Find
Notify
Tools

How bad did I get hurt?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
I just got my new toy back from the 'smith and wanted to know what you guys thought about the price.
Savage m111 300 Win Mag new:$319
adj. recoil pad:$50
bolt jewelled:$60
muzzle brake:$75
BSA 6x24x40 scope with sunshade, mounts, rings and mounted:$140.75
replaced plastic trigger guard:$22
Total cost:$666.75
How bad did I get hurt? All the work that was done is excellent.

------------------
don't cuss farmers and ranchers with your mouth full

[This message has been edited by ElCaballero (edited 04-27-2002).]

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Doesn't sound extreme, then again I have never had (yet) much work done on a rifle. Just little stuff. Now take it out and shoot it .

------------------

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
I think you paid fair-market value. If you are happy, then you did good.

MM

<six4aTD>
posted
I think you did quite well. I personally think the jeweled bolt makes a gun look a 100% better. And the BSA scope is underrated. I have one on a .22 and though I haven't shot it much, it seems to be clear, looks great on the gun, and offers a lot of features for the money.

And as earlier stated, if you like the rifle, then no amount is too much. Have fun!

<T/Jazz>
posted
Those prices don't seem bad at all compared to the ones my smith charges.

Example: recoil pad $80

jewel bolt $70

install his muzzle brake $150

Sounds like you got off at a low end price.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
T/jazz --- you need a new smith.

JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The prices you paid for the work are fine (although the recoil pad sounds a bit steep to someone who is always thinking '70's prices). Unfortunately, the bolt jewelling and muzzle brake probably decreased rather than increased the value of your gun, and the BSA scope has absolutely no resale value.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I don't get the purpose for the jeweled bolt. If you are trying to make the Savage look better, you're wasting your time and money - all the jeweling in the world (or anything else)can make a Savage look better, it's like putting frosting on a dog turd... IMHO you should have spent the money on ammo,etc.

Bottom line:If it makes you happy, then you did fine. Otherwise you spent $666.75 too much.

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bolt jewelling does have a functional use. It helps maintain a lubricated bolt. I think anything done to help the shooter feel like he is improving his weapon, and his self-esteem is fine. Every addition to these elements of shooting steps each of us closer to the perfect rifle for ourselves. Some will be happy with the Savage. My father killed many deer with his and for him it was all he ever needed. My grandfater killed many deer with a Sear/Roebuck bolt action shotgun using slugs and OObuckshot. I wouldn't sell either one for all the game in Africa. For some it won't end until they own a Rigby or a Westley Richard or some other weapon as yet unnamed.
For me. I am building better and better rifles all the time. My first alteration to a rifle was adding colored wax to the lettering and stamping on a Winchester 70. This week I am ordering a custom ghost ring for a 458 Lott. Tomarrow I may jewell my fathers Savage. It is all part of what makes me feel good.
I hope you feel good about the additions you make for your own rifles.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I like savages. I like jewelled bolts and I don't plan on selling the scope. One of these days I'll drop my rifle and bust the scope and I'll just cry about $90 worth and buy another.

------------------
don't cuss farmers and ranchers with your mouth full

[This message has been edited by ElCaballero (edited 04-30-2002).]

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote