New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby rifle question
 Login/Join

<bullseye>
posted
I just bought a Weatherby Accumark V and was loading some rounds for it. It seems that the rifle is not free bored. I had to seat a 168 grain Sierra Matchking down farther on my Weatherby than I did on my buddies Remington in 300 Weatherby. I never figured I would find the lands on a Weatherby. Anyone ever own a Weatherby that doesn't seem to be free bored? This gun was purchased new in late 1999 and I bought it from a guy and the gun is totally original. Whats your take on this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bullseye,

Are you sure you really hit the rifling.

The ideal for a Wby freebore chambering si that the parallel section should be right on bullet diamter. By far and way the majority are over bullet diameter.

I have owned 2 460s and one of those need a light tap on the base of a 500 Hornady to get it to travel down the long parallel section, close to an inch long by the way.

If you seated the 500 Hornady out past the cannleure the rifle gave the impression that the bullet had hit the rifling even though it had not done so.

The other possibility is the barrel has been set back and rechambered although this seems unlikely from what you have said.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote