New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 based on 458 Lott
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know if there is a 338 cartridge based upon the 458 Lott? I know that the 338 Win Mag is based on the 458 Win Mag, but curious if anyone has made a wildcat from the Lott.

I looked through the Wildcat forum, but there doesn't seem to be anything about it. Also, does anyone think such a wildcat would be any good?

I've noticed a great number of people like the 458 Lott, but some say what's the big deal of it over the 458 Win Mag. Anyway, thanks in advance for any comments.

500grains is on my ignore list for being who he is, which is not the type of person I like, want to be around, hear from or read anything he has to say, period.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
That would essentially be the 340 Wetherby.

I'm one of the 458 Lott fans. The 458 win mag is a very capable round, but the case really is a bit too small to hold enough powder for 500 gr bullets.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
You can also look at the 8 mm Remington, which is a full-length H&H case with improved shoulder, to get an idea what your cartridge might do. Of course you would want to shoot 250 grain bullets.

The .340 Weatherby's performance as noted abvove would be just a tad more.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cs273:

That would be a .340 Weatherby.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about the 338 Baer.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome, cs273.
In case you don't know, the basics are thus: The 375 H&H cas is ~2.85" long. Winchester cut it down to 2.5", about the length of the 30-06, and blew it out to 458" bullet dia.
The Lott retains the original full length. Up and down the list of calibers you see a "short" and "long" magnum version, like the 7mm Rem and 7mm STW. For a 338 caliber "Lott" you have the Wby and 338 Baer, both doing similar thing: necked down full-length H&H case with less taper.
Good stuff. But you won't get much less from the 338 Win, and you can get away with a 24" bbl without as much velocity loss.
As for the big deal over the Lott vs 458Win, well... a 500g going 2400 instead of 2150 may or may not be a big deal to you.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote