New
Find
Notify
Tools

Somebody talk me out of this!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Remington Custom Shop mountain rifle in .350 Rem Mag that I have been trying to sell for some time. This rifle is a non cataloged gun I orginally ordered a model seven and this is what Remington built. Last night I was reading about the .358 UMT and measured the magazine opening in the rifle, I can have this rifle rechambered to this round.(300 ultra mag necked up to .358) Do I need it? No, I live in south Louisiana and whitetail deer and hogs are the largest game I probably will ever get to hunt. Should I do it or not?

Posts: 87 | Location: St. Rose, LA USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hayes4 No. You do not need the extra recoil or agravation. The 350 rem mag is an excellent cartridge for deer and pigs... and bigger stuff too. If you need anything bigger get a double rifle in 450/400, 470, or one of the best the 450 No2.. [Big Grin]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Don't do it! Spend the money on components and shoot!

Tim

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
If you have plenty of money go ahead. But the gun will be worth less after you do it.

The big thing however is that it does not have CRF and therefore, in theory, is not a dangerous game rifle.

Sell it.

<bigcountry>
posted
I kinda agree with the rest of the crowd here. I loved the idea when I read about it also. But its a hell of alot more recoil thanthe 35Rem you got for deer and pigs. And Its kinda between a Dangerous Game round and and Elk Round. Just doesn't lean one way or the other. I also read thinking about it myself for an african trip I might be taking next year. But then thought of other rounds maybe better suited for such. If you just want something different, maybe a 35 Whelen would be cool. I would say the .358UMT would be a good bear gun, but most bear kills are under 100 yards which the 35 rem can easily handle. I would be curious on how it works out. From his data, the round seemed rather finicky about powder type and bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two things. One, the 350 rem Mag is all the cartridge you'll ever really need for that type of hunting (and is a damn good cartridge). Two, if it's a non-catalogued item from Remington, seems to me there should be some collector value, which if you rechamber it there won't be. As an aside, if this is a Remington short action, I don't think a 358 Ultra mag will fit. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
That gun will have some serious value with .350 rem. mag lovers. You'll have no problem selling it. But don't change it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bad Idea = Change the gun
Good Idea = Send Pecos the money you just saved.

Some folks can tear up a steel ball...don't be one of them. [Big Grin]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The .350 Remington Magnum is an excellent cartridge. Keep your rifle as-is, save the money you would have spent converting it to yet another ho-hum wildcat, and use that dough to help finance a hunt for yourself someplace.

AD

<JOHAN>
posted
Paul

Keep the gun it will be a nicely suited rifle from hunting in the Swampy state of Louisiana. Go on and treat yourself with something, but don't rebuild that rifle.

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
. . . you would also loose one round of magazine capacity unless you also widened the box and altered the stock to fit the new box -- even then you might have trouble fitting 3 of the fat WSM's in the magazine. The Remington prototype Ultramags only held 2.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<North of 60>
posted
Please don't do it. The 350 Rem Mag is a wonderful cartridge. 2700 ft/sec with 225 grain bullets give you 300 yard range and lots of power in a relatively mild kicking rig. You really don't need the extra powder capacity.