale 1950s gun in the rare 250-3000 for $1275. with a ton of ammo, brass and bullets. Its not for sale as it shot five, 5 shot groups with an average of 358 give or take a tad, best I could measure. I tend to keep the ultra accurate rifles, I have it in a pattern stock for now. I intend to stock it at some point this winter..

The value in your gun is the UNFIRED VALUE, makes all the difference in the world, and collector guns are where the big bucks are..They can be hard to sell at times, but be patient. and consider taking a lesser offer if its close enough to your price. Takes two to tango!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote