Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Ruger 350 rem mag?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Really interested in this rifle but really worried about accuracy. Looking to use (hopefully) the 225 Nosler partition close to 2700 fps.

Any input?

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accuracy has nothing to do with a specific cartridge. Any cartridge can be made to shoot extremely accurate in the right rifle, while some claim one is more inherently accurate than another i think thats baloney.

The only real problem with a 350 rem mag is that its used in a short action. The short magazine box will not allow the usage of the 225gr Nosler accu-bond in that set-up. If i was to use a 35 cal cartridge for longer range work that the bullet i would use. As far as a 225gr partition it will work great, and 2,700fps is doable in a 22" tube.

Just so you know i own a .358win and a 35 Whelen so yes i like 35 cal very much. Both of mine are accurate and do a great job on deer, but i wouldnt hesitate to shoot any critter in NA or 98% of the critters in Africa with em.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry i didnt see that you were asking specifically about the Ruger. Its supposed to be a very good platform and i would worry about it, people seem to love em especially the newer production rifles. The older Ruger had very inconsistent barrels one would shoot great the other not. I would buy one, and have been thinking about picking up a stainless Hawkeye in .264 win mag...

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned two Ruger 77's (Mk1 in .270, Mk2 in .308) and both were very accurate. The only accuracy problem I ever had was with the .308 using factory Winchester Partition Golds.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 30 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to have a Remington Model 7 in 350 Mag.

225 gr bullets were not around then but my rifle shot great with 200 and 250gr bullets.

I liked the cartridge.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger all weather in 350 mag. With 225 grain sierras It is scary accurate. If I do my part I can get three shot groups that will fit in a half inch square of the target. The Ruger is nice if you want to load heavier bullets. The magazine will handle longer than the 2.800 standard for the cartridge. I go as long as about 2.860 without functioning problems.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike7mm08:
I have a Ruger all weather in 350 mag. With 225 grain sierras It is scary accurate. If I do my part I can get three shot groups that will fit in a half inch square of the target. The Ruger is nice if you want to load heavier bullets. The magazine will handle longer than the 2.800 standard for the cartridge. I go as long as about 2.860 without functioning problems.

Will that length accommodate the 225 Accubond

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by POP:
quote:

Per Nosler, 225 accubonds are recommended for the whelen, but not the 350 rem. The Accubonds are .200 longer than the partitions, theoretically you could load them longer if your chamber and magazine would accomodate, but you will be guessing on load data.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by POP:
quote:

Yes it would. You will have to check your rifle to make sure you can chamber longer than 2.800. Everyone I have talked to with a current production 350 ruger was a long chamber. My chamber could easily handle as long as 2.920. As far as load data goes I would use the same data as the partition and slowly work up. The only time I could see the 225 accubond being a problem is if you seated them to 2.800 with a max load as you will increase pressure. But with loading them long you would not be taking up any more case capacity than a 225 partition loaded to 2.800. The accubond and partition have the ogive in nearly the same exact spot. The extra length of the accubond is in the nose of the bullet.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop,
The Ruger platform is brilliant ... I had the magazine box opened a fraction to allow 310gr Woodleigh's to feed. It's now the ultimate all-rounder. A friend opened his to 35Sambar (35/300WSM) and gets speeds just short of the 358Norma ... another brilliant option. As they came from the factory the Ruger MkII was known for some feed issues so have it looked over, lighten the trigger and get the box opened a fraction and you'll be happy with your choice!
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buddies used 350 Rem Mags and 225 grain Partitions in Africa with excellent results. Both guns - Remington 700 Classics - shot around 1.5 MOA, which to my mind is plenty accurate as the 350 is not intended for quarter mile rodent popping.

One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
I had a ruger 350 RM wood blued at one time. Although I had just started load developement it was already shooting pretty good. I would get one again if I didn't already have a 35 Whelen.

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless its bent, most rugers can be rectified for a modest sum. The 350 is good medicine, but not as popular as i would like to see before i would buy one. However bullets are like knife steels, more then anybody needs, and many do the same thing the last one did for more money.