New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber 8400
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am planning to purchase my son one of these rifles in .300 Win Short mag. Can anyone offer any feedback as far as fit, finish and accuracy?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had one in 270 WSM since they first got shipped last fall. It's one of my favorite hunting rifles.

Mine is a good shooter but not great. Here is a current thread on them.

Kimber 8400 Montana

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,
Based on your question I am led to believe that you have not seen or handled a Kimber 8400. Although I own rifles with synthetic stocks and stainless steel actions and barrels, there is something about blue steel and oil finished wood that speaks to my soul. So what I have to say does not pertain to the “Montana†version of the Kimber model 8400.
I have two of the Kimber 8400's. Both are the wood stocked 8400 Classics. The first I purchased was the 300 WSM, the second was 7WSM. When the 325’s come out,I will more than likely purchase one of those also.
Maybe it’s the varmint hunter or target shooter in me but I have almost exclusively owned heavy barreled bolt guns, be they Remington, Ruger, Sako , Savage, Weatherby or Winchester. I’ve stayed away from sporter weight barrels on at least 30 of the rifles that I own. If I recall correctly, Browning and Winchester came out with their different models in the 300 WSM first. I did not care for any of the different incarnations from Browning or Winchester. I kept hoping Remington would come out with a 300 WSM on the order of a Sendero, ie, a 26†heavy barreld rifle with a wide or beaver tailed fore-end. Then I started reading about the Kimber 8400 in the different gun rags I took. I must have read 10 different reviews of the 8400. Not a bad review among them. I decided I had to see one. Shortly before the ’03 hunting season, I had my local gunshop special order one in 300 WSM. When it came in and I got a look and a feel, it was love at first sight. The wood is AA walnut, and this particular rifle had excellent grain and figure. It is a scaled down mauser action with a Winchester type three position safety and a controlled feed. For a production rifle the fit and finish are as good as any thing I’ve seen. It has aluminum and glass bedding and the barrel is free floated. The trigger is adjustable and breaks clean with no creep or overtravel. I ‘ve adjusted the triggers to 2.5 lbs. The 300 WSM shoot’s ¾ inch 100 yd groups with 165 gr. Hornady interbonds and Sierra HPBT’s.
I picked up the 7wsm in the summer of ’04. I was in my local gunshop showing one of the guys a couple of targets that I had shot with the kimber 300 wsm. After bragging a little and showing off the targets, he says to me, let me show you something. It was a 7wsm that they had special ordered for a guy who changed his mind for a 270wsm. This rifle had the most beautiful wood I’ve seen on a production rifle. The salesman knocked $150 off retail and I bought it on the spot. This 7WSM shoots cloverleafs at 100 yds with 150 gr. Nosler ballistic tips. Between fall 03 and now I have taken two deer and numerous hogs with these guns. These rifles are light, point great, have mild recoil, and are a pleasure to shoot. They have totally changed my thinking about sporter weight barrels and light rifles. Also, no matter what group of hunters I have been with, these rifles always garner attention. As you can probably tell, I don’t think you can go wrong with the Kimber 8400 classics.