THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    35whelen vs 338win (or why do I want a whelen so bad?)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

35whelen vs 338win (or why do I want a whelen so bad?)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A couple of years ago I decide I wanted a med-bore for the bigger stuff and a planned trip to Africa. So with money being tight and prefering Winchester rifles I couldn't afford a hunt along with building a Winchester in 35 whelen, so I bought a used model 70 in 338win. Now I'm sure a 35 whelen won't do anything any better than a 338, but I still would like to have one. In fact I've lusted after one for 15 some odd years and I'm thinking of selling the 338 and building the 35 I've always wanted! How crazy is this? Can anyone talk me out of it?

If I do build the .35 whelen this is what I have in mind:
Winchester action (more than likely stainless)
24" barrel, maybe flutted and most likely stainless
Talley light weight rings
Leupold scope
McMillan stock, G&H design in a swirly camo pattern.
Finished hunting weight of 8.5 pounds +/- Can it be done?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Winchester action (more than likely stainless)
24" barrel, maybe flutted and most likely stainless
Talley light weight rings
Leupold scope
McMillan stock, G&H design in a swirly camo pattern.
Finished hunting weight of 8.5 pounds +/- Can it be done?

Most certainly. Mine is a lot like you've described. Win70 action, stainless, 25" barrel, brown laminated stock, but I opted for EAW removable mounts and a Kahles 2-7 scope. Shoots true moa with Hornady 250 gr RN bullets at a bit over 2600 fps.

I've got other rifles, but that's the one that most always goes hunting with me.

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
If you build a Whelen, why not make it an Ackley? Better powder efficiency and no headspacing problems. Smiler But if you don't reload, then disregard my entire post.

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I went the same way Mark...
had both a 338 Winmag and a 35 Whelen.
I found that they were in the same class more or less, and it was the Ruger 35 Whelen with the 22" Shilen barrel that finally became my "go to rifle"

The 338 Winnie was finally sold to a good friend and lives a happy life as a moose rifle.
I´m more and more fond of my handy, light, accurate and hard hitting 35 Whelen.
With 250 gr Woodleigh, it has become my favorite moose and red deer rifle.

There is no question that the 338 Winnie is the more powerful of the two, but the Whelen have cast a spell on me.
No..... I will defenately not talk you out of it. Smiler
( and here comes the 9,3x62 guys I guess Razzer )

Arild

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My pre-64 M-70 35 Whelen has a 23" stainless barrel, a 4x scope and a Rimrock stock. The barrel is unfluted. I haven't weighed it, but it would be about what you mention. Total cost was about $2,500 ready to hunt.

You'll get a lot of advice on twist rate, and here's mine: 1:16 is standard for factory rifles and it's great for lighter bullets, but some folks report trouble stabilizing bullets heavier than 250 grains, especially at longer range. I would use 1:16 only if I planned to use bullets under 250 grains, but then I probably build a 358 Winchester over a 35 Whelen. Most custom 35 Whelens are either 1:12 or 1:14. I'll let others comment on them, as my rifle is a 1:10. That's fast for a 35 Whelen but my gunsmith recommended it and it seems to work just fine. I have only shot factory ammo so far and it shoots that much better than my stock Ruger did. Also, 225-gr. Federal Trophy Bonded loads hit very close to 250-gr. Remington loads in this rifle, which I understand is rare in a 35 Whelen. Perhaps that's due to the twist, but I don't know and I really don't care -- I'm not looking that gift horse in the mouth just yet.

Of course, a 338 or a 9.3x62 makes more sense for Africa, as you can get ammo there. Which one of these three cartridges is best for you depends more on where and how you'll use it than on any differences in the cartridges themselves.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why is it that when someone asks about a cartridge that others suggest something different? Seems like every time someone asks about the .35 Whelen, some body wants AI it or suggest the 9.3x62 as being the better choice. The subject is the Whelen, the whole Whelen and nothing but the Whelen.
I agree with the comments on the 1 in 16" twist as being too damn slow. IIRC, Whelen and Howe decided on a 1 in 12" twist.
I have three rifles in .35 Whelen, two factory and a custom on an Oberndorf Mauser action. Naturally, the factory guns have the 1 in 16" twist, and the custom which I bought second hand has a 1 in 14" twist.
I'm thinking of building another .35 Whelen with a 1 in 12" twist that Whelen and Howe felt was proper.
JMHO, but I feel that Remington screwed up by downloading the Whelen from it's true potential just so they could use it in their pump action rifle. Seems to me, they also screwed up the .280 Remington for the same reason. But that's for another thread.
As far as disposing of the .338 for a Whelen, I have both. Seems like once I adopt a rifle, it never leaves the fold. Big Grin
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey John, you of all people know how long I've lusted for a whelen. If you recall I almost bought your ruger a few years ago.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark65x55:
Hey John, you of all people know how long I've lusted for a whelen. If you recall I almost bought your ruger a few years ago.

Mark, I've got both and if you "just" want one that's a good enough reason. As far as the better of the two or a go to gun, the 338WM wins every time.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark65x55:

And if I remember correctly, it shot some of its best groups in a HS Precision stock that I bought from you.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me first start by saying I have two Whelens I love dearly. I have a 338 and a 340 Weatherby which are also favorites. I use the Whelen in different situations than the 338/340. Both the 338 and 340 offer much more long range potential. Better IMHO for Namibia or perhaps a western elk hunt. I feel the Whelen has less recoil and to me is more pleasant to shoot. The Whelen is a perfect Pennsylvania deer/bear cartridge and will go hunting with me in Michigan in the fall. No question about it, you need both!!! beer

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too suffered from the same illness. The cure? Just have both, plus a whole lot of others to help keep the itch from coming back. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is clear and evident in my opinion of Why you want a 35 Whelan so much. It is the domestic cartridge that comes closest to the performance of a 338/06! IN European cartridges that is why he 9.3 x 62 is so popular. It comes the closest to the performance of a 338/06 again.

YOU know you could build the Whelan, and then the 9.3 x 62 next, or you could just cut to the chase and build the 338/06 you have always secretly wanted. Big Grin

cheers
seafire
eh?
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote