New
Find
Notify
Tools

New stock for the savage
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been thinking of buying a stock for my Savage 111 .300win mag. I think I have decided on a Stockade from Lock Stock and Barrel. My question is, Do you guys feel that the stock will make much of a difference? I haven't started handloading yet but I'm almost there. I just don't have alot of faith in the way the stock and barrel are attatched now. Thanks, Chain

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My model 110 in 300 win always shot great with the facturey stock but I made the mistake of not glass bedding it and not putting a cross bolt behind the front recoil lug. I,m looking at a new stock for this. I found out after last hunting season after pulling my barrel and action out, the wood is seperating behind the front recoil lug and at the back reciever screw. The local gun smith told me he could fix it but I might just order a new stock. I have been shooting it for 12 years now with nothing but reloads. 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and 80grs of H1000.

I miss hunting in B.C.

Posts: 84 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting mine (syn) stock but I just can't imagine it is good as these Stockade stocks also I'm going to get a longer LOP. My barrel and action are held on with just one screw now, it just doesn't look all that sound to me. I've been thinking about this for a couple years and I'm going out west so i think I'm going to make the change. Thanks Chain

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently replaced the stocks on my Savage 116 300 RUM and my 110FP 25-06 with the Bell & Carlson Duramax stocks. Although both rifles were shooting .75" groups or less with the factory stocks. The stock replacement increased the accuracy on both these rifles.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I have a Stockade on my 7mag. It's pretty bulky and heavy, but it's a strong, stable stock. It's bedded. It shoots sub moa.

I have a Bell and Carlson "cadet" tupperware stock on my kid's 223. It's bedded, and it averages in the 0.7's.

The moral of the story is that a good bedding job does wonders. If you want a synthetic stock, for one reason or another, go for it, but don't expect miracles. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the stock I have now is synthetic? It is the stock that came with the rifle new. Should I bed this new one or not? I was under the impression that it wasn't necessary. Thanks Chain

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine any kind of mass-produced stock that would not benefit from good a bedding job. Savages "pillars" are soft, and sometimes don't even touch the action.

You can play with it very easily. Cut some shim stock (aluminum or hard plastic), and shim the action up behind the first and second action bolt. This will raise the action clear of every point of contact with the stock. Shoot it, to see if it improves.

With the Savage, it is important that the tang doesn't press on the stock with any kind of pressure. That is the most common problem with their stocks I see. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just recieved one of the new Savage/stevens 200 in .243. it looks like an old savage clone. Haven't shot it uet but the stock, grey fiberglass ? has very sharp edges where the seams come togather. (so bad I acutally cut my hands on the rifles forearm checker) Can I remove these seams with changing the color of the stock and how?
Any one got a good load for the .243 with Sierra 85 grn hpbt and imr4350 ?

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you. Either way it's alwasys exciting. Sieze the Day !

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took the stock on one of My Browning A Bolts, which was black synthetic and just spray painted it with some textured black spray paint from Walmart, that people use on grills etc.

The stock's color was fading. However the textured Black has not only not faded any, but the texturing adds grip surface especially in Oregon rainy Elk Season.

The paint cost me $3.00 or so I think.

I replace a lot of stocks tho with Boyd's Laminate Stocks. I prefer Laminate over Synthetic anyday.

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like laminatr also but I don't know where to get one for my savage. Any ideads? Thanks Chain

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boyd's makes a laminate for Savage 10's.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They don't make one that is pillar bedded. The stockade stock I was going to buy is pillar bedded, Do you think it makes alot of difference? The stockade was synthetic, the boyd's wasa laminated. Thanks. This is for a savage .300 wim mag Model 116 Chain

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage M110 in 243 that came with the factory syn. stock. I had a Savage laminated stock put on it and it was free-floated and bedded. The reason was that the stock had too much flex in my opinion and the lam. one is more rigid. Groups didn't improve much, but they're more consistant and recoil (I know, it's just a 243) is now nothing but a gentle push. I benefitted from it as it's heavier and more rigid and it has made shooting more consistant for me.

Posts: 69 | Location: Havelock, NC USA | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chain,

I have a Savage 110 in 7RM that I originally bought with the cheap synthetic stock. It shot well off of bags but whenever I tried to shoot off of a bipod or changed the pressure on the forend the shots would move dramatically (at least 2" at 200 yrds. I started looking into getting a new stock for it, and not having enough $$$ to put it in a McMillan I found that Brownells makes fiberglass stocks to fit the Savage rifles (including those with Accutrigger). I ended up purchasing the "Mule Deer" model for a little less than $200 (if I remember correctly). It has a full-length aluminum bedding block that runs from the rear action screw to the front swivel and makes it very rigid. I had to get a new front action screw because the new stock was thicker, and widened the barrel channel a little bit to free-float the heavy barrel. Now, it shoots like a dream (consisitently 1/2 MOA) regardless of sandbags, bipod, etc. I highly recommend it. They also have a variety of different types of stocks, which range from a Bench Rest type stock to thin sporters.

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the URL for the Brownell's stocks:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=19483&title=SAVAGE+PILLAR-BEDDED+SYNTHETIC+STOCKS

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to Brownell's. I wanted to get the longer LOP that the "hunting Sporter" provides, I think I'm going to research these a bit. Thanks for the info. Chain

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention, if you go with the Brownell's stock, it comes unfinished so you will have to prime + paint it, but for the price difference between that and, say, a McMillan A-5, it's worth it. (REALLY wanted that A-5, though!)

Tim

George Orwell

one of us
Picture of RobinB
posted Hide Post
You may want to contact Hogue (www.getgrip.com). Their web site does not mention Savage, but I spoke to them about a year back and they said they were going to produce a stock for the Savage.

Robin

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He stayed up all night wondering if there's a dog.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want a stock for a savage rifle....Sharp Shooters Savage Specialties is THE place to be looking. They work only on savage rifles. They make a very nice syn replacement stock. Pretty similar to the mc millan. They also do custom work. And their prices are extremely reasonable. Thats where i would look first.

If it dont fit...force it. If ya cant force it...get a bigger hammer. If it breaks...it probably needed replacing anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
280's right also--Sharp Shooters Supply is the place to go for a lot of Savage stuff:

www.sharpshootersupply.com

Tim

George Orwell

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. I got one ordered, can't wait till it gets here. Chain

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I rebarrelled my 112 to 223 AI I also went ahead and replaced the stock with a Bell and Carlson heavy barrel stock. Very happy and have had some come over to ask about the gun/stock combo. S/S fluted heavy barrel and a blued action with the B&C stock in OD with the black spiderweb. Very happy with the stock.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote