Find
Notify
Tools

350 Rem Mag story
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys:

About a month or so ago I bought a used Remington Guide Gun Model 673 in 350 Remington Mag caliber. When I was a young hunter I used to like the looks of the old model Remmie 600. When I spoted the used 673 in the gun case at my Gunsmiths it just sort of followed me home.

I sold a long time Sako Finnbear 7MM Mag I had and purchased a Sako Finnlight in 270 WSM, then I came across a Remington 204 LVSSTH that I really needed.. and the Rem 673 just hopped in there.

So needles to say I had three new rifles to sort out and to get to shoot straight. The Sako Finnlight was the easiest, it shoots sub MOA Factory Winchester BT's... same as my Win Mod 70 270 WSM.. done.. I thought the HB 204 Remmie was shooting factory Hornady 32 grain 204's sub in, but it can't do it consistently. But the worst by far was the Remmie 673 in 350 Rem Mag. It shot 3.5 to 4 in groups @ 100 yards with the Remington Factory 200 grain ammo.

Well I took it back home scrubbed the bore and rechecked all the bases and screws. Went back to the range took my time and nadda... still 4 in groups. Well now it was time for a more detailed study. I went home and cleaned the gun again. I also took off the stock and noticed that their was a small hump in the barrel channel where the swivel stud came up through the stock, no free floating the barrel on this puppy. I remember an old bench rest trick and cut a business card and folded it in half. I put one piece over the stud, forcing more pressure on the barrel, and another folded piece on the forward side of the barrle lug. I put it all together and re tightened the action screws.

I also bought dies and ,decided to reload for one more caliber. I started with H4895... 55 to 59 grains...

So back to the range again..I still had two boxes of factory ammo so the first three shots of factory fodder went into slightly less than 2in. group @ 100 yards. That's twice as small as before the tweaking. The first three shots of 55 grains H4895 went into a 3 shot cluster of .550... all the rest of the recipes went from 1in. to 1.5 inches. I have to go back and verify the 55 grain load and maybe try 55.5 and shoot the 56 grain load again. The 56 had two holes touching and I may have pulled the third shot, this should be around 2700 FPS, I will have to check with the Chrony next time. It goes to show you not to give up on a rifle that isn't shooting well.

Next I will have to handload for the 204 Ruger and see if I could get it back below sub .500 where a HV Target should be.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine is getting .75-.90" with 225 grain A-Frames. I like the 673, nice looking gun and nice handling.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Now that you got it working real good what are you going to use it on in PA? wavejust curious. roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bartsche:

Who said I was going to use it in PA.... LOL But I do have a 600 lb. plus Black Bear that I am feuding with at my lakehouse in the Pocono Mountains. He destroyed over 5 bird feeders so far. I think one of those 200 gain Hornady's would fit him very nicely. Wink

But the 350 Rem Mag hits pretty hard, so maybe I will let my son in law use it next year in Africa for plains game.

This rifle just seems to balance real well, and comes to battery fast.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
PA,

Thanks for sharing the story... Right away I started to suspect a bedding issue (tight-spot somewhere making contact with the barrel). Goes to show if you go through the "basics" of checking these areas most of the time you'll find you can make a rifle shoot at least "minute of deer" if not turn it into a true MOA rifle.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PAHunter,
I had a Remington Custom Shop Model 7 in 350 Mag for a while. It shot very good even at 200 yards. The 350 Mag is a great caliber, however it falls in that "non high velocity" medium bore range that is not popular in this country because most think "velocity is king."
For a true HUNTERS cartridge rounds like the 358 Win, 35 Whelen, 350 RemMag, 9,3x57, 9,3x62, 9,3x64R, are some of the best rounds on the planet for big game.
The more you use that 350 the more you will like it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 350 Rem Mag can really be a true all around caliber.

For high performance loads like elk or big bears, or for big pigs it is very capable.

Also, you can shoot pistol bullets in it for fun, and you can also find some heavy cast pistol bullets for smaller game like deer.

Quite the cool round, thats why I have one.

-Spencer

One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
PAHunter,
I had a Remington Custom Shop Model 7 in 350 Mag for a while. It shot very good even at 200 yards. The 350 Mag is a great caliber, however it falls in that "non high velocity" medium bore range that is not popular in this country because most think "velocity is king."
For a true HUNTERS cartridge rounds like the 358 Win, 35 Whelen, 350 RemMag, 9,3x57, 9,3x62, 9,3x64R, are some of the best rounds on the planet for big game.
The more you use that 350 the more you will like it.

I couldn't agree more. My friend that I mentioned in the post above gets 2600 fps with 225 grain A-Frames. I wouldn't be afraid to take on any game in NA with that kind of performance.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PA,

Remington has been using that pressure bedding technique on the barrel for some time. I find that mine are sensitive to action screw torque because of this. Remington advises something like only 12-15inch-pounds on the action screws for the best results. I have a box stock 673 that came alive when I torqued it in the 25-30inch-pound range (w/ the factory pressure bedding on the barrel). It shoots factory Rem200CL 5shots 1 - 1 1/2" @ 100yds and handloads at 1" w/ the occassional 3/4" group. As a result, I've left mine as is. The only modification I'm considering at this point is converting it to a NULA 2-position/3-function safety.

Gary

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAHunter:
Hi Bartsche:

Who said I was going to use it in PA.... LOL But I do have a 600 lb. plus Black Bear that I am feuding with at my lakehouse in the Pocono Mountains. He destroyed over 5 bird feeders so far. I think one of those 200 gain Hornady's would fit him very nicely. Wink[QUOTE]

"If he is 600lbs. you might reconsider and go with a heavier premium bullet or better yet I have some 297grain cast gas checks that might just fit the bill." Big Grinroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad Starcevich
posted Hide Post
I love my Rem model 673 in 350 Reg mag. It is my idea of the ideal combo for hogs and bears.
Best, Starcharvski.

Posts: 135 | Location: St. Charles, IL USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
Now that you got it working real good what are you going to use it on in PA? wavejust curious. roger

Hey! We DO gots elks here, fella!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted Hide Post
PAHtr

I've yet to find a .350 that won't shoot either of these loads:

250gr Hornady RN or Speer SP with IMR or H4895 at 55 gr. CCI Mag LR

225gr Nosler Partition with IMR or H4895 at 58.5 gr. CCI Mag LR

My son and I each have it in the 700Classic and 100 and 200 yd accuracy with each one rivels my varmint Classics.

WN

Fill your boots, man!

Posts: 249 | Location: Northeast WI | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bartsche:

Hey! We DO gots elks here, fella!

I understand that but I'm told you have to go to the lodge Hall to find them. I hear the best time is fri. or sat. night between the free lunch and last call. roflmaoroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys:

Yes I have read about the tourque affecting the accuracy on the 673.... I also have seen the pressure point on some other rifles, that is why I went there first.

Elk in PA.... Hmmmm and I thought they were just oversized whitetails.. Where was that, oh yeah in Elk County...

This is the first time I am using H4895 powder and I am impressed with it so far. I stuck with the 200 grain Hornady Interlocks.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAHunter:
This is the first time I am using H4895 powder and I am impressed with it so far. I stuck with the 200 grain Hornady Interlocks...
Excellent Powder and also an excellent Bullet for the 350RemMag.

I've found it best to place that 200gr Hornady directly into a Shoulder going in. The Bullet is a bit on the tough side and if you shoot the ribs, you may have a bit of a tracking job on your hands.

The 200gr Hornady has always worked to perfection on Black Bears, Hogs and Whitetails. I see no reason why it wouldn't work well on an Elk as well, but I've not done that - yet.

Best advice I can give you is to get some kind of hearing protection and wear it "while hunting" with the 350RemMag. Only two shots without protection have created permanent damage in my ears. I use the Sonic Ear valves which run $8-$10. The case even comes with a small keychain style chain so you can hook them to your trigger guard to prevent forgetting them.

It is one of the very best cartridges for a true Hunter that has ever been created.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Hot Core:

quote:
Best advice I can give you is to get some kind of hearing protection and wear it "while hunting" with the 350RemMag. Only two shots without protection have created permanent damage in my ears. I use the Sonic Ear valves which run $8-$10. The case even comes with a small keychain style chain so you can hook them to your trigger guard to prevent forgetting them.

I am half deaf now from to much shooting when I ws young with no ear protection. I have a set of Sonic ear valves myself.

Regards.. Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE 450, It warmed the heart to read your favourable comment the old 9.3x57. My Husqvarna on the FN Mauser action in 9.3x57 is one of my favourite rifles. The round is a spanker and kills very well.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PAHunter, which lake are you on in the Poconos? I live just south of the Delaware Water Gap off 611 in Mount Bethel. Do you shoot at one of the ranges on a state game land or at a private range?

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Johnnyreb:

I live in Lakeview Estates, it has a private 150 acre lake called Wataqua. It is in a little town called Gouldsboro PA. I am about twenty miles form Lake Wallenpaupack

There is a two hundred yard rifle range at the state gamelands there. But I usually do my paper punching at a gun club called Guthsville Rod & Gun Club. It is in the suburbs of Allentown PA.

I was born and raised in Dunmore PA.... Left about 30 years ago, and returned with a summer home in Gouldsbore. I love the PA Mountains.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PA Hunter,

You're right about the short Remingtons. I have a 660 in .243 that I used to teach a wife (a couple back) to hunt up in Center County. I lost custody along with some skeet guns, but eventually got it back (her lawyer got the skeet guns since she didn't pay him). I'm sorta a .35 Whelan fan, but I would like to have one in 6.5 Rem Mag without the rib.

You do have some beautiful places up in PA that make great day trips from MD on a bike.

Good luck with the bear raider!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Lowrider:

I am also familiar with the Eastern shore of MD. Some great fishing down there. I travel down there some times on business.

I like your name, and I know it pertains to HD. I'm a long time HD biker, been riding since I was 15 years old, duh....37 years .. Smiler

I have a couple of custom Deuces, and a 94 Full Dresser in the garage. I had to give one of the Deuces to my wife... LOL she rides also.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
PAHunter,

That sounds very nice. I have only lived in PA for a year now, but I am going to try to take advantage of the PA mountains this hunting season. SGL 168 is right near me, so I plan on scouting that area well before the season. However, being from NC, I found this past winter to be brutal, but spring and summer are very mild from what I am used to...

johnnyreb

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PaHunter,

I started riding at 14 on a Lambretta scooter down in Florida. I was born in Pittsburgh, spent some time in Indiana, PA and grew up in FLA.

Gotta love those softails!! My lowrider has forward controls like the Deuce. We have an Iron head and a Geezer Glide too, but I still like the FXDL. I talked to a few guys today who did Rolling Thunder and they said it was great today. Last year it rained and was cold as hell.

If you head down this way....give me a shout!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
I have a 350 Rem Mag in the Rem 600 and the load that I have used for years is IMR 4320 and the 250 Speer Spitzer excellent bullet and powder.

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That Remington 673 has been calling me for some time now. I go back and forth between the .308 WIN and the 350 REM chambering though.

For me, the 350 might be an expensive overkill round. I shot 6 wild boar in Texas with a AR-15 and killed them dead. Though, the .308 killed them a little deader faster. 350 would have been good for my friend when he was charged by a 350lb sow and knocked out of a lawn chair when his junk Olympic arms AR-15 jammed on him.

And then there is the Ruger frontier rifle. OOOHHHHHHH!

Posts: 185 | Location: IL | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi FUR:

I would definitely prefer a 350 Rem Mag with a 200 grain bullet traveling at 2800 FPS over a AR-15.... 223 caliber.

Especially against a 350 LB wounded mean piggy.

Hi Alska Bush Man:

Did you ever kill a Brown Bear with your 350 Rem Mag? I am definitely going to Hunt Alaska some day for Brown Bear. But I will be taking my 375 H&H and my 416 Rem Mag... No pussy footing around with those big guys. Smiler

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com