THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Best premium bullet for 30 cal mag ,small/med game
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best premium bullet for 30 cal mag ,small/med game
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
does anyone know the max velocity one could get out of 165gr nos bt in 300 win mag

Posts: 34 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ajwsm:
does anyone know the max velocity one could get out of 165gr nos bt in 300 win mag

Just a bit over 3100fps. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I'd say a bit over 3300 is max for 165 from a 26" 300 Win Mag.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the quotes off the Barnes web site for more look under bullet talk on the Barnes site
Dr B

Just a short letter thanking you for wonderful bullets manufactured by your company.

We custom load your bullets for clients of Trophy Ammo that have used your bullets in Russia, Mongolia, Argentina, China, all over Africa and of course, Canada, Alaska and every state which offers hunting.

We have used tens of thousands of your bullets from smallest caliber and weight to the largest caliber made by you. We have never had to apologize to a client.

When one asks, about a fine hunting bullet which delivers maximum velocity, accuracy and penetration we have no problem recommending Barnes Bullets.

We at Trophy Ammo live for accuracy, 3 shot inside five inch group at 100 yards. With your bullet, it’s routine.

I have personally used your bullets on eleven Safari’s. I am enclosing a target from my 300 Weatherby, shot at 100 yards (6 shot group) velocity 3248 at muzzle using Barnes XFB, 180 grain.

Thanks for helping us provide the best quality products for our customers.

Yours in good hunting,
Sam Sanjabi
Trophy Ammo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 130 grain X-Bullet has “killed†our local 300 yard targets with three shot groups of less than 1.25 inches. I also nailed an 8 inch target with three shots at 650 yards. That’s not bad for a bullet that’s only supposed to be for hunting and not for targets. If someone isn’t getting good groups with Barnes X Bullet, he isn’t reloading enough or correctly or isn’t playing with the seating depth. The only negative would be that I’ve never been able to recover an X Bullet from any game. After 20 years of using a good partition bullet, I finally found what real penetration is.

--William Sturgeon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I was loading up your 308-168 gr. Triple Shock bullets in a customers 308 Winchester I was getting better accuracy than the Sierra Match King 308-168 gr. Well under ½†groups.

--Larry @ Superior Ammo

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with those who say that the Barnes TSX is a good bullet ,accuarate and strong. The reason I wanted one other bullet for small game is that I have had the Barnes just zip straight through with out expanding much by the look of the exit wound. Of course the animal ended up dropping but often took a while or another shot. I have lost some medium sized pigs which were hit around the chest area and ran until we couldnt find them. No doubt they eventualy dropped as well ,but I was thinking that a more explosive bullet will have quicker results. I have just range tested the 180Gn balistic tips and interbonds. They both shot just as well as the TSX. The BTs and interbonds both group in exactly the same group while the TSX hit about 1/2" lower.(I will check them at 300yds in 2 weeks.)

Sympathy please ,I have champagne tastes and beer budget

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I use to load 168 gr. Sierra MKs to 3207 fps. in a .300 Win. Mag. with a 26" Kreiger barrel and Reloader 22. I could have gone even faster, but I used that rifle in some pretty warm places, so I kept the powder charge down a couple of grains below max.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
As I statd in my previous post-in my case I have absolutely no issues as far as accuracy, velocity potential, or penetration. That penetration does come with a cost. It is a great bullet, but on hogs and deer, take a shoulder and save a potential long track job. The plus side is you almost always have good blood from two holes.

Stevo

Posts: 81 | Location: nebr. usa | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep the Hornday interbonds unless you are going to shoot varmints with them. I would recommend the Speer Grand Slams.

Doug

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen a side by side comparison between the XLC Barnes and the Triple Shocks in accuracy?

I've got a load right now that shoots under a minute with my .300 win mag at just under 3200fps with Reloader 22 and 180gr. XLC XBT. Is there really going to be an expansion problem on deer sized game with the bigger bullet in the Barnes or should the 168gr. be a better choice for the all-round gun?

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
200 grain partitions shoot great in my .300 H&H.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it...So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rickt300,

Have you used the 200 Speer on large game? How does it perform? What is its accuracy like?
Thanks,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr B:
Take a look at the quotes off the Barnes web site for more look under bullet talk on the Barnes site
Dr B

Just a short letter thanking you for wonderful bullets manufactured by your company.

We custom load your bullets for clients of Trophy Ammo that have used your bullets in Russia, Mongolia, Argentina, China, all over Africa and of course, Canada, Alaska and every state which offers hunting.

We have used tens of thousands of your bullets from smallest caliber and weight to the largest caliber made by you. We have never had to apologize to a client.

When one asks, about a fine hunting bullet which delivers maximum velocity, accuracy and penetration we have no problem recommending Barnes Bullets.

We at Trophy Ammo live for accuracy, 3 shot inside five inch group at 100 yards. With your bullet, it’s routine.

I have personally used your bullets on eleven Safari’s. I am enclosing a target from my 300 Weatherby, shot at 100 yards (6 shot group) velocity 3248 at muzzle using Barnes XFB, 180 grain.

Thanks for helping us provide the best quality products for our customers.

Yours in good hunting,
Sam Sanjabi
Trophy Ammo

The 130 grain X-Bullet has “killed†our local 300 yard targets with three shot groups of less than 1.25 inches. I also nailed an 8 inch target with three shots at 650 yards. That’s not bad for a bullet that’s only supposed to be for hunting and not for targets. If someone isn’t getting good groups with Barnes X Bullet, he isn’t reloading enough or correctly or isn’t playing with the seating depth. The only negative would be that I’ve never been able to recover an X Bullet from any game. After 20 years of using a good partition bullet, I finally found what real penetration is.

--William Sturgeon

When I was loading up your 308-168 gr. Triple Shock bullets in a customers 308 Winchester I was getting better accuracy than the Sierra Match King 308-168 gr. Well under ½†groups.

--Larry @ Superior Ammo

Well, that proves it. If you can't believe what's wriiten on a manufacturers website what can you believe. I need to get out of my armchair and order some right away.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
My load is way different than you asked but animals under 200 lbs are the norm where I hunt. I have been using the Barnes 130 gr X and Win 760 straight out of the Barnes manual.. I moly-coated a bunch of them and when I run out of those I'll try the 130 TSX. They chrono a little over 3600 from my Colt Light Rifle are are a joy to shoot. Absolutely devastaing on game that size.

Oddly enough, I am a heavy for caliber bullet guy most of the time. I just am pleased with the results of this combination of bullet/rifle.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
In my 300 WSM the 150TSX is a excellent black bear/deer/boar bullet loaded up around 3200FPS in the 300 WSM.

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know, I have only used premium bullets on 3 animals: a grizzly and two Cape buffalo. I did lose a kudu once with a 225 gr Horn, but it was the classic, "fall down like a sack of potatoes, then get up and run away." In other words, I put the bullet between the spine and lungs.

So with the exception of that kudu (which I think was a bad shot), maybe I am just lucky.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make my choice 180 TSX.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr. B,
You kind of struck me wrong in telling 500 grs. he needs more experience,,,I would like to compare his to yours, I know his, in fact you might learn a lot about bullets on elephant if you were to read his latest article in Hatari Times, I believe, correct me if thats the wrong magazine 500.....but it was a darn good article and I agree on it 100% and I certainly have shot a lot of game with the same bullets he recommends....

Just think you should know what your talking about BEFORE you open mouth and insert your foot.... wave

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend to be a bullet slut when it comes to trying bullets in my 30-338's. As long as they don't go below 165 grs I am willing to try just about anything at the range. Those I like well enough graduate to hunting load possibles if my rifles like them and I like the bullet construction, the always get judged against:

When this scenario changes to what I actually take to the field, I am the most straight laced ol' prune you ever saw. Nosler partions 200 gr is my favorite load, followed by 180 gr.

I think I need to play on the wild side for a while and test some other premium bullets. The North Fork and Swift A Frames look interesting.

One last question without too much of a hijack. What happened to the Barnes original's pre "X" bullet nonsense. I have some of these and they are/were good bullets, anyone else worked with these?

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from the F class range and tried the 180gn baistic tips, Hornady interlocks and Barnes TSX. All hit at the same elevation at 300 and 500 meters. I would say that the BCs of the 3 bullets must be closer than published. Going by my scope settings ,the BCs of all bullets must not be quiet as much as published though. But for realistic hunting this means almost nothing. I just wanted to see if they all hit in a similar area before going bush with them to try them out.

Sympathy please ,I have champagne tastes and beer budget

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, one more vote for the 180-200 grain Nosler Partitions in a .300 H&H Magnum. They shoot better than any other bullet in my rifle. Have also had superior success with these heavy Noslers in two .30-06 rifles. Nosler is my preference.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote