Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 magnum early pre64
 Login/Join

posted
I have a EARLY pre64 Winchester rifle, barrel is marked 300 magnum. I have not shot this rifle it sits in the back of the safe. I want to cast the chamber to double check size what is a good product to use for this?

meade

Posts: 7 | Location: everett | Registered: 26 August 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cerrosafe.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
If it’s an early gun, and by early as in pre war early, you have a 300H&H

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
it has a post war type safety but you are correct I believe chambers 300hh just like butter

meade

one of us
posted Hide Post
A .300 H&H would not chamber a .300 Win magnum rifle, nor would a .300 Win Mag chamber a .300 H&H rifle. If it chambers a .300 H&H round then you're good. Of course, some clever prior owner could have rechambered to .300 WBY without marking it, but you're still good shooting .300 H&H in it which will simply blow out to conform to the WBY chamber.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pre64 that was rechambered to 300 Weatherby Mag, which was not uncommon. Mine is correctly marked.

If it bothers you and you are unsure a cast is an easy solution. If you don't like the idea of cerrosafe you can use sulphur. Some mix in graphite with the sulphur. Google how to do it.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a 300 H&H, Only the 300 H&H was marked 300 Magnum, all 300 Win mags were marked 300 win mag. but if you have doubts run it by a gunsmith and he can advise you. BTW at one time the 300 H&Hs were marked 300 magnum for a sales pitch to the then public as I recall. then later on marked 30 H&H...You stipulate early, is your gun pre war or pre 64 or has it been rechambered is your question to be?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It does not have the pre war safety however the serial number looks pretty low. also the stock is low comb for iron sites

meade

One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to Rule Winchester changed the caliber stamping in 1950. 1950's production started at 131730.

Posts: 725 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would trade you my high comb stock in ecellent condition for your low comb stock? I shoot irons a lot and I shoot scopes with low comb stocks quite well.. sofa

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm going to keep this one as is. I do have a low comb stock (well used) from another pre64 rifle it however was a non magnum action. It also had a bull barrel but its uncut with the metal butt plate. I would sell. I can send you pictures. Like I said well used. It was from Alaska goat gun lots of miles. I ended up pulling the action and rebarreling/restocking it.

meade

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer but I need a near new trade.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120