Find
Notify
Tools

Best of the 366's
 Login/Join

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Which 9,3 caliber would you choose and why, what kind of hunting would you use it for, Big game, Africa?

I'm trying to make up my mind about if the 9,3X62 should stay, or get a stab with the reamer to a 9,3X64 or another wildcat [Big Grin]

The prefered bullet weight is 285-320 grains.

Please motivate your choice

Don't be shy [Eek!]

/ JOHAN

[ 10-15-2002, 22:54: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Johan - seeing as you have opened the wildcat drawer - why not consider starting the 9.3x68.

A fellow enthusiast in Germany told me that the 8x68 case is capable of safely handling pressures that pop primers in the 9.3x64 case. The factory loaded rounds for the 8x68 run at 4000 B (58 800 psi).

He also mentioned that the capacity of the two cases are similar.

Having used my 9.3x62 on Kudu and the odd 12" diameter tree - I can report that it doesn't suffer from lack of penetration! I've never recovered a bullet head.

One year in the 70s we had invitations to three farms in Namibia - our luck - an embarassment of riches. My partner chickened out of starting at the third farm - where the Etosha Pan lions would follow the warthogs under the game fence and make merry with the farmer's cattle. I guess he thought that his 7.65x53 Argentine wasn't enough gun.

A planned trip to Zimbabwe to have a look at Buffalo fell through at the last minute.

For both of these I was more than prepared to carry the 9.3x62.

cheers edi

Posts: 222 | Location: Cape Town South Africa | Registered: 02 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I solved that same problem by acquiring a 9.3x62 and a 9.3x64.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a moose calf running (second shoot)towards me in the throat and the bullet whent trough the neck, trough the spine, trough the intestins and endet up in the inner steak.

Calliber: 9,3x63
Bullet: Lapua Mega 286 grain
A little more than max load of VV powder
A Sako Hunter rifle
Distance was about 50 meters.

You could allso consider the new 9,3x66 Sako, it has the same bottom dimension as the x62 and should be on par with the 9,3x64.

I would shoose 9,3x64 for that little extra push. Or perhaps the wildcat mentioned above. Or the new Sako.... [Wink]

Posts: 240 | Location: Finland | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen,

Now, were talking [Big Grin]
This famous 9,3X68 can it be fitted in a commercial FN action ? What velocity are you getting?

Thomas, Do you have anymore info about this new finnish rocket launcher. The down side is that I have this gun built on a nice commercial FN mauser.

9,3X62 is also one heck of a nice round, doing stuff workman like, little talk, much walk [Big Grin]
How much do you gain from a 9,3X64 handloaded compared to the 9,3X64.

I had this thought of building a 9,3-404 with 30-35 degrees shoulder. This would be a real thumper, but I'm affraid that recoil will be something that is not for the faint hearted [Big Grin]

I want to use the 9,3 for boars, moose, red deer, african plains game to bongo, Eland or simular size. Has any one tried it on syncerus caffer or the cats?

/ JOHAN

[ 10-16-2002, 23:09: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I would stay with my 9.3x62 always worked well for me

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
JOHAN -
quote:
syncerus caffer
What's that?

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
R-WEST

That is cape buffalo/kaffer buffalo in latin.

There are two types of buffalo, as far as I know. The dwarf forest buffalo which live in central and this south east african one.

<arbstdnt>
posted
If you don't mind me inquiring what are the details of this new Sako round ? Thanks.